Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by dls25
Unless you are flying at off-peak times, I would not bother. They only flights I see that do not usually have upgrade lists 30-40 deep are the MSP-IAD flights.
Flew DEN-MSP-DEN a couple times this year... paid first on one and the other was a premium economy fare (M) and I was not upgraded either way (Airbus 320).
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:12 pm

1k: Will my LHR-SFO upgrade come through, and when?

I'm Premier 1k (117,566 miles for the year so far). I'm flying LHR-SFO this Sunday on a flight that has 2 seats left in First and 6 in Business. I'm ticketed in Economy Plus (L class), and have requested an upgrade to Business using 20k miles + $550. I called, and it sounds like there are 8 total 1k's on the upgrade list.

Two questions:
  1. What are my chances of the upgrade coming through? That is, what is order within the 1k bucket based on?
  2. If it were to come through, when?
I reread the "Premier Benefits" page, and it says that CPUs can come through for 1k's as early as 96 hours in advance, but doesn't mention non-complimentary ones.

Thanks for any insight! This is especially important, because if my upgrade comes through, I'll turn around and give it straight to my husband, who has a herniated disk and for whom flying in economy in excruciating these days. :/
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
My experience is that Miles+$s upgrades can come through at any time between ticketing and a few hours before boarding. It all depends on when UA decides that your offer of 20k miles plus $550 is more than they are going to get from that seat from someone else.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
Any GS or 1K in a higher fare category will clear before you. And a "L" fare is a rather low economy fare. This is the pecking order for economy:

Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N

I also have found that LHR to the west coast, especially, is a very tough upgrade. I would imagine there are many others likely in high fare classes than you who may get the upgrade.

Also, people could switch flights and take a business class seat, who has paid full fare.

It can clear all the way up until departure.

Good luck
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by n0r1
I'm Premier 1k (117,566 miles for the year so far). I'm flying LHR-SFO this Sunday on a flight that has 2 seats left in First and 6 in Business. I'm ticketed in Economy Plus (L class), and have requested an upgrade to Business using 20k miles + $550. I called, and it sounds like there are 8 total 1k's on the upgrade list.

Two questions:
  1. What are my chances of the upgrade coming through? That is, what is order within the 1k bucket based on?
  2. If it were to come through, when?
I reread the "Premier Benefits" page, and it says that CPUs can come through for 1k's as early as 96 hours in advance, but doesn't mention non-complimentary ones.

Thanks for any insight! This is especially important, because if my upgrade comes through, I'll turn around and give it straight to my husband, who has a herniated disk and for whom flying in economy in excruciating these days. :/
Answer to Q1 - The number will depend on how many GS and 1Ks have higher fare classes above you. With L, you are really low on the totem pole. Many GS's or business travelers could buy a last minute fare, thereby reducing the number of upgrade seats available. So every 1K who has a fare-class higher than L will be above you in the list. You might actually get an offer to upgrade for cash during your 24-hour check in period or mobile app or kiosk. These offers will range anywhere between $550 and whatever floats UA's boat! Also remember, LHR and SFO are big business traveler hubs and reaching California on Sunday makes it an appealing route especially for those trying to begin work on Monday
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The other aspect at the moment is the LH strikes. These flights at the moment are generally not full but on LH strike days they are rammed. There's no sense in UA tieing up a C seat in advance if they might need it.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
That has nothing to do with when you'll get an upgrade. Those upgrade windows only apply to CPUs.

You are behind all GSs. You're also behind any 1Ks on higher fares. The fare sequence is Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N. L is below the minimum fare to waitlist with GPUs, so there are probably a few of those ahead of you. I'd say your chances are less than 1 in 3.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
My experience is that Miles+$s upgrades can come through at any time between ticketing and a few hours before boarding.
It can also happen at the gate, and even inside the plane after boarding.

That did not happen to me, and only saw it once (maybe twice, or maybe I dreamt it), but a pax came from back to Biz after everyone boarded. Misconnects and no shows happen ... had it happen on a domestic flight Saturday. I was settled in to my seat signing Hemispheres mag, #3 on u/g list, when an agent said my name

That would be #3 at the gate with ALL FC pax checked in ... no biggie, short DFW-IAH hop in the morning .... this was A320, the week before there were THREE empty seats in FC on B738 .....
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:10 am

Thanks, all! Really helpful. I've gone ahead and purchased the upgrade outright.

One more question: It sounds like fare class is definitely a factor in where you land on the upgrade status list. Correct?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks, all! Really helpful. I've gone ahead and purchased the upgrade outright.

One more question: It sounds like fare class is definitely a factor in where you land on the upgrade status list. Correct?
Yes, it's a pretty big factor. You can read the wiki here for info, or to save you a click, the upgrade list is, briefly:

- All GS by any method
- Premier "Instant Upgrades" (Y/B/M ups), by fare class first and then by status (only CPU eligible routes)
- Instrument supported upgrades, by status first and then fare class
- CPUs, by status first and then fare class (if applicable)

So fare class is the second most important factor in most cases after your status.

Last edited by findark; Nov 19, 2015 at 1:46 pm Reason: clarify for int'l flights
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I ticketed 3 PAX including myself. 2 are non-premier members.

I requested I class since only XN was avail on the short haul trip (UA Metal IAH-LAX) . Trip was booked as longhaul F for 3.

Are they going to be applied to the upgrade list the day on departure or will I need to request the gate agent to do that?

Thanks in advanced.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I ticketed 3 PAX including myself. 2 are non-premier members.

I requested I class since only XN was avail on the short haul trip (UA Metal IAH-LAX) . Trip was booked as longhaul F for 3.

Are they going to be applied to the upgrade list the day on departure or will I need to request the gate agent to do that?

Thanks in advanced.
Waitlisting for I/IN at the gate is iffy == most agents are unaware of the option / process. I'm 0 for 2 even getting on the gate list.

A separate thread exists for this topic, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Thoughts on chances for this clearing:
- RPU for 2 pax on LIH-LAX for Sunday, January 31 currently waitlisted
- One pax is UA 1K; other is RPU nominee (no UA status; *G on OAL)
- Currently showing F6; E+ is fairly empty, so at least it doesn't look like there are a ton of high status pax booked now. That being said, I'm guessing there will be a ton of RPU's on the list for Jan 31

Any thoughts on odds at this point? I'm guessing fairly low, but wondering if others have experience on this route or similar flights.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gcashin
Thoughts on chances for this clearing:
- RPU for 2 pax on LIH-LAX for Sunday, January 31 currently waitlisted
- One pax is UA 1K; other is RPU nominee (no UA status; *G on OAL)
- Currently showing F6; E+ is fairly empty, so at least it doesn't look like there are a ton of high status pax booked now. That being said, I'm guessing there will be a ton of RPU's on the list for Jan 31

Any thoughts on odds at this point? I'm guessing fairly low, but wondering if others have experience on this route or similar flights.
I've done it on the 757, but only by splitting the PNRs in advance of travel. That produced one RPU clearing at T-24 and one at the gate. If you're on the same PNR and thus require R=2, you'll get skipped over by others for sure.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gcashin
LIH-LAX for Sunday, January 31 currently waitlisted
738 red-eye? I'd connect via HNL on the 772.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.