Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Silver on the first LGA-IAH this upcoming Saturday morning... any shot?

.... 2 non-elites on the same itinerary.
if on the same PNR -- 0% chance unless PNR is split
If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
if on the same PNR -- 0% chance unless PNR is split
Appreciate the heads up.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Silver on the first LGA-IAH this upcoming Saturday morning... any shot?

Additional deets: G fare, 11 open F seats, 7 E+ seats taken, 2 non-elites on the same itinerary.
after splitting i think the chances are semi-reasonable in this case.

your fare class will hurt you of course. all silvers on higher fare classes will be ahead of you, and the E+ load doesn't help you distinguish the amount of silver level competition.

of course, TODs are also an outstanding possibility when you see a flight load like this, and those won't help your cause either.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I am a Platinum, flying on a B fare from IAD to DXB 4/17. Put in for an upgrade with miles about two weeks ago. It's showing J6 at this point.

I snagged an upgrade on this same route with miles as a lowly silver last July but am getting nervous about this one. I know B is up there, but it's going to be a battlefield upgrade if it happens at all. Any recent experiences on this route? Especially with miles?

I am returning on a Y DEL-EWR May 1, which is too far out to try to read the tea leaves on. I did manage an u/g on this route last April with a gifted GPU on a B fare. Which goes first in priority: the GPU or the miles? I will be within striking distance of 1K this year and may buy some PQMs if the GPUs are ranked higher than miles in the priority of who snags that precious upgrade.

Thanks for helping me figure it out as I get back into heavier traveling.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by big V
I am a Platinum, flying on a B fare from IAD to DXB 4/17. Put in for an upgrade with miles about two weeks ago. It's showing J6 at this point.

I snagged an upgrade on this same route with miles as a lowly silver last July but am getting nervous about this one. I know B is up there, but it's going to be a battlefield upgrade if it happens at all. Any recent experiences on this route? Especially with miles?

I am returning on a Y DEL-EWR May 1, which is too far out to try to read the tea leaves on. I did manage an u/g on this route last April with a gifted GPU on a B fare. Which goes first in priority: the GPU or the miles? I will be within striking distance of 1K this year and may buy some PQMs if the GPUs are ranked higher than miles in the priority of who snags that precious upgrade.

Whether there is any priority between a GPU and a mileage upgrade is a subject of debate. Some assert UA will take the miles + co-pay first. I personally don't believe either has priority over the other, but that priority is determined by the published criteria, which are (1) status, (2) fare class, and (3) time of waitlisting.

In any event, status comes first. So a 1K on the cheapest discount fare will be prioritized ahead of a Plat on a Y or B fare. So the answer to your question is, if you hit 1K, your upgrades will have higher priority regardless whether you use miles or a GPU.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: MP, MM, HH Diamond
Couple questions..

Hi all! Very new to trying to figure all of these things out as I rarely fly, so any help would be incredibly appreciated.

I'll be flying DEN-NRT-TPE next month with 0 status. This is my second time flying DEN-NRT (previously did DEN-NRT-PVG a few years ago) and looks like i'll be on UA 787-8s both out/back.

For reference, I'm on an M fare (default for company booking on flexibles).

Here's my questions..
1) I put in for a MP Upgrade Award with sponsored miles and an OOP copay (due to Int'l I guess?) for the DEN-NRT leg. The flights about four weeks out with 0 R/RN, 12 BF seats available and booked 26/36 (I'm guessing there's a few others already WL?).

Realistically, what are my chances? This is for a Saturday flight.. only option.

I'm guessing anyone with any status will kick me to the curb when the lists are cleared.. My only hope is fare (M).

2) If I don't get cleared for the MUA on DEN-NRT, will that automatically roll to NRT-DEN on the return? (NRT-TPE is UA by JA, TPE-NRT is ANA).

3) If I (hopefully..) clear for the MUA, I put in for a E+ seat and paid the fee.. is it safe to assume I'll eat that E+ fee?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by behtyas
1) I put in for a MP Upgrade Award with sponsored miles and an OOP copay (due to Int'l I guess?) for the DEN-NRT leg. The flights about four weeks out with 0 R/RN, 12 BF seats available and booked 26/36 (I'm guessing there's a few others already WL?).

