Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdlman
From your experiences how do they take meal orders on P.S.?
My experience is that if you don't choose the pasta you're probably going to get your first choice regardless of where you sit. I am not GS or 1K and like to sit in 4E. I always get my first choice. I fly ps flights at least a dozen times a year and cannot remember not getting my first choice.

The only food disadvantage I experienced from being in the back of the cabin is that the flight attendant never finished passing out the bread selection. They offer the bread in increments as the trays are being passed out. After row 2 they never bothered to finish rows 3 and 4 since they got so "busy." Frankly I wish they wouldn't rush through the whole cocktail, appetizer, main dish mad dash since we have 5-6 hours to kill anyway and a leisurely meal would be nice.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycityny
.... Frankly I wish they wouldn't rush through the whole cocktail, appetizer, main dish mad dash since we have 5-6 hours to kill anyway and a leisurely meal would be nice.
IME, most would not like that -- many want to get some sleep or some time with their laptops / tablets.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The only food disadvantage I experienced from being in the back of the cabin is that the flight attendant never finished passing out the bread selection. They offer the bread in increments as the trays are being passed out. After row 2 they never bothered to finish rows 3 and 4 since they got so "busy."
Just ask them for (more) bread. I make it clear that I'll always be down for the garlic bread and keep it coming if there are leftovers. I've had consistently positive results.

Frankly I wish they wouldn't rush through the whole cocktail, appetizer, main dish mad dash since we have 5-6 hours to kill anyway and a leisurely meal would be nice.
Have you asked them to slow your service down? They may be able to accommodate your request, by serving folks behind you first between courses.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
... Have you asked them to slow your service down? They may be able to accommodate your request, by serving folks behind you first between courses.
good point -- a recent seatmate got meal service in the second half of the flight instead at the normal time.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Yah if you want to slow down your p.s. service I don't think that is a problem at all. My last 3-4 have been really great crews, I would keep a little on my plate and I was never rushed or hurried to take it away. Even when I skipped the sundae and asked if I could just have a piece of Toblerone it was brought back to me on a plate with a napkin and two pieces of the chocolate.
The p.s. crews seem to be pretty engaged with pax and tell them how you like it and you should get what you want.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:10 am

It is amusing to me the various suggestions about slowing down meal service or asking for bread when it isn't offered. I generally just like to go with the flow and don't want special treatment. I know they'll do it but I wouldn't feel comfortable asking. Just a personality trait with me.

The only thing I do request when they don't offer it is a refill on the beverage - be it alcohol or water. Yes, I probably should have asked for bread when they neglected to offer it to the whole cabin, but whatever.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

It is amusing to me the various suggestions about slowing down meal service or asking for bread when it isn't offered. I generally just like to go with the flow and don't want special treatment. I know they'll do it but I wouldn't feel comfortable asking. Just a personality trait with me.
If someone forgets something you feel weird asking?
If something isn't customized to your taste (speed), you feel weird asking?

I don't get it, especially the speed of the meal service which is subjective. There is no way the cabin crew can anticipate your preferred dining experience.

If you feel it's weird to ask for what you want I can see why the suggestions up thread won't work for you.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

The only thing I do request when they don't offer it is a refill on the beverage - be it alcohol or water. Yes, I probably should have asked for bread when they neglected to offer it to the whole cabin, but whatever.
Eating a meal at a relaxed pace during a 5 to 6 hour flight isn't special treatment, nor is asking for a provided service item that they forgot. Asking for off-menu items or concoctions is special treatment.

When an airline advertises "Our p.s.® Premium Service flights offer an international product for an exceptional transcontinental travel experience between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)." asking for bread from the basket they forgot to bring to your aisle isn't an unreasonable request.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

When an airline advertises "Our p.s.® Premium Service flights offer an international product for an exceptional transcontinental travel experience between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)." asking for bread from the basket they forgot to bring to your aisle isn't an unreasonable request.
...unless you're a United flight attendant.

OK, OK everybody, I get your points.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's quite unusual IME to run into that attitude on a ps flight. These are some of the best sUA flight attendants in the system.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

OK, OK everybody, I get your points.
Well, unless they exceptionally forgot your bread, on purpose!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's quite unusual IME to run into that attitude on a ps flight. These are some of the best sUA flight attendants in the system.
I ran into a foul crew about a year or so ago. I've had an indifferent but perfectly pleasant crew here or there, but overwhelmingly they are top notch.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Aug 18, 2014 at 9:53 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, MR Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I ran into a fowl crew about a year or so ago. I've had an indifferent but perfectly pleasant crew here or there, but overwhelmingly they are top notch.
Isn't running into fowl very dangerous for an aircraft?

---

I had my first p.s. experience a few weekends ago. It was nice. LAX-JFK.

Seats 1F and 1E worked well for me. I think 1F had slightly more legroom. Either way, I'm 6' and couldn't stretch out completely. Still managed to sleep. I concur with others' assessments - window is cozier, but you may need to climb over others; aisle seat may involve non-coordinated people slowly climbing over you.

Food was fine. Wine was fine. Pretty good movie selection, although I couldn't get my Bose headphones to work quite right on the 1F port, but worked well on the return flight (I had to fidget with the jack to get stereo sound). The provided headset worked ok when the Bose set didn't work.

On the return flight, the flight attendant made a special announcement for BusinessFirst: "Do not leave your cellphones sitting out. They will slide into your seat, and we won't be able to get them out until we land and get a mechanic to come and disassemble the seat."

I was able to use the United Club in LAX before and after the flights. JFK club was worn down and dingy.

Overall, a positive experience. Well worth the RPUs.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coORDinates
Overall, a positive experience. Well worth the RPUs.
Absolutely.

UA867 LAX-JFK 29SEP, booked today and RPU cleared today. R=5 or something like that. BF cabin showing zero seats occupied. I don't see that often.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Report - UG's cleared about 3 weeks out.

My September LAX-JFK red-eye went R7. No email or other notice, just my morning routine of checking for R inventory. Had been waitlisted over 1 month. Called in to get upgrade to clear and seat assigned. I was the first, but apparently not the only one, as per seatmap 5 seats got taken that day. Now the flight is back to J9 R0. Seatmap still shows over 50% of J cabin open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.