Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:58 am

Family of four waitlisted for tomorrow's flight to Asia, when I checked in this morning, the reservation was separated into four. Any previous experiences like this? Will it impact our waitlist on the way back? ... We are platinum & gold member, kids are not member. Called united to ask the reason but no answer. The UA system is really weird. Any comments
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rebyang
Family of four waitlisted for tomorrow's flight to Asia, when I checked in this morning, the reservation was separated into four. Any previous experiences like this? Will it impact our waitlist on the way back? ... We are platinum & gold member, kids are not member. Called united to ask the reason but no answer. The UA system is really weird. Any comments
Any type of waitlisted reservation will be split upon check-in, as the UA system can only clear one person at a time at the gate.

This will impact your waitlist on the return flight in two ways. 1 - it's possible that part of your party will clear and part will not (incidentally, that's possible tomorrow at the gate, also). 2 - Your children may have lower upgrade priority, as they may now be clearing based on their own status level instead of yours or your spouse's (none vs. platinum).

In the future, the only way to avoid this is to call UA to remove the upgrade / waitlist request before check-in or to purchase one-way tickets (which are often vastly more expensive on international flights when paying cash, and will cost twice the change / cancellation fees if you need to make changes).
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:37 am

Thanks for the information! Jsloan
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:40 am

Has anyone ever cleared into I on UA49? BOM - EWR

Is this a impossible route to clear?

Mumbai, IN (BOM) to New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty)
UA 49 Boeing 777-200
  • Available fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Mileageplus
Upgrade situation

Originally Posted by adr7090
Hi There,
I am scheduled to travel SIN-LAX January 7th and requested a MUA on a "U" class fare on the 7'th November as a Premier Platinum. I now SIN-SFO is insanely hard to get an upgrade although it's old Polaris compared to HKG-SFO which has the new classy polaris. As of today the available classes stands as below.
  • J9
  • JN5
  • C5
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q0
  • V0
  • W0
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0
The flight is a 787-9 with 48 business seats and are currently 25 available. Any information would be great otherwise I am planning to switch to SIN-HKG-SFO route as there are new polaris available for upgrade for the HKG-SFO route.
Thanks to all of you.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Mileageplus
I found an alternate solution after chatting with the premier desk. They found me to reroute via TPE, so the new segment stands (Instead of SIN-LAX original),
SIN-BKK-TPE (using 35K miles with $16copay) all business on THAI, then TPE-SFO (new United polaris business)-LAX, I paid the difference as it was only $1000 more to upgrade from my original ticket price which was $1940, but I get $350 copay back with my 30k miles for the original MUA request on the U fare from SIN-LAX.

Also what I observed on the seating configuration for business class before and after changing my route-there were 26 occupied seats and 22 open seats on the 787-9, as soon as I changed my itinerary from this route it indicated 25 occupied seats instead of 26, although the seating map is not an exact guarantee of the seat availability at that moment, I tend to believe my MUA upgrade request would have cleared at some point even there are GPU requests ahead.
But I am not excited to experience the new polaris business as my in bound flights to SIN, I will be on Lufthansa and Austrian Business class.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:19 am

Very preliminary. Looking at HKG-ORD upgrading with Miles/Copay with no status. Would I have higher chances going through NRT or some other routing. Also, is it possible to get I space on this flight ever?

Seems like a very challenging flight to upgrade (GS friend used a GPU so I cleared out of PN on the outbound).
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
One of my friends (UA Silver status) received an op-up from Y-J on UA53 ZRH-IAD today... Y was not oversold... in fact there were still 15+ seats open. Not sure how that happened considering he was on a K fare. I have only had 1 op-up on an int'l, and that was when they were in a desperate situation to bump people from the flight, and they filled out remaining J/F inventory by upgrading people from Y/J to minimize the damage.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Wow, Merry Christmas to him.

Did he nag the agent for the upgrade?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Odds of clearing for a Gold with a 1K applied GPU:

Redeye SFO-EWR, sCO 752, 2/16 booked in biz cabin, L fare econ;
Early morning SFO-EWR, UA 772, 2/28 booked in biz cabin, G fare econ?

What can be done to improve these odds?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by lesamuel
Odds of clearing for a Gold with a 1K applied GPU:

Redeye SFO-EWR, sCO 752, 2/16 booked in biz cabin, L fare econ;
Early morning SFO-EWR, UA 772, 2/28 booked in biz cabin, G fare econ?

What can be done to improve these odds?
As per last time, we need dates and inventory to have any clue, but odds are poor on both. The 6am SFO-EWR on the HD772 in particular has recently become extremely difficult. Any redeye not on a Saturday night is essentially impossible.

To improve your odds, become a GS/1K, or more realistically take a $299 upgrade offer if you see it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2017 at 6:56 pm Reason: Removed comment as moot after Moderator actions
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sfo789

Please don't double post across this and the upgrade list thread [mods: worth merging, [url]https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29185287-post614.html ].

As per last time, we need dates and inventory to have any clue, but odds are poor on both. The 6am SFO-EWR on the HD772 in particular has recently become extremely difficult. Any redeye not on a Saturday night is essentially impossible.

To improve your odds, become a GS/1K, or more realistically take a $299 upgrade offer if you see it.
Early morning HD772 on a Friday is
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P4
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
752 redeye on a Thursday is
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
Sorry for the double post!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Friday morning is sometimes doable, and P is a decent sign (though I've no idea how far into the future this is). I'd be comfortable giving it a shot as a 1K, but as a Gold your odds are always going to be low. Maybe 10-20%?

Thursday redeye doesn't even need inventory for me to be able to tell you your odds are exactly zero.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789
Friday morning is sometimes doable, and P is a decent sign (though I've no idea how far into the future this is). I'd be comfortable giving it a shot as a 1K, but as a Gold your odds are always going to be low. Maybe 10-20%?

Thursday redeye doesn't even need inventory for me to be able to tell you your odds are exactly zero.
The week I'm looking at is in early March, so yes, odds are difficult to gauge. On this particular Friday there's another HD772 about an hour after the flight I gave, if that changes anything.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lesamuel
The week I'm looking at is in early March, so yes, odds are difficult to gauge.
Four months out? Completely pointless to speculate about any particular flight. In general, what can be said is that odds for a Gold on ps are next to zero at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.