Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
They just offered me a $299 TOD. [vulgarity deleted per FT ToS]
For JFK-SFO i don't think thats a bad offer at all. I would buy that be guaranteed in business on a 6.5 hour flight anyday.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiUtah
For JFK-SFO i don't think thats a bad offer at all. I would buy that be guaranteed in business on a 6.5 hour flight anyday.
Going right along with the Jeff Smisek playbook and making upgrade instruments more and more valueless. He'd be proud to have you on his "Yes Men" management team!

So UA will make $299.00 on that TOD upgrade (and compared to the cost of buying C over Y on that route, it is a TOD upgrade), but how much will it lose by alienating its customers who fly enough to earn regional upgrades?

With UA's myopic view, they don't look at the other half of the equation. But you can look at its PRASM and see the answer. Penny wise; pound foolish. Welcome to the new United.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiUtah
Yes, that's the problem.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
No R on any of tomorrow's flights JFK-SFO. PN on several of them though. Upgrade the GS, screw the 1Ks.

A questionable move on UA's part, given the increasingly attractive competition on these routes from B6, VX, and AA.
way too early, as I posted up thread on my last few trips when I wanted to SDC I only was able to do it the morn of the flight. Guess the rev dept thinks they will sell 8+ seats over night. In the end I was able to SDC and into Biz but not the night before even thou it was past T-24 for both my tkted flight and the flight I wanted to get onto

Welcome to the new UA
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
What's your purchased fare bucket?
W. Roughly $1,800 diff between my fare and the P fare I could have booked at T-24. So they offer an UG for 1/6 the price.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Sorry UA-NYC. You know what this airline has become, yet you continue to fly them.

At some point, you have to personally accept the blame for choosing to continue flying United. This is what you get for that choice.

This airline simply will not give you an upgrade unless they are certain they cannot sell the seat, obtain a currency paid upgrade, or give it away for mileage (and hopefully at a standard award rate).
Yup. I do blame myself. Back to UA after two amazing AA trips. Been an epic fail so far. To be fair, I was using my last two RPUs. Last biz trip of the year on UA. Unreliable and poor. Just booked another $500 AA ticket for my next trip, and they will get all remaining ones this year.

Originally Posted by keisari
technically not TOD but HOD......
it sucks anyway
Yeah I know. After two straight MX flights plus the single worst meal I've had - just amazed at how bad it's gotten.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craz
Welcome to the new UA
This is really bad. Ability to confirm upgrades on ps with RPUs is one of the handful of perks binding me to UA.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This is really bad. Ability to confirm upgrades on ps with RPUs is one of the handful of perks binding me to UA.
Happy ending - woke up this morning (9 hours out) to see R2 (still J6). Just for fun, I re-OLCI'd...still a $299 UG offer. Called in, forced the UG, quick and easy, no push back ^ Of course, a for them just not running the damn UG list like they should be.

Poor schlub still waitlisted (was ahead of me). I don't feel totally guilty as it was R2 and we were the only two on the list. That's another GS or higher-fare 1K likely wondering what's going on.

Good job UA.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Happy ending - woke up this morning (9 hours out) to see R2 (still J6). Just for fun, I re-OLCI'd...still a $299 UG offer. Called in, forced the UG, quick and easy, no push back ^ Of course, a for them just not running the damn UG list like they should be.

Poor schlub still waitlisted (was ahead of me). I don't feel totally guilty as it was R2 and we were the only two on the list. That's another GS or higher-fare 1K likely wondering what's going on.

Good job UA.
Glad to hear you cleared.

What's interesting to me (apart from the extremely FF-unfriendly change to upgrade policies) is that they couldn't sell all those seats for $299.

They've cut the P fare on this route in half (to $2105 from over four grand) to compete with B6 and AA, and they still can't sell that cabin out.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

Good job UA.
Early Bird gets the.... UG.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Good job UA.
even though the ending was happy a major to this situation. that being said it's not any different than the $799 upgrades to J from K fares on INTL when folks are GPU waitlisted.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Good job UA.
Just as I said it would be if they have seats still empty.

Everyone should make a note of this, its UAs new way of handling the R bucket, they will open a couple of seats max far out and once they are taken most likley nothing will be put into the R bucket till the morning of the flight

Not sure if they will put anything into R for the morning flights out of JFK but for sure they wait now till the day of and not T-24 for late morning and flights after that. have no idea how they are playing the Sat or Sun flights wouldnt be surprised to learn its the same with them
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Not sure if they will put anything into R for the morning flights out of JFK
They are waiting until just a few hours prior to departure. I checked last night about 11 p.m. Pacific time and everything ex-JFK was still R0 (including the morning flight that was J6).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

They are waiting until just a few hours prior to departure. I checked last night about 11 p.m. Pacific time and everything ex-JFK was still R0 (including the morning flight that was J6).
those Idiots really expect someone to wake up at 5am and have to jump onto the 6am flight, yea its possible once in a blue moon someone will have to so hold back 1 seat but all of them. No wonder the ship is sinking . Guess they are hoping others will pony up the TODs

guess my late Aug flight will remain the 6am flight only 1 at the time with R>0. works out for the car rental timing but was hoping for a late morn- early afternoon flight
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Everyone should make a note of this, its UAs new way of handling the R bucket, they will open a couple of seats max far out and once they are taken most likley nothing will be put into the R bucket till the morning of the flight

Not sure if they will put anything into R for the morning flights out of JFK but for sure they wait now till the day of and not T-24 for late morning and flights after that. have no idea how they are playing the Sat or Sun flights wouldnt be surprised to learn its the same with them
I've seen it as you describe, but I've also had waitlisted UG clear days out.

re: Saturday, and maybe you are addressing ex-JFK only, but I'm currently waitlisted on Saturday Sep 6 LAX-JFK. All 4 flights on Sep 6 are showing J9 R0. In the old days, a Saturday waitlist would usually clear within 3 days of booking. Now... who knows?

For past 4 years, I take family of 4 to NYC to visit grandparents in July. Up until this year, we traveled Saturday-Saturday as the UGs were easy. This year, we did Tuesday-Tuesday as the return had R4+ when I booked the tix, and the outbound was R1. The other 3 UGs cleared one at a time on different dates. Both Saturdays showed R0.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
As a purchaser of economy class tickets, UNITED still represents (for me) the best option to upgrade into a premium cabin on this route. Yeah times have changed and upgrades process later, but I don't get RPU equivalent on other carriers and their Y is not better than BF. From a pure comfort standpoint BF->Y and I pay for Y. After 40-50 ps flights over the years I still have not sat in my purchased cabin. Say what you will, but that means something to me.

If I was paying for BF, my analysis would be entirely different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.