Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:03 am

Well it's travel day and I used an MUA hoping Misses FreedMan would get upgraded SYD -> IAH. She does not have any status.
Here's where it sits:
Available fare classes:
J4
JN4
C4
D4
Z4
ZN4
P4
PN4
PZ3
IN0
I0
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
N9
XN9
X9
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MiltonFreedMan
Well it's travel day and I used an MUA hoping Misses FreedMan would get upgraded SYD -> IAH. She does not have any status.
Here's where it sits:
Available fare classes:
J4
JN4
C4
D4
Z4
ZN4
P4
PN4
PZ3
IN0
I0
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
N9
XN9
X9
At PZ3 I would call and ask them to clear the upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:10 am

Haven't done that before, can I call for her? She'll be in the air on the way to Syd shortly - is it easier for her to just check with the gate when she gets there?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't done that before, can I call for her? She'll be in the air on the way to Syd shortly - is it easier for her to just check with the gate when she gets there?
Best to call as soon as possible. You can call for her. There's no reason to expect it will still be PZ3 when she is at the gate.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dav3d
I have already requested the upgrade for the return as a Y fare. What will happen if I change my Itin to the ANZ flight? Will it keep my "Y" upgrade priority on the return or cancel it and use the new W fare bucket? How much lower chance would I have to upgrade with the W fare?
Changing the outbound segment like that will force a clean reissue of the ticket. Your waitlisted segment will disappear and you will probably need to re-apply the GPU. It will not keep the old priority. It's hard to say how much you will lose between Y and W; there are probably a good number of other 1Ks on W fares so it might be a good candidate for paying for V.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:22 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by Hollandair
another month further and now about 1,5 month before departure and the situation is this
  • J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P6 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0
  • I notice that P-fare and Z-fare were not available before and now at least 9 Z-fare and 6 P-fares are available.. meaning lower and cheaper business fares are getting available.
  • 5 seats out 30 of business are sold and I applied a GPU on a B-fare being Premier Gold.
What are your thoughts on opening upgrade space?
It changed again:
  • J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0
P went from 6 to ( at least) 9 now.. does this say anything about my changes, or is it a blank?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As sales continue to underperform expectations, they will continue to open inventory wider. Just have to be patient, and spread rumors why you don't want to be on this flight
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
As sales continue to underperform expectations, they will continue to open inventory wider. Just have to be patient, and spread rumors why you don't want to be on this flight
If on a Y/B fare on long haul int'l, does a GPU waitlist for PN space as a non-GS, or does it waitlist for PZ? Just curious since Y/B as a Premier Silver or higher looks at the PN bucket if my memory serves correctly.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
If on a Y/B fare on long haul int'l, does a GPU waitlist for PN space as a non-GS, or does it waitlist for PZ? Just curious since Y/B as a Premier Silver or higher looks at the PN bucket if my memory serves correctly.
PZ. The use of other buckets was only ever for CPU-eligible routes, and is now PN only for 1K on Y/B/M.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
PZ. The use of other buckets was only ever for CPU-eligible routes, and is now PN only for 1K on Y/B/M.
Does the PN also apply to long haul int'l with GPU for 1K booked in Y/B/M??
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Does the PN also apply to long haul int'l with GPU for 1K booked in Y/B/M??
No. At least, not as far as anyone knows. Most of this is inferred information anyway. There were some wacky results immediately after the R->PZ transition.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Best to call as soon as possible. You can call for her. There's no reason to expect it will still be PZ3 when she is at the gate.
Sorry you'll have to be more specific - who/what line do I call? I called reservations and they said "We can't do that over the phone, she has to check at the gate"
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:05 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
I dont have fare class "patience" available, I'll put you on a waitlist ;-)

thanks for your thoughts...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry you'll have to be more specific - who/what line do I call? I called reservations and they said "We can't do that over the phone, she has to check at the gate"
I'd suggest trying again. Do you have any Premier status? Call that line if so. But even if not, I'd suggest calling 1-800-421-4655 and just saying you / your wife has a waitlisted Mileage Upgrade Award, and space is available so you'd like to see if they can clear it. Admittedly by now (if I infer correctly that your wife is on UA100 in 4.5 hours), it's close enough to departure that it may be difficult.

Again, if I infer correctly, I think she should be safe to clear at the gate, however. From what I see, there are probably only non-rev flyers waiting for J class, so as long as she checks in on time she should make the cut.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I'd suggest trying again. Do you have any Premier status? Call that line if so. But even if not, I'd suggest calling 1-800-421-4655 and just saying you / your wife has a waitlisted Mileage Upgrade Award, and space is available so you'd like to see if they can clear it. Admittedly by now (if I infer correctly that your wife is on UA100 in 4.5 hours), it's close enough to departure that it may be difficult.

Again, if I infer correctly, I think she should be safe to clear at the gate, however. From what I see, there are probably only non-rev flyers waiting for J class, so as long as she checks in on time she should make the cut.
Yea I tried again and I think I got a much better agent this time - she knew right away what I was asking for. Guess it's one of those tricks you just have to figure out - but thank you for the help
Was able to confirm her over the phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.