Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yeah, that is what is weird, they are booked 32/39 - 7 not booked, but F6 ie willing to sell 6 seats. Only 5 open seats on the seat map.

Not to mention, I booked this flight the day after it became available and I picked the first 2 seats in FC, nothing was blocked.
Most plausible explanation here is UA only needs one crew rest seat on this particular flight, but since they "anticipate" needing a maximum of two, they block two seats on the map in advance. Closer in, now they know they only need one seat for crew, they're willing to sell up to capacity-1 rather than capacity-2, but the seat still shows blocked on the map.

Most common place I see this is the pmUA 772s that service IAD<>SFO -- 6B autoblocks because every intl flight treats that seat as crew rest, but UA RM will sell the seat (ie with 3 seats remaining, UA shows J3 even though there are only two unassigned seats, since 6B remains blocked). Then the "unneeded" blocked seat becomes available at T-48 or 24.

As for why there were no blocks at the point you booked the flight -- common practice for UA not to sort things like seat blocks until T-330d (or often later).
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfo789
Most common place I see this is the pmUA 772s that service IAD<>SFO -- 6B autoblocks because every intl flight treats that seat as crew rest, but UA RM will sell the seat (ie with 3 seats remaining, UA shows J3 even though there are only two unassigned seats, since 6B remains blocked). Then the "unneeded" blocked seat becomes available at T-48 or 24.
LAX-LIH on the 752 constantly generates this question. They will sell the F cabin to 16, but 4A/B are blocked until T-48.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfo789
Most plausible explanation here is UA only needs one crew rest seat on this particular flight, but since they "anticipate" needing a maximum of two, they block two seats on the map in advance. Closer in, now they know they only need one seat for crew, they're willing to sell up to capacity-1 rather than capacity-2, but the seat still shows blocked on the map.

As for why there were no blocks at the point you booked the flight -- common practice for UA not to sort things like seat blocks until T-330d (or often later).
This is 767-400 HNL-IAD, so that makes sense, but holy crap is that confusing
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:30 pm

Following up on an earlier query

We are still waitlisted for a miles + copay upgrade from LAX-LHR on August 6. Expert mode shows the same fare availability as it did several weeks ago, but the website now no longer allows waitlisting for an upgrade. For both cash and awards upgrades it says "on line upgrade not available."

Can anybody explain what that might mean -- i.e., for the chances of an upgrade (if indeed it implies anything at all)?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We are still waitlisted for a miles + copay upgrade from LAX-LHR on August 6. Expert mode shows the same fare availability as it did several weeks ago, but the website now no longer allows waitlisting for an upgrade. For both cash and awards upgrades it says "on line upgrade not available."

Can anybody explain what that might mean -- i.e., for the chances of an upgrade (if indeed it implies anything at all)?
If I have already requested an upgrade using miles/copay, that option will no longer be available. The buy-up sometimes to continue to show up as an option; other times it does not. I think that's perhaps a function of the fare buy-up no longer showing; sometimes I think it's one of those quirky .bomb bugs.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
....Can anybody explain what that might mean -- i.e., for the chances of an upgrade (if indeed it implies anything at all)?
It means nothing other than you've already requested a mileage/instrument upgrade, so the option is not there.

With PN9, the odds of an upgrade aren't zero.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 4, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It means nothing other than you've already requested a mileage/instrument upgrade, so the option is not there.

With PN9, the odds of an upgrade aren't zero.
That's vaguely encouraging, I guess. Sure would be nice to get that email about being upgraded, though.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Thoughts on this one?

ORD-YVR next week, Gold member with waitlisted RPU on a T fare

Available fare classes:
F4 A3 JN4 C4 D3 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0
Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G5 N9 XN5 X2
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Thoughts on this one?

ORD-YVR next week, Gold member with waitlisted RPU on a T fare

Available fare classes:
F4 A3 JN4 C4 D3 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0
Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G5 N9 XN5 X2
4 seats available, any GS ahead of you, any 1K on Y,B,M fare, any 1K, Plat and most Golds using supported upgrades ahead of you -- hope you have good E+ seat and hope for some misconnects
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
4 seats available, any GS ahead of you, any 1K on Y,B,M fare, any 1K, Plat and most Golds using supported upgrades ahead of you --
Thanks- That's what I figured. Sulking a bit because 2hr change in client meeting time required change to this flight vs previous routing where I'd been cleared into R since 2 weeks ago

hope you have good E+ seat and hope for some misconnects
Currently have an E+ middle, but checking app every few hours just in case one of the GS/1Ks/Plats/Golds ahead of me happens to be in 7F or 2nd exit row so I can snag it instead.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver

I think chances are high.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:21 pm

Well, today the website shows PN0 for our flight. That's not a good sign, right?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well, today the website shows PN0 for our flight. That's not a good sign, right?
It's not optimal, but PN could very easily go back to g.t. zero (even PN9). Unless you plan on changing flights or whatever if you don't think you're gonna get the upgrade, no use worrying about it/watching it. What you do want to do is watch for is R to open and call in immediately if you see it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:50 pm

Thanks, that "R" is what I'm checking on. It hasn't budged (at least not when I'm looking). But I thought someone noted earlier that it's promising if we see PN9; hence, my question. Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:55 am

Just cleared on UA901 SFO-LHR on Thursday on a V fare of ~$1k one way (combined with a roundtrip in D) purchased last week. Z fares last minute were $4.5k one way (when combined with a round trip). R is wide open on Tues and Thurs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.