Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
My best polaris experiences entailed eating the curry chicken udon in PJs with a napkin buttoned to my torso.
Worked for me for the upper part as I use the upper part as a sweatshirt. I never use the bottom parts of the pajamas. My mistake.....as on three different flights the sauce of the spicy chicken or the ginseng chicken bowl landed on the bottom parts of my pants. Maybe I should quit using chopsticks to eat those dishes......

I ask for the pajamas (and the mattress pad) shortly after I board the plane. I tell the FAs that they could bring them when they feel that have the time as I know that they are busy with more important stuff. This year, I never had to wait more than 5 minutes.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH

I ask for the pajamas (and the mattress pad) shortly after I board the plane. I tell the FAs that they could bring them when they feel that have the time as I know that they are busy with more important stuff. This year, I never had to wait more than 5 minutes.
That has been m experience as well. I do have to admit that it is rather frustrating that we are paying for a J seat and amenities (either with cash and/or miles/instruments) and we have to parse our words and hope not to offend the FA for fear of not getting our request. We are the customers right?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
That has been m experience as well. I do have to admit that it is rather frustrating that we are paying for a J seat and amenities (either with cash and/or miles/instruments) and we have to parse our words and hope not to offend the FA for fear of not getting our request. We are the customers right?
Yes, but from UA's perspective the more important question is "Are you the right customer?"
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by chavala
No pockets??? I wish I hoarded more of the old ones. Left these on the plane. Useless for home. And what's with the giant United logo across the shirt? How tacky.
Picked up my first pair of the new PJs and I have to say I am NOT impressed. Threadbare, no pockets, no drawstring, and 50% polyester (?!?!?!) I hoarded the old ones, thankfully, and will be bringing them along for trips from now on. Do Not intend to be the walking billboard with the Polaris label spread across my backside...BTW, has anyone else noticed how cheap the socks have become? Honestly, they barely fit my size 12 feet...and again, threadbare and polyester.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by catahoulafriend
BTW, has anyone else noticed how cheap the socks have become? Honestly, they barely fit my size 12 feet...and again, threadbare and polyester.
No, I just bring an additional pair of my own socks and toiletries. I usually hand the amenities to a parent with young children heading for economy.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
No, I just bring an additional pair of my own socks and toiletries. I usually hand the amenities to a parent with young children heading for economy.
Oh I wish I had thought to do this once I had the allocation of the Spider Man kits for my friends with kids. Will keep this in mind for the future.

I actually prefer the feel of the new pyjamas but could do without the HUGE logo on the back of the top. The discrete logo on the front of the previous top was much nicer. I do take them from the plane as ise them during the rest of my trip. Also, for flights without pyjamas or where I am in E+/PP I bring the old pair of pyjamas to wear on red eyes.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K/*G & Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Polaris Pajamas - Old vs New

Looks like I am not alone in missing the pockets and overall quality of the old/original Polaris Pajamas:
https://onemileatatime.com/united-bu...class-pajamas/June'19
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-amenity-improvements/ Jan'20

If you are one of those like me who like to get PJs while onboard (or take them home), what's your take on the current Polaris PJs?

Hope someone from United looks at this thread before selecting a new vendor/design for the next year

BTW, it's great to see that United is upping its game by offering PJs for all Polaris passengers without having to aks for it, and amenities in Economy too - https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...-improvements/
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:48 am

Let me see, there are 3 choices of airlines ORD-TYO: ANA, JAL and UA. It's not easy to sort 1st and 2nd place but 3rd place is abundantly clear. Maybe UA thinks by offering economy class some earplugs and eyeshades they'll just fall asleep and not notice the horrendous meals and indifferent service.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
You can't make them too nice, otherwise people take them home.
I bet they go through less of the new ones because many don't consider them worth taking off the plane.
For UA it's a double win: the new ones likely cost less and they aren't having to buy as many!

BTW, some like the new ones better.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik
I bet they go through less of the new ones because many don't consider them worth taking off the plane.
For UA it's a double win: the new ones likely cost less and they aren't having to buy as many!

BTW, some like the new ones better.
i like the old ones much better and have been wearing them on every flight.

I do still get the new ones to give to the homeless.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:41 am

I am not sure the homeless need pajamas as much as warm clothing...and homes.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
To be clear, travelers are expected and encouraged to take them home. There is no chance United is reusing pajamas once they’re opened.

The only way they’d reuse clothing is if it was still in unopened its its plastic wrapper. If they’re opened and left on the plane, they’re doubtless donated or otherwise recycled.

You’re almost certainly correct that the new ones cost less, though.

Originally Posted by mctaste
I am not sure the homeless need pajamas as much as warm clothing...and homes.
No one suggested otherwise. But shelters can use all kinds of clothing. The United pjs could easily be worn as long underwear, for example.
narvik and DutchessPDX like this.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Jan 28, 2020 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: united
While this is clearly a positive change, especially in economy, lately I’ve been bringing my own sleepwear, instead of using the set United hands out. While the carrier is using the same manufacturer as before, I find United’s previous Polaris pajamas to be considerably higher-end, with longer-lasting materials and pockets in the pants.
Unless Zach Honig, who flies business class 300 times a year, is a hoarder, I don't get this criticism. The pajamas have to last, at most, 16 hours or so. At most.

​​​​​​Longer lasting materials literally don't matter. And I would assume people who can afford business class can afford sleepwear.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Unless Zach Honig, who flies business class 300 times a year, is a hoarder, I don't get this criticism. The pajamas have to last, at most, 16 hours or so. At most.

​​​​​​
My first pair of Polaris pajamas lasted over 2 years of constant sweatsuit-like use at home. Had I known that UA would switch to a brand with no pockets or drawstring waist, I would have been hoarding them. I don't mind the lower quality as much -- but I really hate the fact that they don't have pockets or a drawstring waist.
DrVC likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by SS255
My first pair of Polaris pajamas lasted over 2 years of constant sweatsuit-like use at home. Had I known that UA would switch to a brand with no pockets or drawstring waist, I would have been hoarding them. I don't mind the lower quality as much -- but I really hate the fact that they don't have pockets or a drawstring waist.
Sure, i realize people do re-use them. I use amenity kits after I fly, so I get it.

It just seemed strange as a criticism of the product. The idea is you may not have brought pajamas in your carry-on and you will want to sleep. So they give you pajamas. Great!

But Honig's comment seized on an aspect of the product that is irrelevant to the reasons they give you the pajamas. It would be like complaining that they only give you a small tube of toothpaste that will quickly run out and not a full size tube in the amenity kit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.