Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:55 pm

A question. Now family of 4 on waitlist using mileage upgrade for international flight on this coming Saturday. I am Platinum member. Now only see 3 vacant seats on business class. Shall I separate the reservation into 2 (1 adult + 1 kid) to increase the chance? or just wait at the gate?. My concern is that if there are only 3 seats for upgrading after check in, would 3 of my family be upgraded?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rebyang
A question. Now family of 4 on waitlist using mileage upgrade for international flight on this coming Saturday. I am Platinum member. Now only see 3 vacant seats on business class. ...
Things can change to misconnects and/or changed plans. But it does not look good.

Shall I separate the reservation into 2 (1 adult + 1 kid) to increase the chance? ....
It might help a little BUT generally UA will go to the gate of an international flight will 2 seats open. As not to close out last minute high priority elites.

or just wait at the gate?. My concern is that if there are only 3 seats for upgrading after check-in, would 3 of my family be upgraded?
There are unlikely to be any upgrades cleared except perhaps for GS before check-in. At check-in, your reservation will be split into 4 individual PNRs and perhaps any one or more may clear at the gate. If you do not want to be potential split up, you will need to remove your party from the upgrade waitlist.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
Cleared all 4 segments of my EWR > SIN weekend jaunt using GPUs. I was the very last person to clear the waiting list on both EWR > LAX and LAX > SIN (both at the airport), then cleared about 15 hours before for both legs of the return. Couldn't imagine doing it in Y, those are two very, very long flights.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:48 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Sitting on a Q reservation GRU-IAH-GRU - Departing on a Wednesday, returning Friday night, both currently waitlisted, P9 makes me believe GRU-IAH is good, but return = not so good:

GRU-IAH - J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0
IAH-GRU - J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by adr7090
Hi There,
I am scheduled to travel SIN-LAX January 7th and requested a MUA on a "U" class fare on the 7'th November as a Premier Platinum. I now SIN-SFO is insanely hard to get an upgrade although it's old Polaris compared to HKG-SFO which has the new classy polaris. As of today the available classes stands as below.
  • J9
  • JN5
  • C5
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q0
  • V0
  • W0
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0
The flight is a 787-9 with 48 business seats and are currently 25 available. Any information would be great otherwise I am planning to switch to SIN-HKG-SFO route as there are new polaris available for upgrade for the HKG-SFO route.
Thanks to all of you.
I'm thinking you have a better shot than not... as it stands right now I'm also on a Sunday SIN-LAX flight this weekend, and there are 18 seats still available.... the GS agent on the phone told me that every single upgrade certificate that is currently waitlisted will clear if no more seats sell. I fully expect my upgrade seat to clear within the next 48 hour, and if not, will call in to see if I can have it pushed.

My sense tells me that Jan 7 is too close to the holidays to be a real busy business travel day, and that you have a higher likelihood on this particular date vs. going a week later.... let the thread know how it turns out.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm thinking you have a better shot than not... as it stands right now I'm also on a Sunday SIN-LAX flight this weekend, and there are 18 seats still available.... the GS agent on the phone told me that every single upgrade certificate that is currently waitlisted will clear if no more seats sell. I fully expect my upgrade seat to clear within the next 48 hour, and if not, will call in to see if I can have it pushed.
1 - They're quite likely to sell additional seats in business class this week. Depending upon how many instruments are listed, I wouldn't be surprised if a few people failed to clear.
2 - You're GS. :-) Mere mortals don't get to call and get upgrades pushed through. ;-)

I'm not saying that it's impossible for a Platinum to clear on that route, but the fact that they are nearly full on the SFO flight on that day means that they're likely to sell some additional seats through LAX that they otherwise wouldn't have. Also, your flight is J9 C9 D9 Z2 P0, which means they're at least open to selling some discounted inventory.

As for the date -- leaving aside the large population of Singaporeans who don't hold any particular reverence for Christmas or Western New Year, even a US firm could well decide to have a big meeting the second week of January after people are back in the office.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of your upgrades. :-) but I'd be nervous about the January trip personally.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
very unlikely to see R space open up for holiday weekend p.s. flights... I would try to secure that GS RPU and immediately book it since PN is showing availability.
The PS flight is now PN4, so there is some hope for R. Regarding an international itinerary I'm only seeing the upgrade "price" for the whole thing instead of just the domestic segment. Am I correct in assuming that you have to call in if you want to just do the domestic segment?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler
I just looked through about 52 of the 79 pages in this thread trying to find the answer to my request so my apologies if it's been answered a hundred times. Wondering what are the odds of a GPU clearing on a W fare for a 1K, FRA - SFO flight Sunday April 8 and return is Sunday April 22 also on a W fare from SFO - FRA. I'm waitlisted, and expert mode is showing R0. Is it worth it to wait it out as there is so much time from now until April, or just call and try to find other alternatives? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Berlin_traveler
Wondering what are the odds of a GPU clearing on a W fare for a 1K, FRA - SFO flight Sunday April 8 and return is Sunday April 22 also on a W fare from SFO - FRA. I'm waitlisted, and expert mode is showing R0. Is it worth it to wait it out as there is so much time from now until April, or just call and try to find other alternatives? Thanks in advance!
Sorry, this far out, that's like asking whether the roulette wheel will land on black or red. It might clear and it might not.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
But for Sunday travel SFO/FRA I'd happily lay money against a GPU clearing.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
But for Sunday travel SFO/FRA I'd happily lay money against a GPU clearing.
+1 Fly that route several times a year and outbound from SFO to FRA I have never had one clear. Seems like a lot of suites and GS international business travelers head out on Sunday. Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Maybe change the flight to Monday or Tuesday. I have one booked SFO/FRA in January and it cleared already into PN. There is still R available though, on most Mondays/Tuesdays in the next few weeks.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Maybe change the flight to Monday or Tuesday. I have one booked SFO/FRA in January and it cleared already into PN. There is still R available though, on most Mondays/Tuesdays in the next few weeks.
December/January is not April.

Never pay a change fee for an upgrade unless you can confirm into R.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Never pay a change fee for an upgrade unless you can confirm into R.
Yes! Always! But, if there is R, you can change and clear.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:37 am

I am flying DFW -> LAX on a Wednesday in January. I have a GPU applied. United First is completely empty, with fare classes showing as F9 A9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R0 RN0 IN0 I0. According to the Premier Desk, I am number 3 on the Upgrade waitlist. Chances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.