Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
How do you people who wear the PJs contend with these issues, are they issue with you and do you have other issues and/or solutions?
Under blanket once in seat.

Other wise bring flip flops/shower shoes in lav.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Wear them through customs and change upon arrival / arrivals lounge?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Someone asked about the PJs upthread.

They were soft and comfy. The FA later asked me what I thought about them -- she was worried they would be scratchy. I assured her that they were not.

I was not too hot, but tend to run cold so YMMV.

Later, I wore the pajama top in the hotel exec lounge. It was freezing in there and I was in SE Asia without anything heavy or even long sleeved. The PJ top is just like the photos with the blue piping around the collar and "V" where the buttons are so it looked enough like a shirt that I was OK wearing it out in public.

I had the L/XL and they were nice and loose and comfy.

My standards aren't high (eg. I'm happy to buy clothes at Costco with my cheese) and I have no other J PJs with which to compare UA's PJs, but I was happy with them. They're lying in my laundry pile, I'll report back if they don't hold up well in the wash.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Pajamas are nice.
I ask for them but I do not wear them on the plane. I would like to but I really don't think it is feasible for me. I'm 6'5" and 220 lbs.
The issues I see for me are:

1. Bathroom really doesn't afford much maneuverability.
2. Don't want to walk on a public restroom floor with my bare feet.
3. Crowded bathrooms near landing (can't change before landing).
4. Rough weather near landing (can't change before landing).
5. Cuts into my sleeping time (have to get up early for changing).

How do you people who wear the PJs contend with these issues, are they issue with you and do you have other issues and/or solutions?
W/r/t your particular concerns:

1. When on sCO 777 or 787, I'll try to use the handicap-accessible lav to change, as there is much more room to work. Unfortunately narrowbodies, 747, 767 and sUA 777s don't have any larger lavs so I make do as I can. I use the drop-down changing table as a work surface if I have to.

2. I wear the airline socks (discard after, keeping my own in my bag) and either use the slippers provided or wear my shoes into the lav. I'll stand on the shoes while changing to avoid contact with the inevitable urine-soaked floor.

3. Tough to avoid that one... I will go to change when I feel the top of descent (engines throttle back, slight nose-down sensation), which is usually before a descent announcement is made thus commencing the mad rush. Alternatively, I'll watch our altitude and go to the bathroom right around 12,000ft or so, which is after said mad rush. I'll be in the lav for the double-ding and take my seat just after.

4. Can't do much about that.

5. On <7h flights I'll usually just change my shirt, if at all. On longer hauls I'm not as concerned since I know I won't sleep the entire flight.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's much easier when flying J/F on CX, LH, OZ, etc. - bigger, cleaner lavs.

That said, EWR764 has pretty much nailed how you do this on a UA aircraft. Especially easy on the 787s with the extra large lav.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I do everything EWR764 said (incl. #5). ^
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:19 am

Wear shoes into restroom. Sit on closed toilet seat (after wiping down with paper towel) and pull pants off and pull PJs on (removing feet from shoes one at a time and then replacing after PJ leg pulled up). Easy, no balance issues. Roll up pants, fold shirt, return to seat. Do it in reverse about one hour from scheduled landing on long flights.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
On a side note, has anyone posted pics of the new PJs?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LordHamster
On a side note, has anyone posted pics of the new PJs?
sbm12 posted a picture of himself in them in another thread. I think it's in the Polaris in-flight experience one.

Actually, I think someone else posted a picture of them laid out flat on the floor in the same thread.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Pajamas are nice.
I ask for them but I do not wear them on the plane. I would like to but I really don't think it is feasible for me. I'm 6'5" and 220 lbs.
The issues I see for me are:

1. Bathroom really doesn't afford much maneuverability.
2. Don't want to walk on a public restroom floor with my bare feet.
3. Crowded bathrooms near landing (can't change before landing).
4. Rough weather near landing (can't change before landing).
5. Cuts into my sleeping time (have to get up early for changing).

So I've started bringing my own pajamas for about 2 years now, its so nice putting on fresh clothes before you get off the plane, this is my general routine:

1. This part stinks, i hang my backpack up on the door and squeeze around.
2. Keep socks on/have a designated pair or the socks that were provided in the amenity kit before you get into the bathroom.
3. I usually change back between 45 minutes - 30 minutes before landing, being in coach this usually has me changing just before the mad dash to the bathroom.
4. Last summer LHR-EWR the fasten seat belt sign was on for about 2 hours prior to landing, and people got sick in the bathroom. I was in coach and ended up changing back into regular clothes upon landing at EWR in the business class lav.
5. see 3
MisterTanaka likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
If bringing my own PJ's (from previous flights), I take a chance and change into them as soon as I have put my luggage away (helps that lavs are clean then). CHanging out of them, i typically might just do it at my seat under the blanket (helps that Biz lights) come up later than Eco's lights.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
sbm12 posted a picture of himself in them in another thread. I think it's in the Polaris in-flight experience one.

Actually, I think someone else posted a picture of them laid out flat on the floor in the same thread.

Use the accessible lav when possible. Deal with the fact that you'll bump in to the walls while changing.
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I take a chance and change into them as soon as I have put my luggage away (helps that lavs are clean then).
I would VERY much not want to evac a plane in the PJs. Street clothes and shoes on until we're in the air. :-:
jd2000 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:10 am

A friend of mine and I did MEL-LAX (789) recently with no issues with changing to and from our PJs. We both used the ADA bathroom which was more room than I ever needed.

I just used them while sleeping and changed out of them once I'm done. No real issues for changing in and out of the PJs for both of us (and I saw plenty of people in their PJs).

Keep in mind that they only issued on flights 12h+ so there shouldn't be much of a crowding issue IMO.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Echoing others here it does help if you get the mid-J cabin larger bathroom. Plenty of room in there. Step on tops of shoes etc when changing and what not.

Depending on how quick and deft at the maneuver you are you could also swap out pants under the blanket at the seat. I've done that 2x when one lav wasn't working and it was a mad rush before landing to the others. Of course I'll say that gym class for grades 7-12 at an all boys Catholic school has honed my gym room changing technique.
I would still never change my shirt if it meant being bare chested.

Originally Posted by sbm12

I would VERY much not want to evac a plane in the PJs. Street clothes and shoes on until we're in the air. :-:
NH F they practically drag you to the lav once you are boarded to change.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
On the "barefoot" issue, I would be certain that the germ count in the seat area is likely 10x more than that in the bathroom.

Regardless, does not seem that hard to change while standing on the slippers you will wear at completion.

On landing I always change back well in advance to avoid the morning bathroom crowd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.