Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold/Platinum Marriott Gold Elite, HHonors Blue, SA Gold
Okay guys, i have an interesting one for you!!!!

Back in May, employer asked us all to fly to Columbia for a meeting. Normally i use Concur to book the flights, bur before i book i look on expert mode on United.com, choose flights with R>0 then book those in Concur, wait for it to be ticketed then use Miles +$$$ to upgrade to BF.

However just as i was doing this i had a message from someone in Admin asking that *she* book all the EMEA employees flights as she was a travel agent and could get ' you a better deal' I was kinda hoping by that she meant that she would upgrade us all as i couldn't see how a ' better deal' could be had otherwise, but that wasn't going to happen

I sent her my preferred flight which was now showing as R=2 and asked her to book asap and explained why. She didn't book it for 5 days. Needless to say i was livid. When she FINALLY booked it it was R=0 and has been ever since. i keep checking with expert mode but no luck. Heres now it looks atm:

Available Cabins: F3, FN3, A3, ON0, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN0, X0

E- is almost toally booked with 3 seats remaining. E+ looks about 1/3 full

oh and not ONLY did she screw it up, she also booked it in L!!!! I normally book in W, S or V

its UA 925 LHR->IAD on 7/19 currently showing around 12 seats in BF and 3 in GF.

I am Gold, booked in L, 20kmiles+cash instrument upgrade, and upgrade requested 5 weeks before flight date.

1) what are the chances i will clear?
2) is there any way i can view the waitlist so far in advance?

Last edited by msadmn; Jun 21, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by msadmn
its UA 925 LHR->IAD on 5/19
I don't think that's right.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:44 pm

Sorry, its scheduled on 7/19 !

Flight:UA925
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
Fare Class: United Economy (L)
Meal: Dinner
Upgrade Requested
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Booked 26/40 in BF. Some chance, but I would not call those great odds for gold on an L. Sunday is a tough day, too.

There is no way to see the waitlist until people begin checking in. And then it only shows pax who have checked-in.

UA919 is currently booked much lighter (16/40). You might look to do an SDC at T-24 if there's open R.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 21, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:10 pm

Sorry Kaycee,

I did fix that typo

The upgrade is for 19th July 2015
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:16 am

Thanks Kaycee, ill keep tha in mind.. tho i do think that it might cost some $$ to change, will see how much when it gets closer... iirc my upgrade should clear T-48 if it clears at all...
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by msadmn
Thanks Kaycee, ill keep tha in mind.. tho i do think that it might cost some $$ to change, will see how much when it gets closer... iirc my upgrade should clear T-48 if it clears at all...
at T-24h you can SDC for free to any other flight with the same booking class open and following the original routing rules.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Flight: UA133
Route: MUC - IAD
Date: Saturday, July 18
Instrument: Miles + Co-pay to BF
Equipment: 767-400
Booked: 25/39
Fare: S
Requested: Dec 23, 2014

I am a lowly Silver and my (future) wife is a GM. Any hope for us? Its not a huge deal if we don't clear, as it is a daytime flight, but the westbounds always feel sooooo long, and it would be nice to finish up the honeymoon in a little more comfort.

Last edited by rmlanman; Jun 23, 2015 at 4:42 pm Reason: Incorrect date
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Better upgrade chance: SFO-PVG, or SFO-LAX-PVG

Need to book a flight SFO to PVG August 1-7. Are my upgrade chances (W fare w/GPU) better on the SFO-PVG route, or on SFO-LAX-PVG? I have always taken the direct flight, never went thru LAX or traveled on the Dreamliner either. I was thinking of trying that route this time, and seeing how the Dreamliner is.

On the way back I was just going to select the direct route.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't have first-hand experience, but I would imagine LAX-PVG has better odds than SFO-PVG. Also a better fallback position to end up in Y on a 787 vs. the 747 out of SFO, IMO.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:01 pm

Loads vary so much day to day that it's difficult to provide a meaningful response to these sorts of questions.

I assume you have already checked for open R on each of those dates?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
August 1 is Saturday; August 7 Friday. Both are VERY elite heavy travel days for transpac flights. Better book the flights that have the best available Y seats, and cross fingers.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Peoples experience with upgrades economy to BF for SFO-PEK-SFO

I know I am taking a hiatus from responding in threads but I still have questions.

My wife and I are flying Thursday 15 Oct 2015 SFO-PEK on UA 889. We both have flexible W fares, wanted these to increase chances and make it easier to change if need to. I already paid the miles and co-pay for upgrade and we are waitlisted for the upgrades to BF. For the returns, I am returning Saturday October 31st PEK-SFO on UA 888 and she is returning 2 weeks later on November 14th on UA 888. Both again on flexible W fares, waitlisted with miles and co-pay.

We are both Platinum on separate tickets and PNRs because she is coming back a different date.

What are peoples experience with if and when R opens up for our upgrades to clear. We leave a week after the Chinese national holiday so that shouldn't have an influence. I am checking daily for R space just incase it opens and our upgrades don't automatically clear.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Baze
I know I am taking a hiatus from responding in threads but I still have questions.

My wife and I are flying Thursday 15 Oct 2015 SFO-PEK on UA 889. We both have flexible W fares, wanted these to increase chances and make it easier to change if need to. I already paid the miles and co-pay for upgrade and we are waitlisted for the upgrades to BF. For the returns, I am returning Saturday October 31st PEK-SFO on UA 888 and she is returning 2 weeks later on November 14th on UA 888. Both again on flexible W fares, waitlisted with miles and co-pay.

We are both Platinum on separate tickets and PNRs because she is coming back a different date.

What are peoples experience with if and when R opens up for our upgrades to clear. We leave a week after the Chinese national holiday so that shouldn't have an influence. I am checking daily for R space just incase it opens and our upgrades don't automatically clear.

Thanks in advance.
This was 3 years ago, so I was less educated / times were different, but I bought up to J as a GM back in 2012 for $600 (a steal IMO). It was mid-July and there was enough availability the day before the flight to get the HOD, so hopefully bodes well if since you are flying offseason...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I flew SFO-PEK last year (on a Friday, with an S fare if that helps). While in the UA Club I decided to do the mile and co-pay. Was put on the waiting list but it cleared for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.