Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 1:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=1k650;26629172]Where will the buy-ups appear before check-in? Under "redeem upgrade" ? Right now, UA wants over $1300 for buy-up under redeem upgrades (if I am looking in the right place) ? ...[quote] there is sometimes a "upgrade for class" ad / offer when viewing your itin.

Originally Posted by 1k650
... Also, is there any way to looking on the mobile site for the load more than 3 days out? Changing the date in the url does not work any more
It is gone
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...available.html
Old May 16, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1k650
Where will the buy-ups appear before check-in? Under "redeem upgrade" ? Right now, UA wants over $1300 for buy-up under redeem upgrades (if I am looking in the right place) ?

Also, is there any way to looking on the mobile site for the load more than 3 days out? Changing the date in the url does not work any more
That's the right place. A (probably) lower price will be offered at OLCI.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Deleted

Last edited by 1k650; May 19, 2016 at 5:04 am
Old May 17, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Question about upgrades on EWR-SEA route

Having never flown this route before hopefully someone who does can give me some advice. I am taking the 7:59am EWR-SEA one way next Thursday with a companion. I am Platinum on an S fare in E+. As of now First is pretty open with 17/20 seats open. I don't really know how easy it is to obtain CPU on this route, so I'm just wondering what my chances are. Is it fairly easy as a Platinum or should I split our reservation to better the chances? R9 as of now, so the advanced CPU should be possible unless theres a lot of GS/1K... Thanks!
Old May 17, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
My jaw is on the floor at R9 and 17/20 being open in F nine days out. UA has reduced capacity in SEA far faster than its MP base has switched airlines (that includes me), and as a result upgrades are very tough to come by, except perhaps to SFO (no meal on UA; meals on DL and AS). As a Plat, I have not been close to a CPU into or out of Seattle from that side of the Mississippi since the merger; I typically fail with an RPU. On my last flight, I could not buy F eight weeks out.

So, IME, it's a longshot as a Plat. But a lot of seats are open. It is, however, possible that there are 17 GS-1K-higher fare Plats and their companions on the flight. Maybe check after the 1K window and see if you want to apply an RPU.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Looking pretty good. Last time I flew that route, I snagged the last R availability on an A320. R=9, so maybe just keep an eye on if that number starts creeping down at all. Certainly seems like you are sitting pretty though.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I'm trying to book a RT BOS-LIS itinerary using 2 GPUs. I'm looking for a Fri/Sat departure anytime in September or October with a Sat/Sun return. I've been looking for weeks but haven't seen any itineraries with confirmation at booking. Is LIS a notoriously difficult destination?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
What are the chances (miles+copay) on a weekday HKG-SFO in October? (I'm noticing some R space on HKG-ORD, but none on the HKG-SFO (yet?))
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by televisor
What are the chances (miles+copay) on a weekday HKG-SFO in October? (I'm noticing some R space on HKG-ORD, but none on the HKG-SFO (yet?))
Highly dependent on the particular flight.

I've burned something like 12 GPUs on 869/862 over the past four years, virtually always a Thursday/Friday out and a Monday/Tuesday return. But you have to either book into open R or choose your flights very very carefully.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My IAD-LHR finally cleared. It's still showing R9/RN9.

Unfortunately, it's also I0/IN0 (still!), and my wife is in Y at the moment on her award.

No idea why they're tracking R and I inventory so far apart on this flight...
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
Originally Posted by Kacee
Highly dependent on the particular flight.

I've burned something like 12 GPUs on 869/862 over the past four years, virtually always a Thursday/Friday out and a Monday/Tuesday return. But you have to either book into open R or choose your flights very very carefully.
HKG used to be one of hardest u/g in system, but ever since UA dropped BKK, I've started to fly via HKG, both sCO from EWR (which used to be IMPOSSIBLE to clear in PMCO days) and sUA via SFO, which is supposed to be hard.

While I do my best to clear into R at booking, I've rolled the dice, and haven't sat in coach in years

Good for me, bad for UA as people paying for Biz to HKG are most likely choosing other carriers.

One more I chalk up to SMI,J ..... 'sppose I should not complain as either get aisle access in middle row sCO or UD on sUA (yes, they've cleared early enough to choose UD seats).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Alaska 75K Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Flying to Singapore from SFO on Oct 2nd and really hoping that my GPU clears. I was even thinking about buying one fare class higher than my W that I am on to separate from the pack.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I'm waitlisted on SFO-SIN for next week, July 14. At booking time 1.5 months ago, SFO-HKG-SIN had R space availability, but I wanted to try this new direct route, so I rolled the dice. I'm thinking now that I should've just booked the sure thing.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:48 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kyee
I'm thinking now that I should've just booked the sure thing.
That's what I would have done @:-)

And not just because I've already flown 789 before. Moreover I tend to like break up my flights, which is why I'm unhappy with UA dismantling NRT hub.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Curious about an upcoming Denver to Haneda flight, is this a busy route and any idea on upgrade chances (either at the gate or at check-in with $)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.