Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean May 9 departure?
Yep, May 9
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eflyte
Yep, May 9
You can clear EWR-AMS right now.

I would actually consider waitlisting SFO-FRA (903 not 926), it's only booked 21/52 in J two weeks out. Especially if you can buy a V (or higher) over a W.

Your other option is just keep checking religiously for open R on the likely routings. Make sure you're searching segment by segment in order to see true R inventory.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 25, 2015 at 10:19 am Reason: 903 vs 926
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 pm

I'm flying SFO -> LHR this Saturday on an M ticket (alone) and I'm premier silver. Is it worth paying 20k miles + $300 to upgrade now or should I risk waiting until arriving at the airport? There seem to be 7-8 business seats available and a bunch of economy plus seats. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by ajiva
I'm flying SFO -> LHR this Saturday on an M ticket (alone) and I'm premier silver. Is it worth paying 20k miles + $300 to upgrade now or should I risk waiting until arriving at the airport? There seem to be 7-8 business seats available and a bunch of economy plus seats. Thanks.
This flight is difficult to clear as a 1K, good luck
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jasonp622
Sounds like a good idea to pay.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ajiva
You can't upgrade now, there is no upgrade space available on either UA901 or UA930. You can waitlist and cross your fingers. Perhaps sacrifice a small animal or two.

Originally Posted by jasonp622
+1
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on CPU chances for my upcoming itinerary, based on experience or perhaps just common knowledge of the routes.

I am a 1K travelling with a companion.

Departing on Friday:

YYZ>IAH (E175) @ 7:45AM (W Fare)

IAH>CUN (B739) @ 3:52PM (W Fare)

Returning on Monday:

CUN>IAH (B739) @ 12:15pm (Q Fare)

IAH>YYZ (E175) @ 7:04PM (Q Fare)

All cabins look to be at least 80% free as per seat maps (which I know aren't an indicator) and most are showing full P9 and R9. Travel is in two weeks.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by hagan73
I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on CPU chances for my upcoming itinerary, based on experience or perhaps just common knowledge of the routes.

I am a 1K travelling with a companion.

Departing on Friday:

YYZ>IAH (E175) @ 7:45AM (W Fare)

IAH>CUN (B739) @ 3:52PM (W Fare)

Returning on Monday:

CUN>IAH (B739) @ 12:15pm (Q Fare)

IAH>YYZ (E175) @ 7:04PM (Q Fare)

All cabins look to be at least 80% free as per seat maps (which I know aren't an indicator) and most are showing full P9 and R9. Travel is in two weeks.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Slam dunk IMO. Although IAH-YYZ and v.v. are somewhat heavy business flights, the huge J cabin should help. IAH-CUN, being a leisure flight, should be no problem.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Slam dunk IMO.
There are no slam dunk CPUs anymore. UA might sell all the F seats to GMs for $59.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I normally wouldn't worry about an upgrade clearing when it's a widebody on a domestic repositioning flight and I'm on a Q fare. But the 787-8 going from SFO to IAH on May 30 (UA 1589) is starting to look tight up front, even tighter than the 738 I'm taking from IAH to DCA (UA 1433) after that flight.

I would throw miles at the problem, the 15,000-mile cost being offset by the 4,000 I just got as compensation for a ticketing hiccup, but it's waitlist-only on the 787. When I'd looked earlier, I think it was waitlist only on both flights; should I hold off on doing anything for now?
Old May 8, 2015, 7:14 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I normally wouldn't worry about an upgrade clearing when it's a widebody on a domestic repositioning flight and I'm on a Q fare. But the 787-8 going from SFO to IAH on May 30 (UA 1589) is starting to look tight up front, even tighter than the 738 I'm taking from IAH to DCA (UA 1433) after that flight.?
In late March I was on that flight as a 1K on a U or V fare, with a GPU applied. I cleared IAH-South America at time of purchase, but sat in the back SFO-IAH. It was on a Thursday. YMMV.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I would throw miles at the problem, the 15,000-mile cost being offset by the 4,000 I just got as compensation for a ticketing hiccup, but it's waitlist-only on the 787. When I'd looked earlier, I think it was waitlist only on both flights; should I hold off on doing anything for now?
That one's going to be tough for a Plat on a CPU or an instrument (miles). Lots of paid front cabin connecting traffic between IAH and SFO and lots of GS/1K. I'd be surprised if they open R except possibly somewhere within T-24, which means there's a decent chance you spend 15,000 miles to upgrade IAH-DCA only. With a Q fare, your best option is probably an upfare to P.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Thoughts on EWR-HKG GPU chance?

I'm trying to decide if I should outright purchase BF or buy economy (B fare) and apply GPU.

Looking to fly EWR-HKG on 5/22 and return on 5/28. Current inventory shows J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, R0, RN0 on both outbound and inbound. For what it's worth, seat map shows about 16 seats open on both (I know, not an indicator).

As mentioned, I would be buying a B fare in economy. Anyone familiar with this route? Does it typically sell BF at the last minute? Seems like a fair amount of seats left with 8 days left. Maybe R would open on both legs?

My preference is to buy economy and use GPU (I get a company kickback for buying economy) but the fare difference is small enough ($3500) that I'd consider buying BF outright.

Just looking for some thoughts.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
on a B fare you can apply miles without a copay IIRC.

i would probably buy the coach fare and roll the dice, but if the outcome of failure is not acceptable to you, then you have to buy the J fare to mitigate against all risk.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
on a B fare you can apply miles without a copay IIRC.
Correct. But I have the GPUs so might as well use them. Unless I am mistaken, there is no priority between miles or RPU/GPU. They're all instrument upgrades... I think. Assuming B or Y fares, I usually use miles for upgrade on TATL which are only 20k each way. I use GPUs on longer routes that have higher mileage requirements to upgrade.

I'm also thinking of rolling the dice at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.