FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1643264-consolidated-chance-upgrade-clearing-my-flight-archive.html)

Mikity Jan 6, 2015 3:14 am

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

MODERATOR NOTE

This thread is now consolidated for you to post your questions regarding upgrade chances on your flights
previous thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-flights.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
----
Need to fly from Hawaii to FRA at the end of this month. I usually book Economy and then try my luck with mileage/co-pay upgrades. This doesn't always work, of course...
I have a little flexibility in travel dates, and also in routes (HNL-IAH-FRA or HNL-SFO-FRA spring to mind). Question - is there any way I can tell which flights are more likely to have an upgrade request come through? Is the key to seeing how full they (specifically, business class) are? Or do I need to ask a travel agent...?

Thanks in advance for your help, Aloha

fjfv19 Jan 6, 2015 4:17 am

Look for R Space via Expert Mode since you have some flexibility. Absent having R space at booking, it is a total gamble.

EWRtoSFO Jan 6, 2015 6:09 am

EWR - DEN Upgrade Chance ??

I'm on Thursday's EWR to DEN.

we are 48 hours out, and some first class seats remain. Chances of a silver gets an upgrade here? Anyone have any luck? I know hub to hub is tough for silvers.

Bonehead Jan 6, 2015 6:33 am

Hub-hub is tough for 1Ks. I never expect a CPU on that route unless I fly at non-peak times, and even I don't really expect the upgrade.

azzurro Jan 6, 2015 6:41 am

...and UA doesn't always fly equipment with large F cabins on this route which makes it even harder. The lie-flat 752 is nearly impossible so I try to book the sCO753 for the best chance. I am probably <25% on that at non-peak times as a 1K. Your best bet is to look for a TOD buy up if F is important to you.

If you don't see R space and wish to take the W-fare roulette chance of waitlisting - book a larger plane with more J seats like 777 or 747 (avoid 787, 767, 757's). The direct flights from West coast are generally harder to upgrade, but when booking far in advance I have had them clear off the waitlist. Flights from IAD or EWR [I]might[I] have a better chance given their shorter distance but the actual chance will vary by date and route.

Best bet is to find R space available at time of booking. Remember to search segment by segment only, with most desired TATL's first as R space will only show availability for all segements combined for connecting flights (R=0 even if one of the segments has R=1+ if any segment is R=0). Don't expect domestic hub to hub R space to open up at any point prior to the gate at T-1.

EWRtoSFO Jan 6, 2015 6:55 am

buy up for this route is 750. PASS.

A friend of mine, who is Gold, got upgraded on the route. I can see his name. So i'm wondering if this is just a light premier manifest or united is setting me up for some disappointment.

in any event, i'll get the free economy plus, hopefully in the bulkhead or exit row and use some of my drink vouchers. vodka OJ in the plastic cup. personal favorite.

Cargojon Jan 6, 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO (Post 24110820)

A friend of mine, who is Gold, got upgraded on the route. I can see his name. So i'm wondering if this is just a light premier manifest or united is setting me up for some disappointment.

in any event, i'll get the free economy plus, hopefully in the bulkhead or exit row and use some of my drink vouchers. vodka OJ in the plastic cup. personal favorite.

Might get a much lower buy-up offer on day of flight or at check-in. Keep looking.

Bonehead Jan 6, 2015 7:12 am

Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO (Post 24110820)

A friend of mine, who is Gold, got upgraded on the route. I can see his name....

Which flight are we talking about? I'm curious.

EWRtoSFO Jan 6, 2015 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 24110881)
Which flight are we talking about? I'm curious.

EWR - DEN 1449 6:32 AM departure, 1/8

there is also no one on the upgrade standby list.

Bonehead Jan 6, 2015 7:29 am

Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO (Post 24110937)
EWR - DEN 1449 6:32 AM departure, 1/8

there is also no one on the upgrade standby list.

There won't be until folks start checking in.

EWRtoSFO Jan 6, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 24110974)
There won't be until folks start checking in.

ahh so you can get upgraded before you check in. for those who have higher status.

Silver Fox Jan 6, 2015 7:32 am

Interestingly, my Expert mode had switched itself off over the New Year so had to go in to my profile and check it again on flight preferences - strangely, it was already checked, so I saved, then went back to booking flights and "Fare Class" was now clickable with, of course R=0 which is the default for LHR-SFO-LHR I reckon. Good luck with it all, it really is getting frustrating now.

Bonehead Jan 6, 2015 7:32 am

Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO (Post 24110983)
ahh so you can get upgraded before you check in. for those who have higher status.

1Ks at T-96, for example.

EWRtoSFO Jan 6, 2015 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 24110990)

silvers man ! no hope for us.

Bonehead Jan 6, 2015 7:36 am

Hey EWRtoSFO...check your "Private Messages"...