Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I am also 220lbs and am 6' 4".

i always try to get my hands on the PJ's as soon as possible and go into the bathroom. I am more often than not changed before anyone else has used the bathroom.

No pee on the floor for me to stand on
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:55 am

I am 6'6" and have no problem changing in the pajamas even on the smaller aircraft.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
It's cool that UA finally are offering PJs on long-haul flights. Judging by the photo posted here, the PJs look similar to the AA PJs.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by exwannabe
On the "barefoot" issue, I would be certain that the germ count in the seat area is likely 10x more than that in the bathroom.
I would worry about liquid, not germs.

Some airlines have changing rooms...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I was trying to position myself on a flight to get a pair. Then my husband came home last night from an event that had lots of UA execs. There was a swag bag that included the PJ's!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
Pajamas are nice.
I ask for them but I do not wear them on the plane. I would like to but I really don't think it is feasible for me. I'm 6'5" and 220 lbs.
The issues I see for me are:

1. Bathroom really doesn't afford much maneuverability.
2. Don't want to walk on a public restroom floor with my bare feet.
3. Crowded bathrooms near landing (can't change before landing).
4. Rough weather near landing (can't change before landing).
5. Cuts into my sleeping time (have to get up early for changing).

How do you people who wear the PJs contend with these issues, are they issue with you and do you have other issues and/or solutions?
Granted, I'm not as big as you, but I've been taking "pj's" on long haul flights for 10 years. Like others, I wear the UA socks and wear shoes into the bathroom. Stand on shoes to change, it's not that hard. Just don't tie your shoes so you can slip them off/on.

I've never had a problem with rough weather near landing. Given that my "PJs" are really a pair of pajama bottoms and a t-shirt, if I ever do need to deplane wearing them I won't look worse than a good percentage of the people on the plane wearing sweats and a neck pillow .
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Am I the only one who finds people occupying the bathroom as a changing room to be rude to other flyers? For many years I flew in a track suit. But I changed at the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I change to pajamas on other airlines but not on UA because.

1. The F cabin is not all private (flimsy curtains which they don't close.)

2. The lavs are tiny

3. The lavs are filthy

4. The F seats have little privacy.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by morelegroom
Am I the only one who finds people occupying the bathroom as a changing room to be rude to other flyers? For many years I flew in a track suit. But I changed at the airport.
The "bathroom" isn't just for doing your "business." It's a privacy area to attend to personal needs. Many carriers have toothbrushes, shaving kits, combs available in these rooms (see e.g., SQ Business and NH Business).
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by morelegroom
Probably not, but I certainly see no problem doing that.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
On OZ's A380, there was plenty of room in a standard J class lav and 3times the room in the forward hump lav.

Then we got on their 777, barely enough room to rotate. Not sure how big the lavs are going to be on the new United's 777-300ER, but if its even remotely like whats on the 737, then changing into PJ's is pretty much going to be challenge.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 2017 at 9:16 pm Reason: removed extranous content
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
I change to pajamas on other airlines but not on UA because.

1. The F cabin is not all private (flimsy curtains which they don't close.)

2. The lavs are tiny

3. The lavs are filthy

4. The F seats have little privacy.
Curious are 1 & 4 listed as reasons you do not change AT your seat or that you don't want to be seen in PJs by people in another cabin or in your same cabin even?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by Lewis42
I am also 220lbs and am 6' 4".

i always try to get my hands on the PJ's as soon as possible and go into the bathroom. I am more often than not changed before anyone else has used the bathroom.

No pee on the floor for me to stand on
The pee is still there!! You just don't see the obvious puddles!!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Curious are 1 & 4 listed as reasons you do not change AT your seat or that you don't want to be seen in PJs by people in another cabin or in your same cabin even?
All of the above.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
W/r/t your particular concerns:

1. When on sCO 777 or 787, I'll try to use the handicap-accessible lav to change, as there is much more room to work. Unfortunately narrowbodies, 747, 767 and sUA 777s don't have any larger lavs so I make do as I can. I use the drop-down changing table as a work surface if I have to.
Emphasis mine. THIS is the key to a successful change in a cramped space, along with optimal use of the hooks. If worried about the cleanliness of the changing table, just don't throw away the various plastic covers (from blankets, amenity kit, etc.) and use them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.