Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire RA
So far so good, 5 for 5 CPU's, knocking on wood.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:54 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
1/2 CPU (just barely did not make one SFO-RNO), 2/2 GPU so far.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
So far I'm just 4/8 in CPU chances this year, though I just had a real whopper clear. This past weekend, PHL-ORD leg cleared on an N class fare for me and my buddy, at the 96 hour cutoff. I'm a 1K for the very first time so I am not used to this. WHOA! I like this. Regrettably the return did not clear, but we still had nice E+ seats.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver
CDG-SFO on 3/13 - I put in for an upgrade using miles + copay a few weeks ago when I bought the ticket. Right now it says:

Available fare classes:
J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P6
PN0
R0
RN0
IN0
I0
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G0
N0
XN9
X9

Also of note, every time I try to search this flight on the website just to see if there's an R space, it actually says Economy (lowest) is unavailable, even though there are lots of seats available. For me, this leg was part of larger itinerary, so I didn't actually book it as a one way, but currently you are not able to do that. Wonder why?

Anyway, any chance on earth of this clearing? I'm starting to be nervous about even getting an E+ seat as Silver. There is no way my knee will tolerate E- on a flight that long.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm booked in two weeks GUM-NRT-ORD-DCA on a Saver Business award. NRT-ORD is in lie-flats, ORD-DCA is in F on a RJ. GUM-NRT has "I class requested" but I am currently in Y as there's no saver F space available.

I've heard there's something called a PR1 waitlist I may be eligible for, that could get me into F on the GUM-NRT flight. Is this something I might automatically get upgraded on? Is this something I need to call or ask the GA to put me on? I also heard that this is an ex-CO provision, would the fact that I'm flying out of an ex-CO hub help my chances as the agents should know what this is?

Just curious if I have a shot at getting out of Y and into F on the GUM-NRT flight. Thanks!

Last edited by aoumd; Feb 3, 2016 at 4:59 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:13 pm

1k Booked 2 SEA->ORD->AMS tickets for April 16
Returning LHR->SFO->SEA April 29
W class, used 4 GPU's, booked in September, rough odds? Planes are relatively open currently, LHR to SFO scares me a bit

Last edited by sholnay; Feb 4, 2016 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have a flight tomorrow SFO-CDG and I'm going to book into V or W, depending on the price difference, and am a 1K ... there is currently no R availability, but there is J2. Do I have any shot at clearing one GPU for myself?
Did you clear?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:01 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Chance of my upgrade clearing

1K on an S fare flying SFO-IAH on a Sunday afternoon in late March. The aircraft is a 787. Applied an RPU to this.

So, what are the chances of it clearing?
do you think RPU is needed? Or should I take it off?

Thank you!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
1K on an S fare flying SFO-IAH on a Sunday afternoon in late March. The aircraft is a 787. Applied an RPU to this.

So, what are the chances of it clearing?
do you think RPU is needed? Or should I take it off?

Thank you!
Sunday afternoon out of SFO is peak travel time for those going to IAH to be available for business Monday morning. Lots of elites and lots of high fares.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Best chances for GPU going to DUB

I'm planning on a vacation to Dublin in July. I'm based in IAH so I will have to connect somewhere. Are any DUB routes typically better for clearing a GPU? Or are they all about the same?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:58 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sunday afternoon out of SFO is peak travel time for those going to IAH to be available for business Monday morning. Lots of elites and lots of high fares.
I would agree. I've had SFO-IAH flights as part of Intl itineraries on a W or higher fare with a GPU applied that didn't clear where the IAH-xxx flights cleared at time of booking.

You may want to keep an eye on the buy-up price.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:53 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by sb3
I would agree. I've had SFO-IAH flights as part of Intl itineraries on a W or higher fare with a GPU applied that didn't clear where the IAH-xxx flights cleared at time of booking.

You may want to keep an eye on the buy-up price.
Wow I knew this would be a tough one, but didnt know it was going to be this tough. Don't really fly into/out of SFO that much, and the F fares were crazy high.
F was about $700 more for the return then Y. I'll definitely try to buy up then.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, first time 1K and 2015 was my first year flying UA. I never really bought up before, either was booked in F or just didnt care enough to try. Where does the buy up offer show up? Would it only show up during OLCI or on the manage booking page? And if on the manage booking page, where? Next to the mileage accelerator offer or would I have to click upgrade?
Thanks!

Last edited by S.R; Feb 5, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Connection or GPU Lottery?

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice on whether to play the GPU lottery or book a connection on a TATL flight w/ R space already open. I'm looking at CDG-ORD on a Saturday. The nonstop is currently P9 R0, but if I book a connection through BRU I can confirm space now on BRU-ORD.

Generally, I would always just play it safe with the connection, especially since it's a Saturday day flight so I'm not crunched for time. The only reason I'm considering gambling is that CDG-ORD on other Saturdays has quite a bit of R space open.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
I'm looking at CDG-ORD on a Saturday. The nonstop is currently P9 R0, but if I book a connection through BRU I can confirm space now on BRU-ORD.
And PN is . . . ?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And PN is . . . ?
Irrelevant for a 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.