Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:07 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Mel Grant
I am really happy our upgrades came through. EWR-SYD rt Dec 10 to Jan 5. Didn't think they would because we are close to the holidays but now I am one happy camper ( though my partner did not want to give up the co-pay $$$ lol)
Congrats -- that's a great upgrade to clear! One of the few cases where is say the co-pay is worth it.

I've done USA-SYD between November and January for three years in a row now, and I'm shocked to be 6/6 on clearing GPUs. Admittedly, I structure my whole trip around R availability and upgradability (Tuesday, not Saturday!), but still. SYD is doable, even around the holidays.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
A month ago, I put in for a mileage upgrade on UA 644 IAD-SFO for this Sunday--and I worried that I was wasting miles when this was an internationally-configured 777 and I'd booked a Q fare. Well, whoops: Flight status shows only four seats left open in C, all middle. Too many people connecting off GPU-upgraded TATL flights?

(Edit: Weirdly enough, the site shows J5. How can that be possible?)

Last edited by DCA writer; Oct 16, 2015 at 7:52 am
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by DCA writer
A month ago, I put in for a mileage upgrade on UA 644 IAD-SFO for this Sunday--and I worried that I was wasting miles when this was an internationally-configured 777 and I'd booked a Q fare. Well, whoops: Flight status shows only four seats left open in C, all middle. Too many people connecting off GPU-upgraded TATL flights?

(Edit: Weirdly enough, the site shows J5. How can that be possible?)
a seat may be blocked but not actually occupied. they show up the same way on the seat map.

i'd pull that mileage upgrade back if it were me. E+ isn't that much worse than the middle coffin seats in J.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by QBK
Congrats -- that's a great upgrade to clear! One of the few cases where is say the co-pay is worth it.

I've done USA-SYD between November and January for three years in a row now, and I'm shocked to be 6/6 on clearing GPUs. Admittedly, I structure my whole trip around R availability and upgradability (Tuesday, not Saturday!), but still. SYD is doable, even around the holidays.
I was really surprised the 5th cleared!! Happy and surprised!!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
a seat may be blocked but not actually occupied. they show up the same way on the seat map.

i'd pull that mileage upgrade back if it were me. E+ isn't that much worse than the middle coffin seats in J.
Update from seat 23K: no need to have worried about that! I'm now seven down on the upgrade list. On the upside, the passenger in the middle seat that was empty only eight hours ago can't be older than 16, so I still have a little more personal space than average.

So, seriously, what crushed my upgrade chances this time? I can't imagine there were that many Plats who bought a more expensive fare (fortunately, somebody else is paying for it) and upgraded on an instrument. Is UA 644 the flight of choice for 1Ks connecting from the EU to SFO via IAD?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DCA writer
So, seriously, what crushed my upgrade chances this time? I can't imagine there were that many Plats who bought a more expensive fare (fortunately, somebody else is paying for it) and upgraded on an instrument. Is UA 644 the flight of choice for 1Ks connecting from the EU to SFO via IAD?
The explanation out of IAD is usually government YCA fares. Those come ahead of instruments. (And which cost $222 OW IAD-SFO.)

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 18, 2015 at 7:07 pm Reason: added fare cost
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Upgrade waitlist question LHR-SFO

Hi-

I hope this is the right forum thread for this. We just booked Cash + Miles upgrade on the non-stop leaving on 01-10-16, but we are waitlisted for the actual upgrade. We both have Silver Status and I've bought the E+ seats we can live with if we don't get the upgrade to J. How long before the list starts to clear is it 48 or 72 or even 24 hours? We Will be on the Queen Mary II until the morning of departure from LHR.

Do all CPU's clear first before $ & Miles upgrades? And what about those day of cash offers everyone complains about.

Current 33 seats in J and 6 in GF any advice on the waiting game would be helpful.

Thanks,
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Paul510
... . We just booked Cash + Miles upgrade on the non-stop leaving on 01-10-16, but we are waitlisted for the actual upgrade. We both have Silver Status and I've bought the E+ seats we can live with if we don't get the upgrade to J. How long before the list starts to clear is it 48 or 72 or even 24 hours? We Will be on the Queen Mary II until the morning of departure from LHR.

Do all CPU's clear first before $ & Miles upgrades? And what about those day of cash offers everyone complains about.

Current 33 seats in J and 6 in GF any advice on the waiting game would be helpful. ...
There is no CPU on TATL flights.

Sunday (10 Jan 2016) is going to be a difficult date for a Silver, Sunday is a peak elite travel day. Clearing, if it occurs, will be weeks out or day of travel or never --- there is no 24,48, 72, ... hours windows for non-CPU flights.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by QBK

There was R space available for next February, too. I booked it.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
1k on S fare ORD-SAN. #9 on the upgrade list the other day...
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by davidviolin
EWR-DEN a few months back on a B fare... ended up being #7 on that list at the gate. Upgrades are a thing of the past.

I am only clearing on non-elite heavy routes... my stats have improved dramatically since I have been flying the B739 DEN-GRR / GRR-DEN on a weekly basis.

I would think ORD-SAN / SAN-ORD is a pretty elite heavy route, especially for int'l connections.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
No upgrade

I just now flew a Skywest from TUS to LAX. There was one empty seat in the first cabin but nobody came and got me.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by iquitos
I just now flew a Skywest from TUS to LAX. There was one empty seat in the first cabin but nobody came and got me.
Sounds like you need to write into CC. Lazy GA?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
EWR-DEN a few months back on a B fare... ended up being #7 on that list at the gate. Upgrades are a thing of the past.
Even non elite routes

IAH-SJO, used to clear with regularity as Silver on CO.

Just got back, and only cleared to SJO due to FOUR misconnects.

On the way back, u/g list didn't budge, and UAL.com showed only TWO u/g

I find it VERY hard to believe they sold 14 FC seats on that flight

This was Monday p.m. flight, a.m. flights to EWR and IAH were BOTH sold out in FC long time ago.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Nothing new here, SAN is a destination and folks spend money to get there in style. Going to SAN and maybe SEA have to be some of the hardest CPU's for a non hub based on my experience. Thursdays from any hub, good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.