Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Report - UG's cleared about 3 weeks out.

My September LAX-JFK red-eye went R7. No email or other notice, just my morning routine of checking for R inventory. Had been waitlisted over 1 month. Called in to get upgrade to clear and seat assigned. I was the first, but apparently not the only one, as per seatmap 5 seats got taken that day. Now the flight is back to J9 R0. Seatmap still shows over 50% of J cabin open.
Similar experience for me on a PS flight for November 8th-No email* or any other notification but knowing how we all love how things work I check my itins multiple times per day and while it still showed waitlisted at around 08:00, at around 13:00, I had the "a modification has been made to your itinerary" message and the reservation showed "upgrade confirmed" . (and I had to call in to get the ticket re-synced as I was unable to select seats)

*the "upgrade confimred" email promptly arrived late the next day
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Report - UG's cleared about 3 weeks out.

My September LAX-JFK red-eye went R7. No email or other notice, just my morning routine of checking for R inventory. Had been waitlisted over 1 month. Called in to get upgrade to clear and seat assigned. I was the first, but apparently not the only one, as per seatmap 5 seats got taken that day. Now the flight is back to J9 R0. Seatmap still shows over 50% of J cabin open.
Thank you for the intel. I have a mid-September trip on p.s. and I'm waitlisted for an upgrade. I was just wondering if it's been worth my time checking for R inventory daily. I'll keep it up.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by MattR23
Thank you for the intel. I have a mid-September trip on p.s. and I'm waitlisted for an upgrade. I was just wondering if it's been worth my time checking for R inventory daily. I'll keep it up.
It is quite important to monitor p.s. R inventory daily. The upgrade system currently functioning allows for upgrades to be cleared inconsistently and out of order. Often R>0 just prior to check-in or shortly after and I have seen folks that are unaware of the process remain at #1 and take their seat in coach.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
It is quite important to monitor p.s. R inventory daily. The upgrade system currently functioning allows for upgrades to be cleared inconsistently and out of order. Often R>0 just prior to check-in or shortly after and I have seen folks that are unaware of the process remain at #1 and take their seat in coach.
While things to go awry after T-24, I think waitlisting was worked as promised prior to that. After watching if R opened up and waitlisted did not clear for a many cases (well above 10), I'm OK not hovering until T-24. In reality I cleared and never received an EF notice (when it worked or so positive inventory and not cleared). Hover if you wish, but I think it is unneeded until T-24. BTW, I'm still 100% fr this year and last year on clearing. Don't remember anyone reporting a pre T-24 issue for PS.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I understand. I just wasn't sure how good the chances that R space would open AND that I would catch it during my twice-daily checks. If the chances are very slim, I'd rather not waste my time.

I'm only Gold and haven't cleared upgrades on international routes (despite watching R like a hawk). I'm glad to hear that there's a good chance that I might catch R space opening up on the p.s. route.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
How easy is it to upgrade using miles on these flights? And it's 20K miles + $250 for non-elites, for lowest fare Y? How far in advance can you do this?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
How easy is it to upgrade using miles on these flights? And it's 20K miles + $250 for non-elites, for lowest fare Y? How far in advance can you do this?
I almost always upgrade with miles and am always successful (I can't remember the last time I didn't get the upgrade).

You can do it any time. If there is availability at the time of ticket purchase you can buy the upgrade with the ticket. Or you can apply for an upgrade any time after purchasing.

To purchase the upgrade with the ticket you should click the box that says "MileagePlus Upgrade Award" at the bottom of the advanced reservations screen. If an upgrade is available for a flight it will tell you how many miles it will cost and what the copay is. If it is not available you can buy the ticket in economy and apply for the upgrade after the reservation is ticketed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
That's an expensive upgrade. I think I'd just look for one of those $1240 P fares.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by goalie
Similar experience for me on a PS flight for November 8th-No email* or any other notification but knowing how we all love how things work I check my itins multiple times per day and while it still showed waitlisted at around 08:00, at around 13:00, I had the "a modification has been made to your itinerary" message and the reservation showed "upgrade confirmed" . (and I had to call in to get the ticket re-synced as I was unable to select seats)

*the "upgrade confimred" email promptly arrived late the next day
That lovely red message... lol. Indicates the system was partially working that day. In this instance, I did not have the red "re-issue" message, and never got the follow up email.

For me, it's definitely worth checking each morning as I do have a strong preference for an aisle seat in row 1 (first choice) or row 5 (second), so I can almost stretch my legs fully, esp on the red-eye.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
On my upcoming ps flight 4f, 5f, 6f, 5a and then all of row 7 are open. Front cabin right now pretty booked. I reserved 5F. Anyone have any opinions on best seat? I don't want to get downgraded for an air Marshall so i am happy its mostly window seats that are open.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdlman
On my upcoming ps flight 4f, 5f, 6f, 5a and then all of row 7 are open. Front cabin right now pretty booked. I reserved 5F. Anyone have any opinions on best seat? I don't want to get downgraded for an air Marshall so i am happy its mostly window seats that are open.
5F, for the bigger bulkhead, and that it's more private than 5A (not staring into the galley / front cabin)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Continental
Just sat in 5E on Tuesday. 5E/5F are like the 6C/D on the old 3 class planes.
Best seats in the rear BF cabin.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Last week I flew the sCO 752 in 1E and the p.s. config in 1F, and I was very happy with the hard product on both. p.s. gets the edge due to having a much slicker IFE interface, one that also allows you to pause and return to the same spot in a program.

The short propaganda vids about United's food and wine programs were laughable, though. Does Doug Frost have any idea what's actually being poured in his name these days?

Finally, I know it's petty and unremarkable to nearly everyone outside of FT (as well as not being a new development), but I remain disappointed to have had another p.s. flight with no mention of the p.s. branding, either visual or verbal. The logo's not on the BPs, it's not displayed at the gate, it's not painted on the planes anymore, it's not printed on menus or napkins anymore, and it's not splashed at the beginning of the safety video anymore. Would it bother the GAs or pursers so much to at least give one throwaway shoutout to p.s.? Why is UA doing everything it can to neglect the brand equity with this service?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Finally, I know it's petty and unremarkable to nearly everyone outside of FT (as well as not being a new development), but I remain disappointed to have had another p.s. flight with no mention of the p.s. branding, either visual or verbal. The logo's not on the BPs, it's not displayed at the gate, it's not painted on the planes anymore, it's not printed on menus or napkins anymore, and it's not splashed at the beginning of the safety video anymore. Would it bother the GAs or pursers so much to at least give one throwaway shoutout to p.s.? Why is UA doing everything it can to neglect the brand equity with this service?
I agree. I was on a p.s. flight earlier this year and a passenger boarded, looked at the BusinessFirst cabin and asked the flight attendant, "Are we going to San Francisco?" The FA affirmed, to which the passenger replied, "Oh, because this looks like an international flight," referring to the seats. The FA didn't really bother to explain.

Perhaps with JetBlue starting to tout their Mint service (which I'm interested in trying when the SFO-JFK route starts in October), United will be pushing this a little more. I think a small p.s. logo for those flights in the United.com flight search and reservation pages would go a long way.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum

Oh, the p.s. logo on flight results on the old .bomb totally used to be a thing. Had forgotten about that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.