Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
Thanks, guys! It's the Sunday, August 3rd redeye on a W fare.

I've noticed ExpertFlyer can't reveal upgrade availability, so that's a bummer.
Originally Posted by Kacee
The red-eyes can be difficult upgrades. That one's only booked 3/28 though, so there's some hope.
i think that trying to estimate the probability of PS upgrades at this point is quite difficult since they (RM) really seem to be managing the P bucket fastidiously on these flights to sell as many seats as possible. i've been watching a flight for August where i have 1/2 RPUs cleared so far and P bucket is coming and going almost daily, and almost every time it comes back, another seat sells. not looking all that promising for the non-upgraded passenger in our party (here's a hint -- it's not my wife) right now. i was debating about buying up to P myself, but the difference between what i paid and the P is too high to justify. i'd more likely throw her on UA and then hop on the B6 departure that leaves at the same time and pay $599 for the J seat and meet up in LAX.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:44 pm

I have found upgrades on SFO-JFK to be hit or miss. Sometimes I can get an upgrade immediately at booking, other times it clears days before, sometimes the day of, and sometimes it never clears. (UA Gold Member) Early morning flights seem to be easier to get than afternoon flights, and red-eyes seem near impossible.

I recently requested an upgrade on a JFK-LAX flight (only 17,500 miles!) a month out, and my upgrade cleared after about a week (about 3 weeks before my flight). Never got an email, just noticed in my reservations when I checking to see how many seats empty. Mid-afternoon flight on Friday, so I was a bit surprised!

I find it completely worth the 17,500-20,000 miles for these 6ish hour flights. I usually work on flights, so I generally don't sleep. But being able to raise the footrest independently is amazing. It makes me feel like I am sitting in bed on my laptop. There is also plenty of space for me to have out a few sets of papers, too.

I wish all first class seats had this footrest option. While I generally try to fly first when it makes sense based on cost/miles, E+ already gives me the space I need-I am small-framed and so short that my feet don't even reach the floor in E+ unless I slouch a lot. I end up taking my shoes off and putting my carry on under my feet as a footrest in E+ or in first (for those who are not vertically challenged, it is not comfortable when your legs dangle). I'd be more motivated to pay for an upgrade to first if I could put my feet up on a footrest in non-p.s. flights.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
FYI if anyone is on the 6pm JFK-LAX tonight (7/10) it's been subbed with a 757-300 and flight number changed to UA2061. strangely, it's F9, there are tons of empty seats in Y (predictably), and they are selling F for almost $10,000 one way.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I may be a bit behind the time but how long as PS Business been showing up in the system as BF? Pretty sure last month it was Business, not BF.

Also wonder if PS connecting flights will get the BF protection of return of upgrade instrument / miles if the BF segment does not clear?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Had an amazing crew today LAX-JFK on UA223. Purser was funny and friendly and the FAs were in good spirits, professional and courteous.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Continental
That's nice!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

That pilot is really nice. The kindness really goes a long way!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I was surprised by the card but it really topped off what was a great crew/flight.
The purser also came to each pax and thanked us for our "business" which was what they did on our EWR-HKG flight but for me the world "business" seems so cold or impersonal. Something more natural that each FA could come up with like "thank you for flying with us" wouldn't seem so contrived.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Any thoughts on row 21? Seat guru has it green but says the seat cushions are half the depth as non-exit row seats and that it can get quite cold next to the window.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K

I was perfectly comfortable in 21B, and 21A was indeed a bit colder and had a cut off armrest due to the exit door. I'm fine in non-exit economy plus, so the extra legroom didn't make a difference to me, but for people who need legroom above all else this is the best row on the plane.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I may be a bit behind the time but how long as PS Business been showing up in the system as BF? Pretty sure last month it was Business, not BF.

Also wonder if PS connecting flights will get the BF protection of return of upgrade instrument / miles if the BF segment does not clear?
I recently noticed this as well. I'm assuming they're attempting to align nomenclature with seat type, which is about the only excuse I can think of for sticking with the insanely confusing naming system. I don't think it should affect the rules for partially-cleared itins. The fact that ps is the only non-CPU CONUS flight may change that fact though.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Hey, Jeff! WAKE UP!

First class.

Business class.

Economy class.

Got it?

Get rid of the stupid branding.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K | GHA Black
Does anyone know if they still serve ice cream sundaes in BusinessFirst on the late JFK-LAX flight that has recently turned into a snack-only flight?

Never cared much about the meal, but I did like the sundaes...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My PS flight is within 72 hours, 9s across the board (including P/PN), 13 open seats on the map...and no R space. GMAB
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum

I was on UA445 (the 8:29pm departure JFK-LAX) on Monday 7/14. I can happily report that this "snack" service included the sundae cart 😎

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.