Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Looking at some flights for November LAS-LAX-SFO-HKG-MNL booking in K showing R0 on all legs except HKG-MNL which is on CX, showing R7. I would figure that the UA flights would be the easiest to get upgraded on as Silver, not even sure if I could get upgraded on CX as they are in a different alliance, yet being sold on 016 stock. Looking at all available seats each flight has ample 1st and Business available, is it too early for R space to be made available? Or is my shot of getting upgraded impossible? Mostly concerned about SFO-HKG leg.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shocker077
Looking at some flights for November LAS-LAX-SFO-HKG-MNL booking in K showing R0 on all legs except HKG-MNL which is on CX, showing R7. I would figure that the UA flights would be the easiest to get upgraded on as Silver, not even sure if I could get upgraded on CX as they are in a different alliance, yet being sold on 016 stock. Looking at all available seats each flight has ample 1st and Business available, is it too early for R space to be made available? Or is my shot of getting upgraded impossible? Mostly concerned about SFO-HKG leg.
K fares are not eligible for GPU on international itineraries. You could use miles plus copay in the UA metal segments if R space opens. Forget about upgrading on CX.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at some flights for November LAS-LAX-SFO-HKG-MNL booking in K showing R0 on all legs except HKG-MNL which is on CX, showing R7.
Surprised the routing on CX via HKG to MNL is back. Have not been able to avoid xxx-NRT-MNL on NH, ever since the NH JV started.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
K fares are not eligible for GPU on international itineraries. You could use miles plus copay in the UA metal segments if R space opens. Forget about upgrading on CX.
Great information. What is the minimum fare I would have to purchase as a Premier Silver to have a "shot" at upgrading on an international itinerary? I'm willing to spend more as I have a eCert I need to burn as well as the fact that with the new qualifications spending a little more will only help me maintain status for next year.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Great information. What is the minimum fare I would have to purchase as a Premier Silver to have a "shot" at upgrading on an international itinerary? I'm willing to spend more as I have a eCert I need to burn as well as the fact that with the new qualifications spending a little more will only help me maintain status for next year.
On a Trans-Pacific or Trans-Atlantic flight, there are no complimentary upgrades, no matter what fare you buy. There is a minuscule chance of an operational upgrade, but those are very rare and most Silvers won't see one ever.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Any published fare class can be upgraded (on a space available basis) for miles and cash. See the chart here: Interactive Award Chart.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Debating whether I should try to upfare or not...flying EWR-STL in 2 weeks on a Friday afternoon flight (5:30 PM departure). E170 shows 6/6 in F so far, most of E- is purchased, but there's still a decent amount of E+ available (which suggests there aren't many elites flying this). However, they are offering W fares (as the lowest available fare bucket) just $19 below the cheapest F fare, which makes me wonder if any late bookers will just snag the F seat instead and fill it up.

Thoughts on potential CPU on this? I'm on an L fare, so upfaring would cost ~$70 (from when I called in). That said, although this is probably eligible for a meal in F, I'm less vested in that because I will probably eat dinner with family when I arrive.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Debating whether I should try to upfare or not...flying EWR-STL in 2 weeks on a Friday afternoon flight (5:30 PM departure). E170 shows 6/6 in F so far, most of E- is purchased, but there's still a decent amount of E+ available (which suggests there aren't many elites flying this). However, they are offering W fares (as the lowest available fare bucket) just $19 below the cheapest F fare, which makes me wonder if any late bookers will just snag the F seat instead and fill it up.

Thoughts on potential CPU on this? I'm on an L fare, so upfaring would cost ~$70 (from when I called in). That said, although this is probably eligible for a meal in F, I'm less vested in that because I will probably eat dinner with family when I arrive.
Have you checked the price of a buy-up to F on your reservation? Sometimes, it is equal to the fare bucket differences, which sound like $89 in your case. I'd be all over an $89 upgrade, rather than the $70 upfare, which still might get you bupkes.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Have you checked the price of a buy-up to F on your reservation? Sometimes, it is equal to the fare bucket differences, which sound like $89 in your case. I'd be all over an $89 upgrade, rather than the $70 upfare, which still might get you bupkes.
.bomb saying 'Online upgrade not available'

To be clear, it was $70 to upgrade from L to P (I assume that was the fare class). When I called in last time, I was told I'd have to pay $200 change fee, so I just hung up.

While I'm sure it's nicer, I don't really have a need to fly F - as a person of average/short height (5'6"), E+ has enough legroom for me to be comfortable the whole way. That's why part of me would rather roll the dice on getting the CPU instead of locking it in for sure (although sitting in 1A or 2A sure does seem enticing)...
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I didn't decide I couldn't stand the thought of my recently operated on knee in E+ on an international flight until kind of recently so I'm sure I didn't set this up for the best chances... there's two of us on this:

LAS-EWR-MXP on 9/9
Fare classes are L and T
Requested with miles + copay on 8/10
R space is 0 but everything else is 9
I'm Silver, he's nothing

Even E+ is pretty full so I'm guessing the chances are not great. My only hope is that if we don't clear it, at least that means some decent E+ seats will open up at check in?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond
ORD-PEK release of upgrades

I booked a flight for Oct 10 to PEK on December 10, 2014 with a GU in W. As of this date UA has not released any upgrades to my knowledge. When should I start to get worried. I am a 1K and not a frequent poster but definitely a frequent reader. I have learned much form all of you. Thank you
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
OP, Oct 10 is Saturday, typically a busy day for business travelers to Asia (but not as busy as Friday), but just coming out of Golden Week, the loads look pretty light. IMO the flight looks good for upgrades right now, but the reality is that anything can happen between now and then. From my experiences, my requests usually clear 3 to 2 weeks in advance. Good luck!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 5, 2015 at 6:57 pm Reason: cleanup after move, deleted quoted removed
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kwsunset
I booked a flight for Oct 10 to PEK on December 10, 2014 with a GU in W. As of this date UA has not released any upgrades to my knowledge. When should I start to get worried.
If you're booked on UA851 departing Oct. 10, I think you have a good chance of clearing. It's only booked 7/40 right now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 5, 2015 at 6:59 pm Reason: cleanup after move, deleted quoted removed
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kwsunset
I booked a flight for Oct 10 to PEK on December 10, 2014 with a GU in W. As of this date UA has not released any upgrades to my knowledge. When should I start to get worried. I am a 1K and not a frequent poster but definitely a frequent reader. I have learned much form all of you. Thank you
Have you been checking for upgrade space regularly? UA's waitlist-clearing "technology" isn't know for working very well.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're booked on UA851 departing Oct. 10, I think you have a good chance of clearing. It's only booked 7/40 right now.
Agreed.

Also the return looks good too as Dec. 10 isn't Fri-Sat-Sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.