Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
NH F they practically drag you to the lav once you are boarded to change.
That was not my experience. I also have no problem explaining that I prefer to wait and that I'll enjoy a drink instead. :-:
Originally Posted by Mel Grant
The pee is still there!! You just don't see the obvious puddles!!
The risk of basically anything bad happening from standing in dried urine is roughly zero. Don't lick the lav floor and you should be fine.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
If up front on a wide body where you turn left and Y goes right, I'll board ASAP and change during PDB/boarding. I always ask the FA's if they mind, and they never object (esp as Y takes 10-25 minutes to board, paperwork, etc).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Can see this being an issue on the TATL flights (where the pajamas are not even offered), but I just flew UA179 two weeks ago and had minimal issues with using the starboard lavatory in J - don't see why is this a big deal.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
The whole issue is moot for me. When I travel, I'm already wearing PJs underneath a Smoking Jacket... Hugh Hefner style.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I had no probs.. left hand side lav in the 787 has a fold down seat next to the loo..
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by LordHamster
The whole issue is moot for me. When I travel, I'm already wearing PJs underneath a Smoking Jacket... Hugh Hefner style.
I wear pajama top under my boarding clothes.

I use the changing table to set my jacket and shirt after I take them off.

I wear the jacket but not shirt when I land. I will change in the handicapped bathroom when I land (no table, so that's tough to accomplish).

I always save my hotel slippers and carry them on to wear to the bathroom -- I always seem to have extra slippers at home (I take them on the outbound flights). I use United socks and leave slippers and socks on the plane.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Not seeing the big deal. Use the changing table as a platform and wear the supplied socks and slippers from the amenity kit. If you can't change clothes while standing up then just sit down on the toilet lid. I've spent years changing in locker rooms and don't need much space.

In terms of timing, I always wait until immediately before or after any meal service or in the middle of a movie to make my move. Most people start their movies at about the same time and just about everyone waits until the movie is over to use the loo.

So I will change immediately after dinner service - before other people's PDB and meal have "landed" and they need to go; and right when they come out with the coffee for breakfast service I'll be the first one to change back to my street clothes.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radiowell
THIS is the key to a successful change in a cramped space, along with optimal use of the hooks. If worried about the cleanliness of the changing table, just don't throw away the various plastic covers (from blankets, amenity kit, etc.) and use them.
+1. I always seek the bathrooms with the "baby changing" sign. I usually have a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol in my carry-on, which comes in handy for such occasions as well.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by JetAway
The "bathroom" isn't just for doing your "business." It's a privacy area to attend to personal needs. Many carriers have toothbrushes, shaving kits, combs available in these rooms (see e.g., SQ Business and NH Business).
Shaving etc are clearly private "bathroom" events. not all private4 desires are equal How about tying it up to make a private telephone call?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by morelegroom
How about tying it up to make a private telephone call?
Using the bathroom to make a telephone call mid-flight?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by radiowell
Emphasis mine. THIS is the key to a successful change in a cramped space, along with optimal use of the hooks. If worried about the cleanliness of the changing table, just don't throw away the various plastic covers (from blankets, amenity kit, etc.) and use them.
Yup, shower sandals and disposable plastic bags are two key tools for any of these exercises. I'll often grab one of the bin liners out of the little trashbin(s) he cleaning staff changed in my room right before I checkout and use that to put things like shower sandals in.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
Using the bathroom to make a telephone call mid-flight?
Richard Thornburg did. Got tasered for it, too.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Richard Thornburg did. Got tasered for it, too.
This wins the internet for the day. If I drank coffee I would have snorted it all over the place.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by Mel Grant
The pee is still there!! You just don't see the obvious puddles!!
As long as it's not wet, you can put down a paper seat cover on the floor. You will have to pick it up with your hands and flush it when done. Just remember to wash your hands...or risk indirectly licking the floor!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
If there is time for anyone who wants to take a shower on EK OR EYs 380's, I can't imagine there not being enough time to just slip in or out of a pair of PJ's on a United flight???

Forget showers & A380s, most foreign airlines have been giving out PJs for over 20 years. I've never heard or seen problems with people not having enough time or room to change on those flights - many operated w 777 & 744s but just as many with A330 & 340s which have notoriously small lavs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.