Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Is there a typical cash upgrade offer at check-in for flights to Europe ex-IAH? I'm currently waitlisted with miles+co-pay.
What is inventory? I saw $899 on IAH-LHR a while back, then cleared an hour later on a GPU. (Flight was PN9 then went R9)
Old May 31, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by sfo789
What is inventory? I saw $899 on IAH-LHR a while back, then cleared an hour later on a GPU. (Flight was PN9 then went R9)
Unfortunately, it's trending in the wrong direction!

It was Z9 and ZN9 just a few days ago...
Attached Images  
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying back from Zurich to EWR on Friday. Business is booked on my flight but there is a ZRH-IAD-EWR that looks like there are about 5 J seats open. Is it even worth my time wait listing on my direct flight then doing a SDC to the connecting flight with the hopes of clearing into J?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by mike2003242
I'm flying back from Zurich to EWR on Friday. Business is booked on my flight but there is a ZRH-IAD-EWR that looks like there are about 5 J seats open. Is it even worth my time wait listing on my direct flight then doing a SDC to the connecting flight with the hopes of clearing into J?
It looks like ZRH-IAD will open in R, yes (already PN7), but to get upgraded you'd need (1) to be in fare class W or higher and apply a GPU, or (2) to request a miles+copay upgrade (usually 20k miles+$550 for Europe-US on low fares). If you want to do that, the SDC+upgrade on the phone should work nicely (I suspect it'll be R9 within T-24 so you could confirm the upgrade immediately).

EDIT: sorry, reread this properly. No point waitlisting ZRH-EWR, since the waitlist request wouldn't follow with the SDC anyway. Just do the SDC onto ZRH-IAD-EWR once R>0, then ask the agent "I see there's open R space, can I apply a GPU please?"

Last edited by sfo789; Jun 3, 2017 at 11:16 pm Reason: detail
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfo789
It looks like ZRH-IAD will open in R, yes (already PN7), but to get upgraded you'd need (1) to be in fare class W or higher and apply a GPU, or (2) to request a miles+copay upgrade (usually 20k miles+$550 for Europe-US on low fares). If you want to do that, the SDC+upgrade on the phone should work nicely (I suspect it'll be R9 within T-24 so you could confirm the upgrade immediately).

EDIT: sorry, reread this properly. No point waitlisting ZRH-EWR, since the waitlist request wouldn't follow with the SDC anyway. Just do the SDC onto ZRH-IAD-EWR once R>0, then ask the agent "I see there's open R space, can I apply a GPU please?"
Thank you!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:04 am

Should I bet on this flight from EWR to SFO Monday morning at 8am?
Seatmap looks very good (it's the new 773ER) with plenty of open seats. flight is 3 weeks out. Im a 1K and will be using an RPU.

Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ILflier
Should I bet on this flight from EWR to SFO Monday morning at 8am?
Seatmap looks very good (it's the new 773ER) with plenty of open seats. flight is 3 weeks out. Im a 1K and will be using an RPU.

I would say that you might have a decent shot, but UA aggressively sells front cabin at OLCI for the p.s. flights...so might be a bit of a crapshoot. That said, I have generally had better success on earlier-morning flights going west.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:44 am

Do you consider 8:00 to be an early morning flight?

I can opt in for the 7 or 6 am - but thought that experiance would be nicer on this one in case i get upgraded and that the much bigger first class cabin would yield a better chance.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ILflier
Do you consider 8:00 to be an early morning flight?

I can opt in for the 7 or 6 am - but thought that experiance would be nicer on this one in case i get upgraded and that the much bigger first class cabin would yield a better chance.
I consider 8AM to be an early morning flight. You'd have to arrive at the airport by 7AM which usually means a 6/630AM departure from NYC.

I'm usually on the 10AM one heading westbound and have always gotten upgraded (1K on an RPU)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
TXL-EWR GPU upgrade possibilities?

Long time lurker and occasional responder now starting my first new thread. Help educate me folks... chances of GPU clearing on this are...

Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I obviously need to learn the trick for pasting in screen shots... see below

Berlin, DE (TXL - Tegel) to New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty)
9:40 am - 12:35 pm (8h 55m)
UA 963 | Boeing 767-400ER

• Available fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L6
  • K0
  • G0
  • N0
  • XN2
  • X0
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I've flown TXL>EWR several times, and IMO upgrades are definitely possible midweek.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2017 at 3:17 pm Reason: Cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:51 pm

Question Chance of GPU upgrade clearing LHR-DEN?

After getting a new job a year or so ago, I've travelled a bit and have Premier 1K United status, plus some GPUs.

I'm flying LHR-DEN in September and thinking of using some GPUs. None of the flight options have R availability but I can get waitlisted.

I'm happy to fly United if I have a good chance of getting upgraded, but as BA have a direct flight on this route I'd rather fly with them if I'm going to end up in economy.

There is heaps of information out there about GPU success, and the answer seems to be: it depends. So, what are my chances? I'm totally new to this game, so I'd appreciate any thoughts from those of you with more experience!

Specific flights I'm looking at:

10 Sep: LHR-ORD (UA928), ORD-DEN (UA407)
17 Sep: DEN-IAD (UA652), IAD-LHR (UA924)

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't predict availability, but wouldn't you rather have E+ as a 1K on UA than basic E on BA?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I can't predict availability, but wouldn't you rather have E+ as a 1K on UA than basic E on BA?
Thanks for the reply!

That's a fair question - I suppose that might tip the balance, along with lounge access etc. (I don't have any status with BA.) Flying direct still has a high convenience value for me though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.