Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is not the same UA that we've been bashing around here since 2012.
True... but old posting habits are hard to break!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
I'll ask again: does anyone know if they kept the Polaris Lounge open past its usual 9PM closing on Sunday night when so many flights were delayed for the snow? GRU flight didn't leave till 11:15. I've seen them do this for the UC and GFL.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:41 am

1K responded me to (much quicker than 7-10 days and no follow up on my end! Crazy).

They indicated that access should have been granted and apologized. They have shared feedback regarding the language to "management" and will follow up with training to the club.

For those asking, I did show them my international boarding pass as well that day.

As a gesture, they are authorizing me to receive access to the lounge on an upcoming domestic flight I have along with some minimal miles, which I think is fair to make things right.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by dank0014
As a gesture, they are authorizing me to receive access to the lounge on an upcoming domestic flight I have along with some minimal miles, which I think is fair to make things right.
Not bad! ^
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm on ORD-EWR this morning and I saw a very good high up at UA and they took me into the Polaris lounge. Wow! Good job UA. Very quiet, very classy. I didn't stay long as I was running laye to board but first impressions were very nice.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
1K responded me to (much quicker than 7-10 days and no follow up on my end! Crazy).

They indicated that access should have been granted and apologized. They have shared feedback regarding the language to "management" and will follow up with training to the club.

For those asking, I did show them my international boarding pass as well that day.

That's great! They still need to rework the language...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Then why even bother building out a brand new LAX UC with 20,000 sq ft and an outdoor terrace (at a reported cost of $55M)?

International premium cabin can be profitable, but so are the domestic business travelers on expensive Y fares who are the bread and butter of the domestic UCs. This management is smart enough to realize that. The new UCs are nice. They're stylish, the snacks are edible, and the coffee is decent. This is not the same UA that we've been bashing around here since 2012.
The LAX build out was in the cards for a long time, the result of trying to react to the major issues created by closing the IFL lounge and the PC. I don't know, but I would guess that it was done long before the Polaris lounge decision. Ground breaking on the project was in May 2015, so this had to have been planned in 2014, or 2013, given how long everything takes with LAX. I think the new LAX lounge (opening today) is an old piece of an old puzzle, it is not part of the current Polaris strategy.

Speaking of which, given that only one Polaris lounge is open now, and that lounge access is going to lag behind the soft product roll out even at major hubs (see e.g. SFO) It appears to me that the lounge part of this was a decision made long after the seat part of it. I give current management credit for reacting to the major soft product/lounge issues old management created, but I am realistically looking at how this all plays moving forward.

Given what the staffing/real estate costs, paid lounge access is just not compatible with a high level of soft product unless the company looks at it as part of the service. Delta (and AA) keep up the quality since its part of the experience for high value tickets. Once UA takes those folks away from the United Club, the argument becomes very different from a business perspectives. You don't want to offer a business class experience to "United Club" members, you want to offer a profitable service paid for by entrance fees. I don't see united subsidizing the United clubs for the benefit of "Bread and Butter Y Business travelers."

I think we will see, as the Polaris Lounges open that the quality of the United Clubs drops, it just makes business sense for this to happen. No way I expect the same quality of experience I get from say the Delta Sky Club from a lounge that services no International J Passengers and is there only for *G travelers in Y and paid members.

I may be wrong, but I am not going to stop flying Delta and enjoying the very nice Sky Clubs (using my AMEX PLT), assuming that United would give me a comparable product on domestic flights if I fly them and get a United Club card....

p.s. I agree that the current management is trying very hard on a number of things. At times doing a 180. My efforts so far to give United another chance have not been well rewarded, but so be it. This is, like the IFL was - if kept up - - very nice for those flying paid Polaris. But I do think it will have impacts on those who are *G (flying internationally, not in paid J) and domestic United Club members over time. The "some travelers are more equal than others" aspects of this cause me some concern, particularly as someone who flies 80-90% of my travel in domestic F/Y, but uses lounges.

Last edited by spin88; Dec 6, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
The LAX build out was in the cards for a long time, the result of trying to react to the major issues created by closing the IFL lounge and the PC. I don't know, but I would guess that it was done long before the Polaris lounge decision. Ground breaking on the project was in May 2015, so this had to have been planned in 2014, or 2013, given how long everything takes with LAX. I think the new LAX lounge (opening today) is an old piece of an old puzzle, it is not part of the current Polaris strategy.

Speaking of which, given that only one Polaris lounge is open now, and that lounge access is going to lag behind the soft product roll out even at major hubs (see e.g. SFO) It appears to me that the lounge part of this was a decision made long after the seat part of it. I give current management credit for reacting to the major soft product/lounge issues old management created, but I am realistically looking at how this all plays moving forward.
The Polaris strategy was in work shortly after the merger. I can't speak to all of the soft product, and I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the hard product is almost entirely the responsibility of the prior management team.

I may be wrong, but I am not going to stop flying Delta and enjoying the very nice Sky Clubs (using my AMEX PLT), assuming that United would give me a comparable product on domestic flights if I fly them and get a United Club card....
An interesting standard to establish regarding the consideration of an international J lounge.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
The Polaris strategy was in work shortly after the merger. I can't speak to all of the soft product, and I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the hard product is almost entirely the responsibility of the prior management team
Correct, I was part of a focus group for the Polaris lounge design and onboard products while it was under Jeff. All the products and services were vetted prior to our testing which they told us were in the works for a couple of years.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
I am told that as of yesterday, the full kitchen is now OPEN at Polaris ORD. Where are the reports??
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:21 pm

I sat in a Polaris lounge simulation, and it was a month after Oscar joined. Given they flew in agents from LHR to conduct a run through, and had an outside research firm on hand to conduct it, very clear this was all well underway before the leadership change.

And the United Club soft product enhancements rolled out this year were all contemplated with Polaris rollouts in mind.

AA meanwhile is shifting all international premium customers into the Flagship lounges next year (J customers gain access) in response to United. Admirals Clubs will do just fine without them.

And Delta's int'l J proposition will be much weaker on the ground as a result.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Curious if anyone can confirm what the current comp champagne offerings are in the ORD Polaris lounge. Wondering if they're still serving Veuve Clicquot and Moet Chandon Rose like when it first opened.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by COA777
Curious if anyone can confirm what the current comp champagne offerings are in the ORD Polaris lounge. Wondering if they're still serving Veuve Clicquot and Moet Chandon Rose like when it first opened.
They were a couple of days ago--but I get that's not "current"; after all, they seemed to already be out of some of the whiskys they opened with.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
So to get to C-Concourse UC do you go through the same door we used to?
IS there still a C-Concourse UC?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:17 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
So to get to C-Concourse UC do you go through the same door we used to?
IS there still a C-Concourse UC?
There's not one right now. The new space hasn't opened yet unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.