Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:28 pm

EWR-SFO on 11/26, UA 1141: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9

1K waitlisted for J on a PE fare (O). Flight looks open at the moment, hoping it stays this way for another week
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Or 1Ks who bought tickets before you.
But they are on a waitlist for PremPlus. Whereas I am already in PremPlus.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
12/8 I just saw a few random PZ seats open namely EWR-GVA (my plane) and EWR-MUC. EWR-GVA became PN3 PZ3 so I called UA agent to try and punch my upgrade through, but nope, #4 and #5 on the WL. Hopefully those get sent through and they open up PZ more. First time seeing PZ in December in that week in 2 months now. Also in a matter of a few min, just saw O5 A3 R0 became O7 A5 R2 and unless 2 people cancelled their tickets the same time, me thinks top 2 cleared and yet PN/PZ still 3. Phoning UA agent to see what it’s looking like.

Last edited by flyingrohit; Nov 22, 2021 at 2:56 am
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
12/8 I just saw a few random PZ seats open namely EWR-GVA (my plane) and EWR-MUC. EWR-GVA became PN3 PZ3 so I called UA agent to try and punch my upgrade through, but nope, #4 and #5 on the WL. Hopefully those get sent through and they open up PZ more. First time seeing PZ in December in that week in 2 months now. Also in a matter of a few min, just saw O5 A3 R0 became O7 A5 R2 and unless 2 people cancelled their tickets the same time, me thinks top 2 cleared and yet PN/PZ still 3. Phoning UA agent to see what it’s looking like.
Ask to cancel upgrade and reapply online to clear immediately. That’s what I did two weeks ago on a SFO to FRA. For some reason phone agents can’t push through. (In my case the agent cancelled my upgrade and reapplied over the phone again because I asked for them to, but reapplying online probaly would have yielded the same thing)
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by myperks
Ask to cancel upgrade and reapply online to clear immediately. That’s what I did two weeks ago on a SFO to FRA. For some reason phone agents can’t push through. (In my case the agent cancelled my upgrade and reapplied over the phone again because I asked for them to, but reapplying online probaly would have yielded the same thing)
thanks so much for the info, I’ll probably have to wait now as P9 PN3 PZ3 went to P6 PN0 PZ0 and 3 Polaris seats got taken (9L/F and 10L) and yet only 2 PP seats opened up and since my original booking was in R, that begs the question where did person #3 clear from?? Now it’s back up to P7 PN1 PZ1 so if we are truly next then hopefully they open another PZ slot soon. I’m assuming this means we are now #1 and #2 but can’t be sure. If I see PZ2 again and our upgrade waitlist hangs, I’ll definitely call in and see if they can do that. Thanks for that info. Great to finally see my first sights of December PZ after 2 months
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
thanks so much for the info, I’ll probably have to wait now as P9 PN3 PZ3 went to P6 PN0 PZ0 and 3 Polaris seats got taken (9L/F and 10L) and yet only 2 PP seats opened up and since my original booking was in R, that begs the question where did person #3 clear from??
Could've been a new ticket purchase: either a J fare outright, or bought Y/PE and confirmed directly into PZ at booking.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Supervisor approval has for several years been required to remove a pending instrument upgrade request. It's to stop people from doing exactly what you did.
Originally Posted by dkc192
Could've been a new ticket purchase: either a J fare outright, or bought Y/PE and confirmed directly into PZ at booking.
​​​​​​​Yes a P fare purchase would typically reduce PZ.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Supervisor approval has for several years been required to remove a pending instrument upgrade request. It's to stop people from doing exactly what you did.

Yes a P fare purchase would typically reduce PZ.
hmmm… that means I got supervisors on most of my calls on this? I think not. A few years ago, phone agents were allowed to push through an upgrade… that may have stopped. But one could always (in my experience) remove a pending upgrade request.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
hmmm… that means I got supervisors on most of my calls on this? I think not. A few years ago, phone agents were allowed to push through an upgrade… that may have stopped. But one could always (in my experience) remove a pending upgrade request.
The rule change on removal of upgrades has been referenced many times in this forum. If your agent didn't put you on hold for supervisor authorization before removing the upgrade, that was a violation of protocol.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:01 am

The rule change on removal of upgrades has been referenced many times in this forum. If your agent didn't put you on hold for supervisor authorization before removing the upgrade, that was a violation of protocol.
May have changed then (or was never a protocol followed) especially in the past two months, I did multiple upgrade cancellations to rearrange family’s PP to maximize usage. (Not all to reupgrade immediately to “bypass” waitlist).
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
May have changed then (or was never a protocol followed) especially in the past two months, I did multiple upgrade cancellations to rearrange family’s PP to maximize usage. (Not all to reupgrade immediately to “bypass” waitlist).
UA really needs to fix the problem so that people clear based on the published rules and not based on knowing how to cheat others out of their upgrades.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
When I have done this I did get the several minutes of silence and they removed the upgrade. My assumption always was they were getting "supervisor approval" although they may not verbalize that to you. FWIW, I don't remember ever getting turned down. Over the past year or two I have probably requested removal of an upgrade more that I ever have for a variety of reasons.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I’m assuming this means we are now #1 and #2 but can’t be sure.
Just took a peek, you are #1 and #2.

Last edited by gokeeper; Nov 22, 2021 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Just took a peek, you are #1 and #2.
thank you very much as always for your insight and WL info. And 5 hours later it’s still P7 PN1 PZ1 so wouldn’t even be able to phone agent to punch it through. Going to check regularly for PN/PZ2. Hopefully no one pushes us aside with new bookings + instant clearing or cancelling UG and re-requesting.

still trying to think where person #3 upgraded from unless they did what someone described above at the exact same time that 2 others from PP cleared.

EDIT: PZ2 opened again soon after, phoned UA one more time, this time punched the upgrade through manually and all is well

Last edited by flyingrohit; Nov 22, 2021 at 3:12 pm
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Upcoming flight. Finally able to see the upgrade list @ around T-54:

Hmm. Sitting @ 7. If I apply some PPs, I'll move up. Let's see what happens:

Wow. Moved up one spot. Impressive.

UA FT elite: Predictions on whether I'll clear?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.