Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I wish they packaged the tops and the bottoms separately. I never wear the bottoms, but wear the tops whenever I win the “we have some on board” lottery.

Incidentally, I received them on SFO-PEK a couple of weeks ago, but was told they didn’t have any left on PEK-SFO due to handing them all out on the prior outbound flight.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by SS255
My first pair of Polaris pajamas lasted over 2 years of constant sweatsuit-like use at home. Had I known that UA would switch to a brand with no pockets or drawstring waist, I would have been hoarding them. I don't mind the lower quality as much -- but I really hate the fact that they don't have pockets or a drawstring waist.
Without the pockets I don't need the drawstrings.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Unless Zach Honig, who flies business class 300 times a year, is a hoarder, I don't get this criticism. The pajamas have to last, at most, 16 hours or so. At most.

​​​​​​Longer lasting materials literally don't matter. And I would assume people who can afford business class can afford sleepwear.
I can afford sleepwear (fortunately), but that doesn't imply I'm going to trash the Polaris ones after just one use.
DrVC and goodeats21 like this.

Last edited by malgudi; Jan 28, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by malgudi
I can afford sleepwear (fortunately), but it doesn't imply I'm going to trash the Polaris ones after just one use.
I'm not saying you should. I'm saying as long as the pajamas last the length of the flight, they have done the job that United intended them to. It's kind of silly to ding United for the fact that their one-use product (offered to people with the money to afford business class) isn't durable.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I'm not saying you should. I'm saying as long as the pajamas last the length of the flight, they have done the job that United intended them to. It's kind of silly to ding United for the fact that their one-use product (offered to people with the money to afford business class) isn't durable.
There's that money comment again

Personally, I try to reuse stuff as much as I can before trashing them ... I suspect there are others who think alike and would like to reduce contributing to an already overflowing landfill.
Lori_Q likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: united

Personally, I try to reuse stuff as much as I can before trashing them ... I suspect there are others who think alike and would like to reduce contributing to an already overflowing landfill.
Landfill? I doubt this sort of line of thinking comes out of environmental concerns (after all, one can donate one's clothes to thrift stores if one wants to avoid the landfill). I think it has to do with some other factors.

United isn't in the pajamas business. They are in the air transportation business. The pajamas aren't given out because they think their business class customers need free pajamas. They are given out because it makes a business class flight more comfortable.

So when they hand out pajamas that are still usable for that purpose, but less durable for re-use, they haven't done anything inconsistent with their mission as an airline. They've just tailored the benefit more carefully to its purpose.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:37 pm

I've washed my new ones at least 6-7 times. I have 2 pairs of new PJs that I routinely wear. I put the old ones away that I got last December (been using 2 pairs also). They hold up remarkably well for how poorly they're made.

I do prefer the old ones overall for the pockets, but the old design was just far too loose (like garbage bags).
iluv2fly and malgudi like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Well, I am now grateful that I have saved all these Polaris PJs. They have become my daily uniform while working from home, isolated from the more fashion forward.

Bored, but comfortable. And healthy for now.

Strength all. We will fly again soon.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, I am now grateful that I have saved all these Polaris PJs. They have become my daily uniform while working from home, isolated from the more fashion forward.

Bored, but comfortable. And healthy for now.

Strength all. We will fly again soon.
Same here. I just have to remember to keep my camera off on Teams!
narvik and atword like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:13 am

SFO-DEL is not listed on the wiki, but I'm assuming that's just because the wiki hasn't been updated?

Are they still giving out pajamas/slippers these days?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
SFO-DEL is not listed on the wiki, but I'm assuming that's just because the wiki hasn't been updated?

Are they still giving out pajamas/slippers these days?
You're lucky to get a sandwich these days in F and you are asking about pajamas??
Dyce likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
You're lucky to get a sandwich these days in F and you are asking about pajamas??
Priorities, mon ami
Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
+1. I'm still using the 5 sets of jammies I harvested from a few years ago. They've held up well through many washings. I try to buy only natural fibers, so the 100% cotton means these pajamas will live on in other sewing projects and household uses.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
You can buy a set. (Tip: not worth it). The older style maybe.

Or as part of a kit on sale (2nd link). A better deal if you planned to buy the gel pillow anyway.

https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=10000

uanj likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You can buy a set. (Tip: not worth it). The older style maybe.

Or as part of a kit on sale (2nd link). A better deal if you planned to buy the gel pillow anyway.

Interesting link! The PJs are 10.50 while the Polaris Deathstar salt and pepper shakers are 10.00. I would go with the PJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.