Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Yeah times have changed and upgrades process later, but I don't get RPU equivalent on other carriers and their Y is not better than BF.
DL's upgrade policies on this route are still worse than UA's.

But a status match to AA, with comp upgrades for EXP's, looks better all the time.

Or just ditch the game and fly VX/B6 on this route. That's increasingly looking like a viable option to me, particularly with the 3/15/15 changes ahead.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee

But a status match to AA, with comp upgrades for EXP's, looks better all the time.

Or just ditch the game and fly VX/B6 on this route. That's increasingly looking like a viable option to me, particularly with the 3/15/15 changes ahead.
If I was flying in the back of the bus then Id go with whomever I can get E+ with for $0. B6 I think allows 1 free bag UA and AA will give me a min of 2. I would let price decide for me and wait and see if AA joins DL & UA in the devaluation of the earned RDMs, if AA leaves RDMs alone then AA will get the $

Maintaining EVP on AA is very hard for me as their Intl network isnt what UAs is at least at present. Having to fly on a BA flight and paying all their surcharges as well as the UKs defeats the purpose and makes it not worthwhile for me, although Germany+ is fast approaching the UK

Originally Posted by Phil Level
I've seen it as you describe, but I've also had waitlisted UG clear days out.

re: Saturday, and maybe you are addressing ex-JFK only, but I'm currently waitlisted on Saturday Sep 6 LAX-JFK. All 4 flights on Sep 6 are showing J9 R0. In the old days, a Saturday waitlist would usually clear within 3 days of booking. Now... who knows?

For past 4 years, I take family of 4 to NYC to visit grandparents in July. Up until this year, we traveled Saturday-Saturday as the UGs were easy. This year, we did Tuesday-Tuesday as the return had R4+ when I booked the tix, and the outbound was R1. The other 3 UGs cleared one at a time on different dates. Both Saturdays showed R0.
I said up thread that Ive gotten my share of my RPUs clearing before the 1K window was ever in sight. But in the last 6 months Ive found if I didnt clear at the time of booking, then it was the morning of

The gauge to use is what occured in the past 6 months when it seems they implemented the changes, rather then what was the case before that

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:21 am Reason: Merge
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1K | GHA Black
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
I was on UA445 (the 8:29pm departure JFK-LAX) on Monday 7/14. I can happily report that this "snack" service included the sundae cart 😎
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver

VX/B6 don't get me in the flat seats for free. Until I run out of upgrade instruments, choosing to sit in Y doesn't make sense for me. Plus if upgrade to BF on UNITED it's only $299, it's still cheaper than VX/B6.

Not sure why take comp close in upgrades on AA over confirmed in advance upgrades on UNITED. So the food is better in AA business, but that alone would not make me switch. Also I would start at Plat with some kind of challenge (and no comp upgrades) and then work my way up to EXP? I'm good.

My calculus will change next year as I will lose 1K, but for the past 7 years the ps upgrade system worked fine. It should continue to do so, especially if UNITED can't get takers for paid upgrades.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craz
The gauge to use is what occured in the past 6 months when it seems they implemented the changes, rather then what was the case before that
But UA has within the past few weeks changed its upgrade policies on this route much for the worse. They are no longer releasing R until a few hours prior to departure, even when BF is wide open. This is a huge negative change. Not only for the inability to confirm R the day prior to departure, but to confirm through an SDC. Moreover, it increases UA's ability to sell those seats out from under waitlisted elites, rendering the RPUs it is currently handing out like candy less and less valuable.

This definitely changes the UA value proposition for me.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

But UA has within the past few weeks changed its upgrade policies on this route much for the worse. They are no longer releasing R until a few hours prior to departure, even when BF is wide open. This is a huge negative change. Not only for the inability to confirm R the day prior to departure, but to confirm through an SDC. Moreover, it increases UA's ability to sell those seats out from under waitlisted elites, rendering the RPUs it is currently handing out like candy less and less valuable.

This definitely changes the UA value proposition for me.
it changed alot more then a few weeks ago. My only question is when will they follow DL and make it almost impossible to UP on a ps flight, could be since their product is now so inferior they will leave everything as is in place and simply do a sthey are basically only very last min UPs with anything but TODing
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:56 am

it changed alot more then a few weeks ago. My only question is when will they follow DL and make it almost impossible to UP on a ps flight, could be since their product is now so inferior they will leave everything as is in place and simply do a sthey are basically only very last min UPs with anything but TODing
They've been moving in this direction, but the change to zero R on any flight is quite recent. My last ps flight was mid-April and it was very very easy to find R at T-24.

