Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
you are correct as best we know there are no distinctions made in priority between GPU or miles. many here if forced to buy a B fare would use miles and save the GPU for use on lower fare buckets that would require a copay. if you dont expect to use your GPUs on lower fare buckets in the future then i agree there is no reason to make a distinction between miles and GPU.

what fare class is UA.com selling for business? you could look up the advance purchase on that fare, buy the B now, see if you clear the upgrade in a few days and if you don't, go back and upfare to the business fare if it's still available. generally speaking UA doesn't charge a change fee for upfaring to business class.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Looks like they are selling Z right now on ua.com. Not a bad idea.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by qwicker
I'm trying to decide if I should outright purchase BF or buy economy (B fare) and apply GPU.

Looking to fly EWR-HKG on 5/22 and return on 5/28. Current inventory shows J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, R0, RN0 on both outbound and inbound. For what it's worth, seat map shows about 16 seats open on both (I know, not an indicator).

As mentioned, I would be buying a B fare in economy. Anyone familiar with this route? Does it typically sell BF at the last minute? Seems like a fair amount of seats left with 8 days left. Maybe R would open on both legs?

My preference is to buy economy and use GPU (I get a company kickback for buying economy) but the fare difference is small enough ($3500) that I'd consider buying BF outright.

Just looking for some thoughts.

I think this route does have the possibility to sell out close in, but in your shoes I would buy the B fare and then just watch inventory. It's not really high season for Hong Kong and I think some R space will open up but more like 3-4 days out. Also 2 days before your flight you can look at the actual load on the "flight status" tab which appears, and that will show you how many are booked in BF. If inventory is filling up 2 days out then you may want to upfare. Hope it works out for you!
Old May 14, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by qwicker
Looks like they are selling Z right now on ua.com. Not a bad idea.
check the advance purchase restrictions though. it might have a 7 or 5 day AP requirement, after which time you might be bumped up to a higher fare bucket despite oodles of unsold inventory.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
check the advance purchase restrictions though. it might have a 7 or 5 day AP requirement, after which time you might be bumped up to a higher fare bucket despite oodles of unsold inventory.
That's true the nonstop flight tomorrow EWR-HKG has 1 seat available just shy of $8k r/t. Depending on your threshold for pain or desire to be a slave to Global Services, that good be a good thing or a bad thing
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
recent upgrades success FRA/LHR/CDG -SFO

1K using a GPU can depart back home mid week on any of the routes. Loads seem similar...which is a better bet to clear if there is one?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
1K using a GPU can depart back home mid week on any of the routes. Loads seem similar...which is a better bet to clear if there is one?
Generally speaking, the LHR<->SFO routes are fairly easy to upgrade for mid-week flights. For a little extra help in the queue, purchase a higher fare (at least Q). No guarantees, but I've had good success in the recent past (when I flew United on this route!). I think SFO<->CDG is the hardest, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by StingWest; Jun 10, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is no meaningful answer to this question. It depends on loads on the particular day of travel.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: Paid F
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are no slam dunk CPUs anymore. UA might sell all the F seats to GMs for $59.
I have not gotten a CPU on UA in over 2 years. I just pay for first class on the cheapest/best airline with no loyalty to UA anymore.

On my last flight I was seated next to a GS SFO-MSP and they came and asked for his dinner order before me -- and I am a paying First class customer! I think I will stick to Delta from now on for that route.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JW76
I have not gotten a CPU on UA in over 2 years. I just pay for first class on the cheapest/best airline with no loyalty to UA anymore.

On my last flight I was seated next to a GS SFO-MSP and they came and asked for his dinner order before me -- and I am a paying First class customer! I think I will stick to Delta from now on for that route.
I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be if you look at the wiki thread on that - I am quite sure the GS folks here would be griping a lot more if it happened the other way around!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
IAH-LHR Best flight for waitlisting GPU

We are looking at heading across the pond in October t0 London. It looks like for the dates (early Oct) there are 3 flights a day 1 a 767-300 and 2 are 787-8 running at 15:30, 18:30 and 21:00 arriving at 6:55, 10:00 and 12ish.

Still searching for flights with R availability, but in case I can't find one, what is the consensus on the best flight for a waitlisted upgrade? The 767 has the advantage that is 2x3x2 in coach which means the Wife and I would sit together. If we have to go 787, it will be 2 aisle seats. Downside to 767 is the 6:55 arrival and 30 vs 36 BF Seats.

TIA
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'd do the 788, due to the better potential of upgrades, and an ability to sleep on said upgrade. Between the two, I'd pick the one with the least number of BF seats already booked and the least number of E+ already chosen.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'd do the 788, due to the better potential of upgrades, and an ability to sleep on said upgrade. Between the two, I'd pick the one with the least number of BF seats already booked and the least number of E+ already chosen.
Worth noting as well, the past few weeks they seem to have been subbing a 787-9 on this route (UA4 last night and tonight, for example), which adds 12 BF seats. Not sure if that's a long-term plan or just one they're using while getting the -9s into service.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would take the 21:00. It permits a full day at the office and offers better chance for sleep. Later arrival for sure but the following day is a write off anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I usually take the 21:00, i'm 2 for 2 with GPU's this year on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.