Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by Kacee
And PN is . . . ?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:54 pm

Have you been to The Loft at BRU yet?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Irrelevant for a 1K.
Wrong. So wrong.

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Personally, I'd risk the waitlist.

Means there are no GS waitlisted and they will probably open R next.

You might also check load using Nilshomer Tool.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
...I never really bought up before, either was booked in F or just didnt care enough to try. Where does the buy up offer show up? Would it only show up during OLCI or on the manage booking page? And if on the manage booking page, where? Next to the mileage accelerator offer or would I have to click upgrade?
Thanks!
Buy-up offers can occur in multiple ways
-- At booking (on ua.com)
-- On united.com below your reservation details -- may or may not be available
-- Try a change flight to change from economy to First/Business
-- At Check-in
-- At the airport kiosks
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:13 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Buy-up offers can occur in multiple ways
-- At booking (on ua.com)
-- On united.com below your reservation details -- may or may not be available
-- Try a change flight to change from economy to First/Business
-- At Check-in
-- At the airport kiosks
Thanks! What I've noticed though is the offer that comes up right after booking is usually just the difference in fare between the cost of buying F and buying Y. I guess I'll keep an eye on the loads as the date approaches.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Last night's early red-eye SFO-IAD (UA 692 IIRC), a 739, had 1 out of 20 seats marked as upgraded. Red-eyes used to be relatively easy upgrades; I'd often chance a CPU on them depending on loads. I know the gate & app lists for who's upgraded can be inaccurate--after all, they list F award tickets as "upgrades"--but I've noticed a lot of the routes I've been buying F on have had very few upgraders over the past year-plus.

I was wondering why it was nearly impossible to switch flights to SFO on Friday morning and keep F until I realized, "Superbowl weekend--duh!" (and apparently there's a Metallica concert and other events going on, too, based on what I've seen friends posting on social media). But that shouldn't affect the loads on a Friday redeye back to the east coast...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: N/A
While obviously dependent on availability, can anyone provide any color into the possibility of being upgraded from a NYC - Las Vegas flight on a wednesday or thursday night as a paid platinum ticket?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:24 pm

You're talking about an upgrade via CPU, right? Not via instrument or miles?

Those are definitely non-peak times and thus should be easier upgrades (well, Wednesday is, anyway; Thursday night could get into the consultant travel period, though for the route that would be odd).

That also means, though, that UA is likely aggressively selling (and pricing) upgrades for those flights/times. I have failed "gimmie" upgrades using RPUs several times the past year, due I suspect to simple paid demand via cheap upgrades.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by exerda
You're talking about an upgrade via CPU, right? Not via instrument or miles?

Those are definitely non-peak times and thus should be easier upgrades (well, Wednesday is, anyway; Thursday night could get into the consultant travel period, though for the route that would be odd).

That also means, though, that UA is likely aggressively selling (and pricing) upgrades for those flights/times. I have failed "gimmie" upgrades using RPUs several times the past year, due I suspect to simple paid demand via cheap upgrades.

Thank you, yes this would be a just general upgrades not a mileage earned upgrade. Good to know. Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:17 pm

FWIW, my Thursday morning IAD-DEN flight is down to F2 without my GPU clearing yet.

I'm in paid F, but my wife, thanks to SkyWest operating the connecting flight "at risk" apparently, had to book hers as a revenue economy ticket with my GPU applied (one of the two I had extended, FWIW). Does not look likely to clear. They were trying to upsell me yesterday for ~$250; if it had been me, I'd have taken it. She says she's willing to sit in Y.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Platinum
Sunday Night 1796 RPU?

Have any 1Ks out there had any luck with an RPU on the last p.s. out of SFO on a Sunday night? If so, do you remember what fare you were on? I'm on 1796 in a few weekends, trying to get an idea of my chances.

Currently at J9, R0, and seemingly 10 unsold BF seats (based on nilshomer.com), but this Sunday's flight is J2 4 days out.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: United 1K
Global Services Chances

I'm traveling with a co-worker who is GS (we are booked on the same reservation so I show being CPU eligible with him at 120 hours as well instead of Silver 24 hours).

Chances for us on these flights?
2/17/16 - #1126 IAH- DEN
2/17/16 - #1126 DEN - ANC
2/23/16 - #1104 ANC - DEN
2/24/16 - #1877 DEN - IAH

With the website re-design, where is the best place to pull fare availability?
At the eligible time tomorrow morning does it make sense to call the GS desk to inquire about availability or just rely on the system to clear everything?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
So even though UA923 on this Friday is currently booked 17/40 in C, they are still keeping the flight PN9 R0 RN0 I0 IN0... and according to the agent who I spoke with, everyone on the waitlist would clear and there would still be seats left over. So, does anyone have a clue as to why UA is not releasing R inventory?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
I'm traveling with a co-worker who is GS (we are booked on the same reservation so I show being CPU eligible with him at 120 hours as well instead of Silver 24 hours).

Chances for us on these flights?
2/17/16 - #1126 IAH- DEN
2/17/16 - #1126 DEN - ANC
2/23/16 - #1104 ANC - DEN
2/24/16 - #1877 DEN - IAH

With the website re-design, where is the best place to pull fare availability?
At the eligible time tomorrow morning does it make sense to call the GS desk to inquire about availability or just rely on the system to clear everything?
If you are asking how to check if PN is available, you need to turn on expert mode in your MP profile online. Then, when you search for flights, fare class availability will be under each flight in the "details" tab (right next to seat map). I would always recommend calling to get upgrades pushed through if you are within the GS window and PN is available. Why leave it to chance?

I will tell you that 1126 to Denver is the 787 9am flight I think and that one has a lot of people buying the front cabin generally. It's pretty rare to see PN availability on it more than a day or two out in my experience with that flight. Best of luck.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fgirard
So, does anyone have a clue as to why UA is not releasing R inventory?
They seem to be holding the TATL upgrades to the gate a relatively high percentage of the time now.

Different from how the TPACs are handled.

Edited to add: now booked to 25 with a bunch showing cleared . . . I'm guessing you're in 7A?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.