Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TexasVC
My wife constantly makes fun of me when I wear them at home because of the silly vestigial buttons on the collar. Why are they even there?
Yeah I gave my girlfriend one of my pairs and that seems to have killed the teasing.

I really like them.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I had them on NRT-IAD the other day. New 77W, so I used the rather big lavatory right behind door L2. Plenty of space to change, and was able to hang clothes up on the hanger on the door and over the bar on the wall. If you need to change on the 77W, definitely use the lav right by L2.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The hook on the door and slip-on shoes* were all I needed in a smaller 777 lav. Enter lav, hang pajamas on the hook, exchange shirt for pajama top, repeat for pants and pajama bottom while stepping in and out of shoes. Changing socks and shoes for slippers can wait until I'm back at the seat.

* I started wearing only slip-on shoes for travel after removing footwear became part of the security routine and have kept doing that since getting TSA Pre. It's too comfortable to be able to kick off my shoes after takeoff.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCA writer
The hook on the door and slip-on shoes* were all I needed in a smaller 777 lav. Enter lav, hang pajamas on the hook, exchange shirt for pajama top, repeat for pants and pajama bottom while stepping in and out of shoes. Changing socks and shoes for slippers can wait until I'm back at the seat.

* I started wearing only slip-on shoes for travel after removing footwear became part of the security routine and have kept doing that since getting TSA Pre. It's too comfortable to be able to kick off my shoes after takeoff.
Exactly the same.....also, I generally change before pushback. I like to change before the meal cause I don't want to mess up a nice shirt. After takeoff there is time, but FA are busy and they come by and ask questions etc. I don't want to mess up their rhythm, nor miss anything.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Exactly the same.....also, I generally change before pushback. I like to change before the meal cause I don't want to mess up a nice shirt. After takeoff there is time, but FA are busy and they come by and ask questions etc. I don't want to mess up their rhythm, nor miss anything.
If I am one of the first to board, I also change right away. In addition to being more comfortable, it will be the cleanest the lavs will ever be on the flight.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
If I am one of the first to board, I also change right away. In addition to being more comfortable, it will be the cleanest the lavs will ever be on the flight.
Exactly!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: OW Em (AA EXP+5MM), AA CK, Delta Silver, UA 1K
Always board early, always change immediately. No reason to spill anything on your own clothes. The lavs are tough - it is very verticle change. Always keep shoes on and do the one leg at a time trick, never putting sock on floor. Hanging up clothes is a very good idea on these long hauls. I keep them if they are great - and will wear them on a long flight where they do not offer them - yes, I might be the only one with PJs on, but no one knows me - who cares.

As to avoiding putting them on not to do an emergency evac in PJs, wow, been travelling a long time, never been down a chute. If returning to gate, plenty of time to change back.

PJs rule!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by magellan01
Always board early, always change immediately. No reason to spill anything on your own clothes.
Also no reason to be in PJs should you need to evac the plane during takeoff.

Fully dressed - including shoes on and laces tied - with phone and passport on my person, not in a bag until we're off the ground and headed to the destination.
Originally Posted by magellan01
As to avoiding putting them on not to do an emergency evac in PJs, wow, been travelling a long time, never been down a chute. If returning to gate, plenty of time to change back.
Me, neither. But only needs to happen once and the "harm" of being well prepared is minimal compared to the value.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:10 am

Umm, yeah.....I got NO PROBLEM going down the chute in PJ's

I'll stand on the Tarmac proudly and let the professionals take care of whatever issue the plane is having.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Umm, yeah.....I got NO PROBLEM going down the chute in PJ's

I'll stand on the Tarmac proudly and let the professionals take care of whatever issue the plane is having.
Would be great to be the old neighborhood coot with coffee mug and bathrobe getting interviewed by the news.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
I just wear comfy somewhat loose clothes - change in club etc prior to boarding - sweats if I want to sleep. I've never actually worn the pajamas - I just give them away after.....
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
The biggest benefit of the pyjamas is not having to pack alternative loose, comfy clothes to wear on these flights. As someone who travels carry-on only and doesn't sleep in loose clothing at home, it actually makes a difference to not have to pack these and know with certainty you are going to get a pair on board.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Would be great to be the old neighborhood coot with coffee mug and bathrobe getting interviewed by the news.
Considering what I normally wear to bed isn't fit for TV, they should be glad I put on Pajamas
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sbm12
Also no reason to be in PJs should you need to evac the plane during takeoff.

Fully dressed - including shoes on and laces tied - with phone and passport on my person, not in a bag until we're off the ground and headed to the destination.

Me, neither. But only needs to happen once and the "harm" of being well prepared is minimal compared to the value.
hmmmm are you a TV star?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: United - 1K, Southwest - Companion & AList Preferred, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only available on routes where the average RT flight time is greater than 24 hours -- added a list or routes in this thread's wiki
I've gotten them on NRT-DEN which is only 10.5 hours. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.