Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

Best upgrade chance from SFO- VIE in May

Will be traveling May 24 (Sunday) SFO-VIE, then return VCE (Venice)-SFO

What are the best routing for upgrade using GWU for 1K?
I know SFO is tough

Options are SFO-ORD; ORD-VIE

SFO-FRankfurt-VIE

SFO-LHR-VIE

So far, the SFO-ORD has confirmable R seats, but the ORD-VIE is LH, I am not sure how that will work. Will be bookign via United site.

Help needed please. Thank you!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I think ORD-VIE is on OS not LH (unless you're doing SFO-ORD-FRA-VIE)

And IIRC the GPUs only apply to LH metal specifically, not to LX or OS even though they're fully integrated into the UA-LH JV
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Best thing to do is go to UAL.com and start looking.

I just punched in SFO-LHR (an arbitrary connecting point). IAD-LHR has space at 5:55. Getting to IAD will be waitlisted for the upgrade.

I then looked at some others...

SFO-ORD-FRA has confirmable.

EWR-MUC has confirmable....

You just have to hunt and peck.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Best thing to do is go to UAL.com and start looking.

I just punched in SFO-LHR (an arbitrary connecting point). IAD-LHR has space at 5:55. Getting to IAD will be waitlisted for the upgrade.

My final destination is VIE, so I guess, i can't type in SFO-VIE for my first leg? I have to do multiple destination?

I then looked at some others...

SFO-ORD-FRA has confirmable.

EWR-MUC has confirmable....

You just have to hunt and peck.

Thanks! I'm doing the same but I'm not sure if I'm dumb, all i see are R0s.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by fayewolf
Thanks! I'm doing the same but I'm not sure if I'm dumb, all i see are R0s.
Make sure you check from the point of transatlantic departure rather than from SFO. That's the best way you can ensure you are seeking correct inventory. Once you spot where the availability is, go back and book your full trip using those connection points.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Make sure you check from the point of transatlantic departure rather than from SFO. That's the best way you can ensure you are seeking correct inventory. Once you spot where the availability is, go back and book your full trip using those connection points.

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
check individual segments for available R space. Because of married segments, you will see R=0 if one of the segments in a connecting itinerary has no confirmable space.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
ORD-VIE is OS, not LH, and you cannot use a GPU on it. @:-)

you can use GPU on LH if saver J space is available on the same flight, it will clear. so you could, for instance, also look at all of the LH options to FRA (eg, DEN, LAX, IAH, YVR, etc.).

best bet is to go via MUC as it's the easiest connection, as much as is made about FRA being terrible, i don't think it is bad either but MUC is easiest.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
ORD-VIE is OS, not LH, and you cannot use a GPU on it. @:-)

you can use GPU on LH if saver J space is available on the same flight, it will clear. so you could, for instance, also look at all of the LH options to FRA (eg, DEN, LAX, IAH, YVR, etc.).

best bet is to go via MUC as it's the easiest connection, as much as is made about FRA being terrible, i don't think it is bad either but MUC is easiest.
Do you mean SFO- ORD or IAD to MUC? I don't see a direct flight to MUC. Thank you for the additional info.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do you mean SFO- ORD or IAD to MUC? I don't see a direct flight to MUC. Thank you for the additional info.
LH flies SFO-MUC. You can apply a GPU on LH if you book Q fare or higher. It will clear if there is award (I) inventory.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:56 pm

I'm flying out SUnday, maybe they don't have that route sunday? I can't seem to find a direct from SFO to MUC on the UA website.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm flying out SUnday, maybe they don't have that route sunday? I can't seem to find a direct from SFO to MUC on the UA website.
LH 459 operates on May 24. It's also being sold as UA8882 on that date.

I'm not necessarily recommending that flight, just responding to the questions upthread.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
waitlisted for IN on HKG-EWR on 10-12(monday). Im UA Platinum. Im assuming my chances are slim right?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
as Kacee mentions, LH does fly SFO-MUC, but IIRC it's on the old slanty-flat J seat A340. if you can get LAX-FRA, that's the way to go...with SEA-FRA being a very reasonable alternative.

MUC is "easier" to transit, but if you can get an upgrade on LH from LAX-FRA on your desired date of travel, i'd definitely take it versus going SFO-ORD-MUC. the MUC *G lounge is also very nice IMHO.

much is made on FT about how bad it is to transit FRA. i've never had any huge issues there (including navigating separate tickets from LH to DL on a 3 hour "connection"), though the UA boarding process there is even more of an enormous charlie foxtrot than anywhere else, IMO. the FRA airport app for iPhone is abundantly useful.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
as Kacee mentions, LH does fly SFO-MUC, but IIRC it's on the old slanty-flat J seat A340.
It's the 346. All 346s in and out of MUC are new business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.