Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TexasVC
I've gotten them on NRT-DEN which is only 10.5 hours. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How long is it from DEN-NRT? it is an average of 12hrs, or 24hrs RT
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TexasVC
I've gotten them on NRT-DEN which is only 10.5 hours. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not standard on NRT-DEN but FAs have been know to provide them on other routes if some are available on the plane (leftovers from a listed route).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I just wear comfy somewhat loose clothes - change in club etc prior to boarding - sweats if I want to sleep. I've never actually worn the pajamas - I just give them away after.....
Changing into sweats and changing into pjs is about the same.

On very long flights I like to change twice anyway. I really do not like waking up in my clothes and continuing to wear them.

If the airline provides the pjs, it is just a little easier than having to go in and out of my luggage.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by magellan01
Always board early, always change immediately. No reason to spill anything on your own clothes. The lavs are tough - it is very verticle change. Always keep shoes on and do the one leg at a time trick, never putting sock on floor. Hanging up clothes is a very good idea on these long hauls. I keep them if they are great - and will wear them on a long flight where they do not offer them - yes, I might be the only one with PJs on, but no one knows me - who cares.

As to avoiding putting them on not to do an emergency evac in PJs, wow, been travelling a long time, never been down a chute. If returning to gate, plenty of time to change back.

PJs rule!
+1. When I am asked for PDB I always ask for the pajamas immediately. It's the best to get it all done before takeoff. After takeoff, you would have to squeeze through the drink carts, or wait until the desert is done, which is usually two hours after take-off. Yes it takes long.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Any chance of PJs, EWR-TLV Polaris?

I know the EWR-TLV route doesn't qualify for pajama handouts, but I wonder whether they might be available if I ask. Has anyone succeeded at this?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I know the EWR-TLV route doesn't qualify for pajama handouts, but I wonder whether they might be available if I ask. Has anyone succeeded at this?
I am pretty sure that they would not be catered in the first place...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
They are only stocked on flights where both directions are 12+ hrs
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Okay, thanks. I'll bring my own.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There have been scattered reports of folks of being successful on non-standard routes but would not be something to count on.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
+1. When I am asked for PDB I always ask for the pajamas immediately. It's the best to get it all done before takeoff. After takeoff, you would have to squeeze through the drink carts, or wait until the desert is done, which is usually two hours after take-off. Yes it takes long.
+1. I also ask as early as possible and like to change before the crew gets busy with dinner service, etc. I really like having the PJs and along with the improved bedding give United credit for the major improvements with Polaris.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Okay, thanks. I'll bring my own.
I have flown EWR to TLV a few times and received pajamas every time upon request.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by solma
I have flown EWR to TLV a few times and received pajamas every time upon request.
The voice of experience! Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
I imagine LAX-SIN (and SIN-LAX) must be eligible for pajama service, right? I don't see it in the Wiki, but just thought I'd ask...maybe someone can confirm?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I imagine LAX-SIN (and SIN-LAX) must be eligible for pajama service, right? I don't see it in the Wiki, but just thought I'd ask...maybe someone can confirm?
I have the same question -- am doing this route in a couple of months...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
yes, I got one last month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.