Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by fgirard
So, does anyone have a clue as to why UA is not releasing R inventory?
They seem to be holding the TATL upgrades to the gate a relatively high percentage of the time now.

Different from how the TPACs are handled.

Edited to add: now booked to 25 with a bunch showing cleared . . . I'm guessing you're in 7A?
Yes, but the funny thing was that R never went R>0., and each person was cleared individually. The person that I was traveling with cleared nearly an hour before me, then I cleared, and then someone else off of the list cleared nearly an hour after me. It was a strange occurrence, because I would have thought that they would have cleared upgrades as a batch.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
China to USA GPU Suggestions

Middle of May, midweek, W fares between China (PVG and PEK) are only a little bit higher than the lowest economy fare; seems like a terrific opportunity for using a GPU, if it clears. Never did one of these flights before and all UA flights currently show R=0. Would be happy to fly from either airport to any USA airport, if I can get the GPU to clear. Any suggestions as to which flights/departure-arrival cities/aircraft type have the best likelihood of a GPU clearing? Any suggestions as to when, perhaps closer to flight date, R>0 might be seen on the reservations pages? Thank you.

(My apologies if I’ve violated any FT rules by posting questions in successive posts, just excited about some future travel plans!)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:45 am

On a G fare

PVG-ORD-LGA and I've put in a upgrade request using miles and cash. Business class looks wide open but R=0.

Flight is in 5 weeks and apparently i'm number one on the upgrade list currently. What are my chances it clears?

F2-N2-A2-ON-2O-0J-9J-N9-C9-D9-Z9-ZN9-P9-PN9-R0-RN0-IN0-I0-Y9-YN9-B9-M9-E9-U9-H9-HN9-Q9-V9-W9-S9-T9-L9-K9-G9-N9-XN-9X9
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:07 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
On a G fare

PVG-ORD-LGA and I've put in a upgrade request using miles and cash. Business class looks wide open but R=0.

Flight is in 5 weeks and apparently i'm number one on the upgrade list currently. What are my chances it clears?

F2-N2-A2-ON-2O-0J-9J-N9-C9-D9-Z9-ZN9-P9-PN9-R0-RN0-IN0-I0-Y9-YN9-B9-M9-E9-U9-H9-HN9-Q9-V9-W9-S9-T9-L9-K9-G9-N9-XN-9X9
I think I'd be cautiously optimistic about it.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I think I'd be cautiously optimistic about it.
Thanks. I hope so and I hope it clears while upstairs is open. Sitting upstairs is my motivation for the upgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My wife's parents are flying PVG-ORD on April 10th (Sunday) on a 744. They are kettles, but I think it would be an absolute treat for them if I can swing miles + copay and get them on the upper deck for the long flight across the big pond. I don't want to put in until I see R availability open, but this is how it stands currently:

F9 FN9 A9 ON3 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

Seat map shows only 1 GF seat and 3 BF booked (none on UD). Do folks think there's a good chance R comes open at this rate?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
SFO-BOS 6/29 at 8 am. Bought Husband (who is Gold) a Q fare and waitlisted with my regionals. I bought A fare and am the only seat in first right now. I know it is the holidays but hoping he clears. Currently showing:

F9 A9 JN9 C9 D9 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0

Return on 7/6 at 5:45pm - shows pretty much the same thing as above ,just additional W8.

I am assuming they will hold back inventory till much closer?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Knock on wood - and I don't expect it to last - I have had really good luck clearing upgrades the last 2 weeks (and was on vacation the 4 weeks before that) - even when SDC!

Last week was a partial holiday week and I had pretty high fare classes so I was not that surprised. This week, I was on a T fare and cleared 3 out of 4 - both on SDC. SDC also seemed to have gotten easier with even T class opening up early.

Last year and even early January, it was very hard. Is it just the season? Or, economy is starting to get bad again? Or, they changed something? Or, maybe fewer elites now?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Key points.

I am 1K my wife has no status.
I booked both tickets together thru my united account.
I used my two remaining RPUs to upgrade us to Business First.

Our flight is on a 777-200 from EWR to LAX it leaves at 4pm Wed., Jul. 13, 2016. As of right now we have been confirmed to Business First. Since this is a midweek flight I was wondering how open should the flight be before I can take a chance and refund the RPU and hope for a CPU. For me and my wife? I am worried that it will separate my wife from my booking at T-24 hours before clearing us on a CPU. This will be the first time I have traveled with my wife on united. Recently married.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nimitz
Key points.

I am 1K my wife has no status.
I booked both tickets together thru my united account.
I used my two remaining RPUs to upgrade us to Business First.

Our flight is on a 777-200 from EWR to LAX it leaves at 4pm Wed., Jul. 13, 2016. As of right now we have been confirmed to Business First. Since this is a midweek flight I was wondering how open should the flight be before I can take a chance and refund the RPU and hope for a CPU. For me and my wife? I am worried that it will separate my wife from my booking at T-24 hours before clearing us on a CPU. This will be the first time I have traveled with my wife on united. Recently married.
The non-stops between EWR and LAX are not CPUable anymore. If you want to ride up front, leave the RPUs in place.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
C avail TLV-SFO UA955 3-Apr

Seeing something very odd (as i wait for my GPU to clear or not) on UA955 3-Apr TLV-SFO

Seat map is wide open:Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  42.2 KB

But yet when i asked my travel agent she said that C was full - couldn't even buy a seat

Could this be due to the new flight (only 2nd time it will fly)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There could be lots of bookings without assigned seats (perhaps a group?). I see it as J3, so you should be able to at least find a seat.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There could be lots of bookings without assigned seats (perhaps a group?). I see it as J3, so you should be able to at least find a seat.
Well it's up to the upgrade gods to see if i get a seat or not (using a GPU)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Seat maps are not, and have never been, indicative of actual loads.

C is no longer the top booking class for BF, J is now.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bosbjg
Well it's up to the upgrade gods to see if i get a seat or not (using a GPU)
J3 three weeks is not a good sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.