Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deathbysegments
Yes - that would be helpful! Here's what we're looking at:

March 14-21 (Sat - Sun). We are originating in CHS but have options to fly United metal through EWR, IAD, IAH, DEN, ORD.

Thank you
Weekend upgrades can be very difficult to secure.

You have lots of time until your trip. Search regularly, and book if you see PZ space. Remember to check just the overwater leg (e.g., check LAX-NRT then SFO-NRT then.. etc.)
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tstauck
As a side note, United actually said "you're standing on the waitlist..." ?

Not to be picky on the grammar but it's "your standing.." Kind of surprised on that but it is United
hehe yep! That was copy-paste from the message they sent me no changes
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Are you sure of this? I mean you'd know more than me for sure but twice for situations like this I've found out the hard way that my bags won't/didn't get tagged through to my final destination and I've had to go back to the airport to grab my check-in bags, or they wouldn't issue BPs in my originating city for the second flight(not that that mattered because mobile BPs) and the like. I even called UA on this one and they said they have to let my bags out because I'm stopping over even though the connecting is fully during the day. Also in that case how come LAX-EWR and EWR-BOM won't process as a single PlusPoints transaction and processes as two separate upgrades whereas the return with a 9-hour layover (same family visit reason), one GS 30 PlusPoint application has waitlisted me all the way through back to SF? I'm genuinely curious for when I do this in the future. After all these years looks like I'm still learning more about my most traveled airline

Edit: I don't want to go too off topic from this thread so leave it at this, but definitely a learning point for me

here's that list in case you wanted to see, but I'm definitely agreeing with you and not taking it at face value. Just a potential starting point:
what's the priority again?

does a nonmember with a sponsored PlusPoints from GS get higher priority than a 1K using PlusPoints from his own account?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
does a nonmember with a sponsored PlusPoints from GS get higher priority than a 1K using PlusPoints from his own account?
Yes, because all GS instruments clear into PN. 1K instruments clear into PZ.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
what's the priority again?

If it's worth anything, my dad and I are gold and plat respectively, so if there's anyone with a GS upgrade and silver/no status, then probably they'd be below us I suppose. Praying no one with Plat + GS upgrades comes in to squeeze between my dad and I on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, because all GS instruments clear into PN. 1K instruments clear into PZ.
FWIW, they will clear below a GS pax using there own instruments. Depending on where you are flying out of this can be significant.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1K
Weekend upgrades can be very difficult to secure.

You have lots of time until your trip. Search regularly, and book if you see PZ space. Remember to check just the overwater leg (e.g., check LAX-NRT then SFO-NRT then.. etc.)
I'm guessing there is no real way to monitor PZ availability changes other than constant checking of the route in Expert?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
FWIW, they will clear below a GS pax using there own instruments. Depending on where you are flying out of this can be significant.
Yes, agreed. All passengers with GS instruments are ordered by status, and then all passengers with non-GS instruments are ordered by status.

Originally Posted by deathbysegments
I'm guessing there is no real way to monitor PZ availability changes other than constant checking of the route in Expert?
Correct, unfortunately.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:03 pm

jsloan For that UA upgrade list that they publish *officially* at T-48 for each flight, will it only show people upgraded T-48 and under, or will it also show anyone who cleared prior to T-48?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
jsloan For that UA upgrade list that they publish *officially* at T-48 for each flight, will it only show people upgraded T-48 and under, or will it also show anyone who cleared prior to T-48?
I suspect that people will continue to be removed from the waitlist if they clear prior to departure, so I doubt you will see any checkmarks.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:04 pm

I suspect that people will continue to be removed from the waitlist if they clear prior to departure, so I doubt you will see any checkmarks.
Ok gotcha so it's entirely possible that people cleared the waitlist before the official list becomes public at T-48. In that case they wouldn't show up on the "upgraded to Polaris Business" section if they cleared more than 48 hours out.

