FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1534110-p-s-premium-service-lax-sfo-jfk-flights-ua-questions-experience-2014-a.html)

anc-ord772 Dec 24, 2013 1:27 pm

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

I've been looking and booking for 2014, so it seems with seven days left in 2013, now is a good time to start discussing p.s. in the new year.

I'm securing flights for May and June and see loads of R availability. If you can plan in advance, R is plentiful.

Kacee Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm

I've been waitlisted in I for the April 17 redeye (UA824) since November 1. Seatmap still shows zero seats assigned. J9 P8 R0 I0. So we are now four months out, and UA has (apparently) not released a single business saver award seat on this flight.

anc-ord772 Dec 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22022075)
I've been waitlisted in I for the April 17 redeye (UA824) since November 1. Seatmap still shows zero seats assigned. J9 P8 R0 I0. So we are now four months out, and UA has (apparently) not released a single business saver award seat on this flight.

Easter.

Maybe a wait and see approach.

Kacee Dec 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 22022156)
Easter.

Maybe a wait and see approach.

Yeah I'm confirmed on the late afternoon ps flight, connecting to BOS on AA the following morning for the marathon. Worst case scenario, if the waitlist doesn't clear, I'll overnight at one of the airport hotels. (This is part of a larger post-Massacre mileage burn, 100k miles for SFO-IST, with the east coast stopover to run the marathon.)

craz Dec 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 22021977)
I've been looking and booking for 2014, so it seems with seven days left in 2013, now is a good time to start discussing p.s. in the new year.

I'm securing flights for May and June and see loads of R availability. If you can plan in advance, R is plentiful.

I booked several months ago for a Jan and Feb trip and on both the SFO-JFK flights are still WL with at tops 1/3 of the seats taken (both trips are connections @ SFO) On my outbounds 1 had all the seats available and R=1 then R=0 and hasnt changed since then

I believe certain flights they open earlier then others with R>1, others R=0 the whole time while others R=1

anc-ord772 Dec 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 22022278)
I booked several months ago for a Jan and Feb trip and on both the SFO-JFK flights are still WL with at tops 1/3 of the seats taken (both trips are connections @ SFO) On my outbounds 1 had all the seats available and R=1 then R=0 and hasnt changed since then

I believe certain flights they open earlier then others with R>1, others R=0 the whole time while others R=1

Fair enough. I should be clear that I am looking at LAX <-> JFK.

footastic Dec 24, 2013 4:25 pm

i just used 2 RPUs on each SFO->JFK PS in march (R7 before my RPU's)

and

on LAX - > JFK PS in April (R3)

See alot of R on PS routes early next year too :)

Baze Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Reading this article in USA Today about what American is doing with their new A321's for NY to West Coast flights, UA has some catching up to do again.

PV_Premier Dec 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 22022718)
Reading this article in USA Today about what American is doing with their new A321's for NY to West Coast flights, UA has some catching up to do again.

they look great, especially in F. i was just thinking about this article as my jaw dropped this morning at UA's pricing of P fares on ps routes.

i'm also quite curious about how the B6 planes will be. all the pictures i've seen, they look good as well.

chasgoose Jan 3, 2014 12:20 pm

Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF? I know they are preferred for the bigger footwells, but aside from that has anyone who has sat in both noticed any other differences? Is there a service difference being in the smaller rear cabin vs. the larger front cabin? All I can think of is that at JFK the planes board/deplane from Door 1 and LAX/SFO board/deplane from Door 2 so if going to JFK row 1 might be preferable and vice versa for LAX/SFO. Anything else?

aacharya Jan 3, 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by chasgoose (Post 22076678)
Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF? I know they are preferred for the bigger footwells, but aside from that has anyone who has sat in both noticed any other differences? Is there a service difference being in the smaller rear cabin vs. the larger front cabin? All I can think of is that at JFK the planes board/deplane from Door 1 and LAX/SFO board/deplane from Door 2 so if going to JFK row 1 might be preferable and vice versa for LAX/SFO. Anything else?

I'm taking 5E to SFO this coming Tuesday and can report back, but your query best belongs in the seat thread, not this one.

Kacee Jan 3, 2014 12:31 pm

The front cabin is preferred. There is a ton of lav traffic from Y in the rear cabin.

zoegksf Jan 3, 2014 1:04 pm

I haven't flown in 1EF but have in 5ABEF. I prefer the back cabin as there are 2 FA's for each, front and back. Further it seems to me that 5AB are slightly longer than 5EF. I usually do 5B SFO-JFK as the noise and light aren't as much as a concern to me and 5E JFK-SFO

nycityny Jan 3, 2014 1:32 pm

I've sat in 1E, 1B, 5A and 5E. 5E is my least favorite of those as you stare directly at one of the flight attendants when he/she is seated for takeoff. It seems less private. In 5A I could not see over the barrier between the flight attendants and my seat so did not have that problem. From 5E you can see the flight attendants from an angle.

1E is a good seat for privacy, you are close to the front door and restroom and you get served among the first in that cabin. 1B obviously gets too much light from the galley.

FlyinHawaiian Jan 3, 2014 7:16 pm

Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF?

Based on my experience, 1EF is about 1" shorter (fully extended in bed mode) than 5EF.