Realistically, what are my chances? This is for a Saturday flight.. only option.

I'm guessing anyone with any status will kick me to the curb when the lists are cleared.. My only hope is fare (M)....
Probably best to hear from those more familiar with the route. However, a generic answer would be, chances are poor. The waitlist priority is status, fare, time of request. So any elite would out rank you.

....2) If I don't get cleared for the MUA on DEN-NRT, will that automatically roll to NRT-DEN on the return? ....
no, that would take a separate request.

....3) If I (hopefully..) clear for the MUA, I put in for a E+ seat and paid the fee.. is it safe to assume I'll eat that E+ fee? ....
In the past UA explicit stated on upgrades, E+ fee would be refunded -- those statements have been removed from the website. Some have reported they still received the refund automatically -- see recent discussions in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-merged.html

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably best to hear from those more familiar with the route. However, a generic answer would be, chances are poor. The waitlist priority is status, fare, time of request. So any elite would out rank you.

no, that would take a separate request.
So for a round-trip, when UA mentions it's automatically applied to the next leg, those are only legs of a single direction? Just want to make sure I understand that right.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:58 am

So for a round-trip, when UA mentions it's automatically applied to the next leg, those are only legs of a single direction? Just want to make sure I understand that right.
The standard upgrade request will applied to all UA operated flights in one direction.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:24 am

Anyone familiar with EWR-BCN (764)? Flight is in about 2 weeks, and R is showing 0. J/C is showing 7. Do you think R will open up? If so, any idea when it's most likely?

Off topic, but somewhat related: what about an OLCI upgrade/buy-up offer?

Thank you.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Stud
Anyone familiar with EWR-BCN (764)? Flight is in about 2 weeks, and R is showing 0. J/C is showing 7. Do you think R will open up? If so, any idea when it's most likely?

Off topic, but somewhat related: what about an OLCI upgrade/buy-up offer?

Thank you.
2 weeks out, J7, is probably not all that promising for upgrades to clear.

OLCI cash offers, if available, are typically in the range of $899-1299 for TATL flights. rare are the TOD offers that are 'common' on shorter domestic segments.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll be flying DEN-NRT-TPE next month with 0 status. This is my second time flying DEN-NRT (previously did DEN-NRT-PVG a few years ago) and looks like i'll be on UA 787-8s both out/back.
Without knowing more specifics, can't really say, except that DEN-NRT is a difficult upgrade. SFO-NRT is much easier (and SFO-HND easier still). SFO-TPE has also had lots of R lately. DEN-NRT-TPE is not a good routing for upgrade odds.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Without knowing more specifics, can't really say, except that DEN-NRT is a difficult upgrade. SFO-NRT is much easier (and SFO-HND easier still). SFO-TPE has also had lots of R lately. DEN-NRT-TPE is not a good routing for upgrade odds.
Sorry! Is this helpful?
J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S7, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

I've been watching some flights for the last few days and it seems to be complete luck as suggested.

Ah well.. It'd be fantastic to get the upgrade, but I'll be happy with my E+ seats.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone want to speculate on my best options for getting UG (to C) to Europe two weeks from today? I've got lots of TATL options, none showing any R - SFO-FRA (903), IAH-FRA (46), IAH-LHR (921), IAH-MUC (104), and a bunch of routes out of ORD. I know routes like ORD-BRU are probably my top shot, but I'd greatly prefer the longer segments out of the other hubs. Everything except the 787 flights is showing open 9's in all business buckets down to P, and although I know SFO is a huge risk that flight's currently showing a ton of un-reserved premium seats (~31 C, 3 F). Thanks for your suggestions...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:44 am

Sorry! Is this helpful?
J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S7, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
It really isn't. I don't understand these requests for upgrade advice that don't include dates of travel.

As hinted in my earlier post, your best bet is to move to different flights. Do you have a change fee on that M fare?

I've been watching some flights for the last few days and it seems to be complete luck as suggested.
That's only if you roll the waitlist dice. I've cleared all my RPUs and GPUs over the past three years. The key is extremely careful flight selection.

Originally Posted by eflyte
Anyone want to speculate on my best options for getting UG (to C) to Europe two weeks from today?
You mean May 9 departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.