Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by popoemt
Curious about an upcoming Denver to Haneda flight, is this a busy route and any idea on upgrade chances (either at the gate or at check-in with $)?
No such flight . . . do you mean DEN-NRT?

That's not an easy route in general but specifics depend on the particular flight. Odds can be zero one day and close to a sure thing the next.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
No such flight . . . do you mean DEN-NRT?

That's not an easy route in general but specifics depend on the particular flight. Odds can be zero one day and close to a sure thing the next.
Sorry, yes, meant NRT... I'm flying out on a Saturday, hoping thats not a big business flight time...^

*My flight back is MNL-HND

I knew Haneda was in there somewhere...
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Curious about an upcoming Denver to Haneda flight, is this a busy route and any idea on upgrade chances (either at the gate or at check-in with $)?
Sorry, yes, meant NRT... I'm flying out on a Saturday, hoping thats not a big business flight time...^
Mid week tends to be easier to u/g, but if you are hoping for a buyup at checkin or at gate (I assume to avoid adding miles to $$$).

Don't believe they do u/g at the gate like PMUA used to do, and I suspect there will be pax wanting to u/g with GPU as well as Miles and Ca$h, so you can hope for an offer.

IME flying on a Saturday does not increase your chances, as some business travelers like to rest on Sunday and get used to time change before doing business on Monday.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What do folks think of a 1K applying an RPU ~7 months out on an LAX-EWR p.s. flight that currently is showing 16J version (with no seats booked)? Would be for a Sunday late morning flight...my hunch is that it's pretty unlikely it would clear, but wanted to solicit opinions before tying up RPUs.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What do folks think of a 1K applying an RPU ~7 months out on an LAX-EWR p.s. flight that currently is showing 16J version (with no seats booked)? Would be for a Sunday late morning flight...my hunch is that it's pretty unlikely it would clear, but wanted to solicit opinions before tying up RPUs.
Unlikely, IMO. I would not risk it.

But I had just had two clients (Gold status) clear a Sat morning 16J seat p.s. flight on miles.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

But I had just had two clients (Gold status) clear a Sat morning 16J seat p.s. flight on miles.
I could see Saturday morning working out...my past experience has been that Sunday LAX-EWR flights, unless you are on the earliest one out of town, is probably not going to clear. Was just wondering if status (I should be 1K by the time of flying) and doing it way ahead of time would give me any benefit. I don't really recall the upgrade clearing list generally being that long for p.s. flights...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Personally I won't waitlist ps anywhere. I'll only book into open upgrade space or buy the P.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:16 pm

W-Class upgrade chances on the SFO-SIN route

Of course I understand that upgrade chances on any given flight would depend on the loading of the flight on that day; however, can anyone comment on the upgrade chances on the non-stop SFO-SIN-SFO flights from Coach (W) to Business?

If the chances are relatively slim, there would be no point at all in paying the extra money required for the W fare bucket.

PS. I'm a 1K if that makes any difference
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat
How firm are your travel dates and how much lead time do you have? Are you using miles or GPU? Usually the agents on the 1K line are extremely helpful with finding an upgrade seat if one is open (almost never) and it's much faster than UAs new website.

Otherwise it's a crapshoot, as a 1K I've had EWR>HKG (GPU) not clear when requested 2.5 months out and another time was op-upped SYD>SFO as a gold early in my career due to oversold economy.

The largest factor is going to be requesting early and hoping a seat gets released, or opting for a non direct route that can get confirmed immediately. Flights going through NRT usually have upgrade space. But you will then be most likely flying on ANA or Singapore Airlines going down to Changi and you may have to use more miles or GPUs for that segment to upgrade.

Originally Posted by TinDrum
Of course I understand that upgrade chances on any given flight would depend on the loading of the flight on that day; however, can anyone comment on the upgrade chances on the non-stop SFO-SIN-SFO flights from Coach (W) to Business?

If the chances are relatively slim, there would be no point at all in paying the extra money required for the W fare bucket.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 12, 2016 at 8:00 pm Reason: Changed cpu to op-upped for proper terminology as there are no cpu's on Int'l flights
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:14 pm

@AlwaysEnRoute: I have about 3-4 days leeway with my planned dates in mid-October, but that is entirely moot since the ticket has to be purchased before requesting an upgrade. I will be buying a ticket with $$ and not miles.

Once the tickets are purchased, I cannot change the dates without an absurd penalty - so the dates are firm, willy nilly.

Creative routing is also ruled out since I am ONLY interested in the non-stop SFO-SIN. If I had to fly via an intermediate point, I would rather fly SQ or some such, and not UA!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by TinDrum

You can find R space. I bought a W fare on SIN-SFO to try the nonstop last month, and R was available at booking which was like 2 weeks out. Sadly HKG-SIN cancelled as a result of ORD-HKG going mechanical so I never got to fly SIN-SFO.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Applied a GPU to a friend's V fare on MXP->EWR tomorrow morning. He is currently #3 on the BusinessFirst upgrade list, and the flight status page says "United BusinessFirst®: 40 | Booked: 38 | Checked In: 14". And Global First is booked full. Any hope for him to clear?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:18 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Have my fiance booked on ORD > SFO next Thursday on a V share. Applied a RPU at booking a few weeks ago and it went to the WL. Now the front of the bus is showing 10 empty seats and 7 "available" for a $444 buy-up. That is down from 9/$525 yesterday. When I saw 9/$525 a week out I thought she would be a near shoe-in. Not so much anymore.

Update as of 7/16: Buy-up moved to $411 with 6 available. Ugh.

Last edited by LIH; Jul 16, 2016 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
Applied a GPU to a friend's V fare on MXP->EWR tomorrow morning. He is currently #3 on the BusinessFirst upgrade list, and the flight status page says "United BusinessFirst®: 40 | Booked: 38 | Checked In: 14". And Global First is booked full. Any hope for him to clear?
Some chance. It's not uncommon to get last minute cancels (or no shows) on long-haul business class. One or two is almost the norm.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Some chance. It's not uncommon to get last minute cancels (or no shows) on long-haul business class. One or two is almost the norm.
Great. Thanks for weighing in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.