Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
Sorry about giving no info, its a SFO - EWR flight on PS. Still tons of seats available but i know that doesn't mean upgrade spots. Are PS inherently harder for upgrades using miles/surcharge route? Also do you guys think its worth it?
It is possible but
1) These flights get a lot of last minute business -- not uncommon to see many empty seats a couple weeks out and have them fill up by flight time. Given that UA is release few if any upgrades if UA thinks the flight will sell out.
2) Avoid peak road warrior times or red-eyes. 6AM and middle of the day in the middle of week are your best chances.

There is no CPU so everyone hoping for an upgrade is using certs or miles.
Given the limited availability, low status folks should try to find upgrade space at booking.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:29 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Looking at a SFO-TPE roundtrip before the end of the month, to use some expiring GPUs. W fares are reasonable at $1,117 round-trip and available for most date ranges.

However, R space seems tight on the return. I'm looking to return 26 or 27th or so, and while I swear when I looked yesterday I thought it was R9, today it stands at R0. A 25th return only gives me 4 days in TPE, which is a little tighter than I'd like, and it's showing R2 today. What do y'all thing is the best move here; any chance of the upgrade clearing if I chance it on a 26 or 27 return?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given the limited availability, low status folks should try to find upgrade space at booking.
Or just buy F/A/J/C/D/P/Z tickets straight up.

I am going from Platinum to nothing in 26 days, so that's what I will be doing. UA has competitive premium fares domestically, if you buy in advance, and the 2xPQM promo that UA is running in 2016 only makes the pot sweeter.

I just bought my first A tickets for February. I don't know if this is the behavior UA is trying to entice, but if it is, whatever they are doing is working.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
What do y'all thing is the best move here; any chance of the upgrade clearing if I chance it on a 26 or 27 return?
I would not waitlist either of those. Booked nearly full in BF.

Have you considered an OJ back via NRT, HND, or ICN? R all over the place. Ex-NRT or ICN you can fly the 744.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not waitlist either of those. Booked nearly full in BF.

Have you considered an OJ back via NRT, HND, or ICN? R all over the place. Ex-NRT or ICN you can fly the 744.
Ended up on the 747 upper deck on the return via NRT. Good call! $200 more, but worth it I think.

[What is an "OJ?"]
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
Ended up on the 747 upper deck on the return via NRT. Good call! $200 more, but worth it I think.

[What is an "OJ?"]
Open Jaw.

In your case, fly in to TPE, out of NRT. BA Avios are particularly good for closing the OJ intra-Asia.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:19 am

Does anyone know what kind of success rate there is for upgrades clearing on TLV-EWR? I've heard that it is a hard route to clear. I bought the ticket about a month ago on a W fare and applied a GPU at booking. The flight I'm on specifically is UA85 on 2/1. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by vandrei
Or just buy F/A/J/C/D/P/Z tickets straight up.

I am going from Platinum to nothing in 26 days, so that's what I will be doing. UA has competitive premium fares domestically, if you buy in advance, and the 2xPQM promo that UA is running in 2016 only makes the pot sweeter.

I just bought my first A tickets for February. I don't know if this is the behavior UA is trying to entice, but if it is, whatever they are doing is working.
Yes, little doubt that this is exactly UA's plan: provide multiple incentives for the purchase of premium cabin seats. BTW, interesting to characterize the 2x (and 3x for F fares) premium cabin earning as a promotion. My interpretation is that it is the new regular earning rule, and isn't subject to a planned reversion to the previous lower earning.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by doverflyer
Does anyone know what kind of success rate there is for upgrades clearing on TLV-EWR? I've heard that it is a hard route to clear. I bought the ticket about a month ago on a W fare and applied a GPU at booking. The flight I'm on specifically is UA85 on 2/1. Thanks!
I've never been able to clear that route. I hear it's incredibly tough.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Chance of GPU clearing

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but did a search and couldn't find any other thread or anything for 2016.
Flying ORD-NRT in mid May. What is the chance of 4 GPU's clearing from BF to GF?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Emirates202
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but did a search and couldn't find any other thread or anything for 2016.
Flying ORD-NRT in mid May. What is the chance of 4 GPU's clearing from BF to GF?

Thanks!
Here are some of the factors: UA 744 is 52 J 12 F seats. Few people likely spend miles + copay to upgrade J->F. GPUs don't work for the common P and Z business fares. So competition shouldn't be *too tough*.

I'd guess, clearing one would seem likely. I don't know about 4, though; that's 33% of the entire cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:32 am

I have a flight tomorrow SFO-CDG and I'm going to book into V or W, depending on the price difference, and am a 1K ... there is currently no R availability, but there is J2. Do I have any shot at clearing one GPU for myself?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:20 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have a flight tomorrow SFO-CDG and I'm going to book into V or W, depending on the price difference, and am a 1K ... there is currently no R availability, but there is J2. Do I have any shot at clearing one GPU for myself?
Depends how many are ahead of you in the queue.

Would you consider going via ORD, EWR or IAD? You can confirm an upgrade on the ORD/IAD/EWR to CDG leg now. I get it isn't as ideal as the non-stop, and the domestic leg is likely in Y, but it is better than 11 hours in Y annoyed that your GPU didn't clear. And then tomorrow if you see R has opened up and hasn't been grabbed, you can try to SDC.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by sb3
Depends how many are ahead of you in the queue.

Would you consider going via ORD, EWR or IAD? You can confirm an upgrade on the ORD/IAD/EWR to CDG leg now. I get it isn't as ideal as the non-stop, and the domestic leg is likely in Y, but it is better than 11 hours in Y annoyed that your GPU didn't clear. And then tomorrow if you see R has opened up and hasn't been grabbed, you can try to SDC.
Well now we are about T23 from departure and I'm third on the waitlist w/ only two open seats :/. I'm considering buying up to V, but I'm not sure if that's worth it or if it will bump me up on the waitlist. Will a phone agent be able to tell me if it will bump me up? I'd consider going through EWR, but honestly the direct flight from SFO - CDG is so empty right now in coach that it won't be too terrible at all...
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
upgrade success

I am Platinum, was ticketed 1/28 on a B fare from IAD-PEK.

Phoned in that evening to inquire about a buy-up to Z. Was quoted >$4k. Put in a request to upgrade with miles, R was 0 at the time.

Woke up today, 1/30 and checked my itin, showing the upgrade cleared. No e-mail, nothing. It's 21 days before I fly that this cleared. I love not having to bite my nails over whether I'm going to be in J or stuck in Y!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.