This whole waitlisting thing is a ride for me for sure. Any other flight where I've gotten upgraded has been on the Asia flights where there's basically no waitlist whenever I fly to PVG or NRT and a decent spread of domestic flights. On UA48 I've always been in economy so I never bothered with upgrades/tried to waitlist until now.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Silver, CLEAR, Marriott Titanium Elite
New FTer looking for some wisdom from the community: I'm planning to take my parents on an Southeast Asia + Japan trip for all of our first times and hoping to use some PlusPoints. We can be flexible on dates (likely departing 2/15-18 and returning around 3/12), origin (based in DTW but can re-position) and destination (NRT, HND, TPE, PEK and PVG all seem convenient enough); flying into and out of different cities is ok; I'm 1K. I checked various route combinations on both near-term dates and in February, but didn't see any PZ availability, which sounds like that's the norm based on the above convo. Does anyone have suggestions on which route would give us the best odds for an upgrade?

If upgrade chances are generally under 50%, I might just book economy tickets for 75k miles per head or cash on AC for under $600...Thanks in advance! Let me know if any more info is needed.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I currently am Waitlisted for Premium Plus EWR-CDG in late Jan, using 20,000 miles. If my upgrade clears on or close to departure, BUT there are only middle seats available in PP, will I be able to unrequest the upgrade and have the miles redeposited and and go back to an aisle seat in PE (assuming availability). HATE middle seats !
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mauld
I currently am Waitlisted for Premium Plus EWR-CDG in late Jan, using 20,000 miles. If my upgrade clears on or close to departure, BUT there are only middle seats available in PP, will I be able to unrequest the upgrade and have the miles redeposited and and go back to an aisle seat in PE (assuming availability). HATE middle seats !
This is uncertain. I assume you mean "back to an aisle seat in E+", not PE.

If you have not cleared yet, yes easy to cancel the request now. If you have cleared, you formerly required original fare class availability in Y and you could do this. I'm not sure if this option is still available since the Plus Points conversion. You may be charged a mileage redeposit fee for a voluntary change/cancel to the upgrade. Also, for what it's worth, I'm sure almost anyone would happily trade onboard - a middle seat in PE is still in a higher cabin and for most of us is much more desirable than any seat in Y.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shaman_x
New FTer looking for some wisdom from the community: I'm planning to take my parents on an Southeast Asia + Japan trip for all of our first times and hoping to use some PlusPoints. We can be flexible on dates (likely departing 2/15-18 and returning around 3/12), origin (based in DTW but can re-position) and destination (NRT, HND, TPE, PEK and PVG all seem convenient enough); flying into and out of different cities is ok; I'm 1K. I checked various route combinations on both near-term dates and in February, but didn't see any PZ availability, which sounds like that's the norm based on the above convo. Does anyone have suggestions on which route would give us the best odds for an upgrade?
There's no definition of "Southeast Asia" I've ever seen that would include PEK or PVG.

I'd add HKG, ICN, KIX, and SIN to your list, and I'd just keep looking, being sure to search only the overwater flight legs, and concentrate on weekdays. I suspect you'll be able to find something. How many PlusPoints do you have? Are you looking to use 40-point or 80-point awards? (Availability is the same, but the resulting strategy can be different). If you end up going to China, keep in mind that you will need a Chinese visa unless you meet the requirements of the Transit Without Visa program. Keep in mind that even if you don't intend to travel to, e.g., ICN, you can often book a fare through that city to wherever you actually want to go.

If you absolutely have to book the flights now and waitlist, rather than continue to search, I would book the flight with the most available seats and the highest number of PN seats, since (a) that means that there aren't likely any GS currently waitlisted and (b) UA opens PN before they open PZ. If you change the date on your phone / tablet, you can use the UA mobile app to check the flight status of future flights.

Originally Posted by findark
I'm not sure if this option is still available since the Plus Points conversion.
According to their program documentation, this is no longer possible. This is UA's response to people who would remove an RPU when it became obvious that a CPU would clear. UA is saying now that if an upgrade clears, it can't be removed. (Whether or not this is true in practice, who knows?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.