Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2023, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Umpquaank
...are my upgrade chances pretty good?...
Your chances are looking good.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Trying to find way home from Europe in 2 weeks, and has accidently stumbled upon UA883 (LHR-EWR) with PZ7 on Oct 15. Can't use it myself because I don't already have a ticket on that flight, and current prices are pricey...probably going award flight route. Hope someone can benefit from the positive PZ space.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by kb1992
My 1K cousin booked G fare for the 9pm SFO-EWR flight 12 days from today.

Waitlisted using PP. J is booked 15/50 and he is No. 9.

I do think that he will eventually clear. But I am curious if UA will ever clear him in advance.....
It’s not likely that he’ll clear in advance. There’s really no upside for United to release inventory early. As an example, if they have an issue on an earlier flight, it’s good to have lots of premium seats available later in the day.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Sep 30, 2023 at 8:17 am
Old Sep 30, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
A bit or a strange question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I'm booked DEN-NRT-CTS and CTS-NRT-DEN in January. NRT-CTS and CTS-NRT are on ANA. All W fare class, booked through United. I applied PP at booking... waitlisted, obviously.

If I search options to change flights, I can flip into the exact same flights, with the exact same fare classes (still W) and get a travel credit. Is there a downside to this? Will I be pushed further down the PP waitlist below other W fare class tickets due to the time of booking/application of PP?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 8:47 am

Upgrade Waitlist?

I'm thinking this is a simple question for the experts, while I am struggling even after reading what I could find here. Can someone tell me if an instant upgrade to Business is avail for these 2 flights below if I book the "Upgrade to Business" options? Or is this one of those instances where we'll have to wait closer to departure date to see if we get upgraded. There's a total of 9 of us flying. Thank you for any advice!

able for these two flights
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eroq20
Can someone tell me if an instant upgrade to Business is avail for these 2 flights below if I book the "Upgrade to Business" options? Or is this one of those instances where we'll have to wait closer to departure date to see if we get upgraded. There's a total of 9 of us flying. Thank you for any advice!
Waitlist (as indicated on the display). For an upgrade to clear immediately, you need PZ inventory. All those flights are PZ0. Upgrades on UA are in general difficult. Clearing 9 passengers will be virtually impossible.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking this is a simple question for the experts, while I am struggling even after reading what I could find here. Can someone tell me if an instant upgrade to Business is avail for these 2 flights below if I book the "Upgrade to Business" options? Or is this one of those instances where we'll have to wait closer to departure date to see if we get upgraded. There's a total of 9 of us flying. Thank you for any advice!
Both say "Upgrade waitlist," and that's what would happen -- you'd be put onto the waitlist and then cleared if space allows.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDtoAnywhere
A bit or a strange question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I'm booked DEN-NRT-CTS and CTS-NRT-DEN in January. NRT-CTS and CTS-NRT are on ANA. All W fare class, booked through United. I applied PP at booking... waitlisted, obviously.

If I search options to change flights, I can flip into the exact same flights, with the exact same fare classes (still W) and get a travel credit. Is there a downside to this? Will I be pushed further down the PP waitlist below other W fare class tickets due to the time of booking/application of PP?
It's unusual for UA to allow you to change onto the same flights you're already on, but it does sometimes happen. Your upgrade position, in theory, could potentially move, but time of request is now like the 8th tiebreaker or something, so in practice I doubt that it would. You'll have to reapply the PlusPoints though.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As mentioned, clearing 9 is basically impossible short of some miracle happening. I see your flight is in June, and not during Christmas time

With the fare inventory as is, don't expect much instrument wait-list upgrade clearing between now and closer to departure. It's way early, and United feels strongly it can sell all or nearly all of the seats (also the reason the current cheapest fare bucket is Q, and not K or G).

The only way to get confirmed to business cabin for all nine (!) passengers right away would be to buy business class ticket outright, or hope for cheap paid upgrade options (unlikely though).
Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Welcome to FT!

It's uncommon for UA to clear upgrades prior to check-in (T-24).

On flights departing China, that tells you nothing. UA858 is currently booked 17/60, which is still pretty light.
Thanks for the welcoming reply Kacee! How do I look up the true booking - Is there a tool I can subscribe to?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2023 at 1:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.