Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
This is why if you have flexible travel plans you should only book flights with open R! There is no way to know if or when your GPUs will clear... the only thing to do is wait it out.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by foppishbum
Used the GPU's as RPU's for P.S. flights instead in the end.
Count yourself lucky if those cleared.

If I could use my ten RPU, GPU certs over the course of a year, flying enough p.s. service laps to remake 1K, then I'd bother requalifying. It looks like I'll manage 6 or 7 out of 10, and even that feels lucky.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
This is why if you have flexible travel plans you should only book flights with open R! There is no way to know if or when your GPUs will clear... the only thing to do is wait it out.
Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate the responses. Unfortunately, my travel plans were pretty inflexible... also, as I searched around, I couldn't seem to find any flights with R space... it was all wait-listed.

Does anyone know if they open up R space as time goes on (obviously they do on the day of departure, but I'm curious if they open x seats every month or something)?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sfnerd
Does anyone know if they open up R space as time goes on (obviously they do on the day of departure, but I'm curious if they open x seats every month or something)?
Loosely speaking, they will open R if they feel like sales are lagging behind expectations and Revenue Management expects there to be many empty seats at departure otherwise. But the J cabin usually sells most of its seats relatively close-in, so it's not too likely to see releases of R this far out.

Bottom line, though, is that R is very unpredictable. Certainly no schedule like one seat a month.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Out of SFO I've been upgraded with a GPU at the gate numerous times - including "safe" upgrade to ICN. Seatmap showed half full about six weeks before departure, but I know some pax didn't clear and flew in back.

It's a dynamic thing: in last three days I went up and down severat times from #1 to #3 and R showed 0 the whole time, while J also changed from 0 to 2 and finally to 1 day of departure.

And since no one mentioned it so far, seatmaps are no indication of loads.

And part 2, Expert Mode is broken right now (along with other things) on .bomb, so you cannot check for R space anyway
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They may or may not open R in advance. It's just not predictable.

SFO to Europe in September can be a real challenge. Fingers crossed and good luck!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
An update on this: I ended up putting it in because their domestic leg (ORD-PHL) had R availability, and I know I will get that as a freebie for them even if the longer leg doesn't clear. J has filled up a little bit more but still lots of seats available. Fingers crossed!
In-laws cleared PVG-ORD at T-24hrs (they are kettles). Unfortunately all the upper-deck seats with seats together are taken, and they are in the middle of the 4 seats in the 2-4-2 config, but that's still going to be way ahead of sitting in Y- for 13+ hours.

Now, as long as the plane gets there (it is leaving ORD one hour late due to MX...)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: United 1k
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the knowledge!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC SE
Upgrade chances to/from Australia

So, I'm guessing that flights to/from Australia are probably some of the toughest upgrades, but just looking for experiences on the chances of these clearing:
SFO-SYD November 5 (W fare)
SYD-SFO November 13 (W fare)
MEL-LAX January 8 (V fare)

GPU's would be applied now (~6+ months in advance). Cabins are wide open on most flights, given that it's so far out.

Any experience on whether GPU's to Australia have a decent chance of clearing in advance, or just chances in general? Thx.

Last edited by gcashin; Apr 11, 2016 at 8:27 pm Reason: add fare class
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gcashin
So, I'm guessing that flights to/from Australia are probably some of the toughest upgrades, but just looking for experiences on the chances of these clearing:
SFO-SYD November 5
SYD-SFO November 13
MEL-LAX January 8

GPU's would be applied now (~6+ months in advance). Cabins are wide open on most flights, given that it's so far out.

Any experience on whether GPU's to Australia have a decent chance of clearing in advance, or just chances in general? Thx.
I got a Wednesday (first week of January) SYD-LAX cleared one month prior to departure - and I had applied upgrade instrument 8+ months prior to flying. If I had to guess, your SFO-SYD probably has the best shot. I wouldn't even bother with MEL-LAX.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
No R class even if 1 only seat taken on seatmap

Understand that seat map not fully accurate but if only 1 seat taken in J on EWR-BOM with a large cabin, probably still LOT of open seats.
Any rough views on when R class gets released?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
No. No idea.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott,
Question Upgrade chances (LAX-LHR)

Hi everyone. Prior Exec Premier in a different life, then stopped flying, then all of a sudden work is making me fly a lot more and United is a different beast than I was used to. Currently Premier Silver, back up to Gold likely this Fall.

Q: What are the current upgrade waitlist clearance chances for:
LAX - LHR (UA metal)
Currently purchased at L class from long long ago
On wait list using Miles + Cash attempting to get to BusinessFirst.
It is T-17 from date of flight.
and in Expert mode there is R0 and RN0 listed.

It has been a while so I think I have all the predictive info needed; apologies for bad abbreviations. My guess is that it is now close to 0 and should consider just upgrading using $ after T-14. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Safe travels!

-T
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by drtoddchang
Hi everyone. Prior Exec Premier in a different life, then stopped flying, then all of a sudden work is making me fly a lot more and United is a different beast than I was used to. Currently Premier Silver, back up to Gold likely this Fall.

Q: What are the current upgrade waitlist clearance chances for:
LAX - LHR (UA metal)
Currently purchased at L class from long long ago
On wait list using Miles + Cash attempting to get to BusinessFirst.
It is T-17 from date of flight.
and in Expert mode there is R0 and RN0 listed.

It has been a while so I think I have all the predictive info needed; apologies for bad abbreviations. My guess is that it is now close to 0 and should consider just upgrading using $ after T-14. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Safe travels!

-T
Unfortunately, your chance is super slim to none using GPU or miles+copay. Have had several 1K's using either GPUs or miles+copay for upgrades on that route for various dates but were still #8~#15 on the upgrade standby list at gate. I think it's very difficult to secure the upgrade on LAX-LHR using GPU and/or miles+copay. If cash upgrade is available and the price is right, I'd say go for it. Just my two cents...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by foppishbum
Unfortunately, your chance is super slim to none using GPU or miles+copay.
Ya, from what I read West Coast - LHR are some of the hardest u/g to clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.