Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I get 4-6 assorted PJ's a monthx from EK, EY & SQ and have not opened or wore one in at least 2 years. I have a really comfortable pair of PJ bottoms from ANA (before they started giving PJs out, they "loaned high quality pajamas that you were supposed to give back after the flight (I didn't once). I mix that w a real comfortable long sleeve t-shirt and that's what I fly in. Much more comfortable then any airline PJ's these days. Now if I only knew what to do with my 87 pair of unopened PJ's from assorted carriers. eBays not worth the time or hassle
I threw out 50 pair. That said, TG are my favorite so I've kept a few pair here and there. Now all I have to do is figure out what do with my Rimowa amenity kits. I've got a stack that's 8' tall.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA GS(1.8MM), AA G(1.7MM),Marriott LT Plat, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz Presidents C
The Rimowa kits are very useful - I'm sure that FTers will be happy to get them
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by plc44
So I've started bringing my own pajamas for about 2 years now, its so nice putting on fresh clothes before you get off the plane
Yeah, my $10 Champions cotton sweatpants are probably thicker and more comfortable than the scrubs that United gives.

But I always change back into the same clothes I got onto the plane with. I don't like to soil a fresh pair of clothes without taking a shower at the lounge first.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I get 4-6 assorted PJ's a monthx from EK, EY & SQ and have not opened or wore one in at least 2 years. I have a really comfortable pair of PJ bottoms from ANA (before they started giving PJs out, they "loaned high quality pajamas that you were supposed to give back after the flight (I didn't once). I mix that w a real comfortable long sleeve t-shirt and that's what I fly in. Much more comfortable then any airline PJ's these days. Now if I only knew what to do with my 87 pair of unopened PJ's from assorted carriers. eBays not worth the time or hassle
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Then why even accept them or take them off the plane?
Take them to a shelter or drop off somewhere like Goodwill.
Or offer them up on FT to see who's interested in taking them off your hands!

David
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I was on a non-PJ Polaris flight recently, but there was a bag of them in my overhead, so I now have 2 pair.

Anyway, I have also been bringing my own PJ's for years on longer flights - either airline ones from QF etc, or my own
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I was on a non-PJ Polaris flight recently, but there was a bag of them in my overhead, so I now have 2 pair.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
A PJ story:

A long while ago, a colleague and I were in Seoul and went to a Korean BBQ place. I put on the CX pajama top (to be discarded later) because I didn't want my clothes to smell all smoky. We ran into an acquaintance who was out with his wife. She recognized the pj under my blazer and giggled the whole time.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:45 pm
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I always save my hotel slippers and carry them on to wear to the bathroom... I use United socks and leave slippers and socks on the plane.
Well that is bloody brilliant.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I remember UA provided slippers in GF to/from Asia. Have they discontinued the slippers now?

In fact I believe most other airlines (including AA) provide slippers on TPAC F unless they are cutting costs these days.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
Well that is bloody brilliant.
And the nice thing about hotels is they usually have 2 pairs of slippers. As a 99% single traveler works out to use a pair in the room and then always have a fresh pair to take on flights.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I remember UA provided slippers in GF to/from Asia. Have they discontinued the slippers now?

In fact I believe most other airlines (including AA) provide slippers on TPAC F unless they are cutting costs these days.
I was in Polaris Business - there is no real difference between business and first other than the seat

Just did EWR-HKG-SIN and slippers were provided on all 4 legs
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Time traveller

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I was in Polaris Business - there is no real difference between business and first other than the seat

Just did EWR-HKG-SIN and slippers were provided on all 4 legs
Even before Polaris I know NRT (and I'll assume KIX, HND) got slippers in BF. I'm not sure about the other Asian destinations outside of Japan.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
I threw out 50 pair. That said, TG are my favorite so I've kept a few pair here and there. Now all I have to do is figure out what do with my Rimowa amenity kits. I've got a stack that's 8' tall.
Those I keep - great for storage. Most of the junk inside I throw away. NH uses a Samsonite instead of Rimova $ it's one of the few filled with stuff I actually use. (EKs are good for storage as well and the mini shaving crime is what I travel with
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Then why even accept them or take them off the plane?
Take them to a shelter or drop off somewhere like Goodwill.
Good question for my psychiatrist. I'll bring it up . I do keep a few pair of the EK & NH ones for my mother - she loves watching TV in the winter wearing them
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I have been on many PJ flights - AA, CX, LH, QF, EY, etc. and I have never noticed people not being able to change back into their clothes before landing. Yes - there is a backup towards the end, but everyone has been able to change.

People are much more exposed at the beach then in their airline PJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.