Also fitting that they've eliminated the R releases without fixing the basic and well-known IT flaw so that even when R finally opens at T-3 (or whatever) the list still does not process.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:09 am
Suspended

They've been moving in this direction, but the change to zero R on any flight is quite recent. My last ps flight was mid-April and it was very very easy to find R at T-24.

Also fitting that they've eliminated the R releases without fixing the basic and well-known IT flaw so that even when R finally opens at T-3 (or whatever) the list still does not process.
I found R=0 in alot of routings. Seems if they allow any R at all its 1 or 2 seats then they shut it down till they are convinced they cant sell any or get anyone to pony up for a TOD. Ive found months out (for months already) where the seat map shows no F was taken and yep R=0

For the price Im paying its still workable, since it wont happen on anyone else , but I wont blow my miles to UP and once flying in E+ theres no reason to make it only UA and '14 will be my last year as a 1K and '15 probably as a Plat, so I will be a Gold due to being a 1MM = no RPUs

If theres 1 thing I wont do its to be drawn in and play COs games in order to be a top Elite. Heck with that Id rather keep the $$ in my pocket then Jeffs. So up till 3/1/15 UA will get my few $s, if I get close enough to 75K then I will continue with them till I hit it but seeing as they arent Reliable any longer due to the massive # of MXs Ive run into rolling delays till they finally CX the flight or it does go out 6 hrs late is not a company that I should be loyal to
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
For the price Im paying its still workable, since it wont happen on anyone else , but I wont blow my miles to UP and once flying in E+ theres no reason to make it only UA and '14 will be my last year as a 1K so I will be a Gold due to being a 1MM = no RPUs
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
As a purchaser of economy class tickets, UNITED still represents (for me) the best option to upgrade into a premium cabin on this route. Yeah times have changed and upgrades process later, but I don't get RPU equivalent on other carriers and their Y is not better than BF. From a pure comfort standpoint BF->Y and I pay for Y. After 40-50 ps flights over the years I still have not sat in my purchased cabin. Say what you will, but that means something to me.

If I was paying for BF, my analysis would be entirely different.
This too is my feeling. I stay with United because I primarily fly JFK-LAX and United offers the best upgrade opportunities. DL won't let me use miles at deep discounted fares and I use miles most of the time.

I haven't missed an upgrade in years - I cannot remember the last time. And I fly the route roundtrip every 4-6 weeks. I do often purchase tickets with R availability at booking so that helps.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nycityny
This too is my feeling. I stay with United because I primarily fly JFK-LAX and United offers the best upgrade opportunities. DL won't let me use miles at deep discounted fares and I use miles most of the time.

I haven't missed an upgrade in years - I cannot remember the last time. And I fly the route roundtrip every 4-6 weeks. I do often purchase tickets with R availability at booking so that helps.
I hear you and Im loaded with Miles but still wont use them to UP even on the long ps flights , since for alittle bit more I can have a Saver Y to Europe and save even more $$
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Booked on JAN26 for I (Saver Business) LAX-JFK SEP21 1-way, Premier Silver, it has yet to clear waitlist & apparently never will as there's no Saver Business for any PS on any date set on united.com. Misfortune for me but pure profit for UA, sigh.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Booked on JAN26 for I (Saver Business) LAX-JFK SEP21 1-way, Premier Silver, it has yet to clear waitlist & apparently never will as there's no Saver Business for any PS on any date set on united.com. Misfortune for me but pure profit for UA, sigh.
Too early to decide that. It might still clear in September.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs down United Airlines sucks

... Maybe a wait and see approach.
I believe UA removed all saver for all ps flights per experience.
I've been waitlisted ... UA has (apparently) not released a single business saver award seat on this flight.
... they also stopped anybody from using 25K in UA miles to get those flights as well ... no Saver awards of any type, using UA miles and logged in as a 1K ...
... They will send those aircraft out with empty J seats without ever having opened I/IN.
To quote myself in another less related thread, I confirm all the above:
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
So when does United offer the $299 upgrades? Are these offers for everyone or just lower level elites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.