Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thenecropolist
So when does United offer the $299 upgrades? Are these offers for everyone or just lower level elites?
As I posted, I got one yesterday. While waitlisted with an upgrade instrument.

Non-elites may get even more "favorable" offers.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I found R on a flight Saturday JFK-SFO about 5 days ago, the day I need to travel. I guess less business travelers and the Y cabin is showing 'Full'.

The game will continue to change, and I can accept that. MY gripe is if UA is going to stack everything in its favor to maximize profits (which is smart) at least spend some of the revenue on a website that is transparent and easily allows changing flights. The number of hours I have wasted in the last couple of years to accomplish relatively simple tasks (aka the 30 minute call), apart from when I can multitask, those are hours UA will never give me back.....

Kudos to UA reporting good earnings last quarter. The load factors surprised me. I frequently encounter int'l flight half empty in F and C....but clearly there are a lot of gluttons for punishment out there

Adam
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
United P.S. Service

Flew JFK-LAX in Y+ and J on AA's new A321T. Service, plane, etc. were all great. Is UA planning to compete with this upgraded 3-class transcon service, or no?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Flew JFK-LAX in Y+ and J on AA's new A321T. Service, plane, etc. were all great. Is UA planning to compete with this upgraded 3-class transcon service, or no?
They just completed revamping PS by switching 3 class transcon (F/J and Y+) to 2 (Lie Flat BF and Y+/Y). So no... there are no current plans to switch back to 3 class.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA will tell you they already do. The p.s. J seat is the same model as the AA A321T, although the AA birds have a slicker IFE suite (IMO) and AA meals are better. In Y, I prefer the UA seats. The major differentiating factor in favor of AA is their F product, which was recently discontinued by UA on this route and is rumored to be under serious review by AA, especially on the SFO flights.

Overall, I think AA offers the best all-around product on the route but UA does not (nor will it) need to make major changes to compete.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Is UA planning to compete with this upgraded 3-class transcon service, or no?
absolutely not. in fact, there are musings that AA might pull the F cabin from their 321Ts due to low paying customer load factors. however it's unclear how they would reconfigure them, since switching the F cabin to J would result in too many J seats and not enough Y. again this is all rumor, but a highly discussed rumor at that.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA has cut its cheapest discount business fare (P) in half and is selling buy-ups for $299 in lieu of advance upgrading elites.

That's UA's strategy for competing with AA and B6.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has cut its cheapest discount business fare (P) in half
to be fair, this is probably mostly due to significant pricing pressure from B6 and to some extent DL (who is routinely offering a $799 one way on certain flight #'s available most days of week). i'd say that the "new" pricing of the UA P fare is much more in alignment with the value of the product, however AA is offering discount biz fares at the same price point and i'd surely choose them over UA...if i wasn't busy choosing DL or B6 already.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
As long as folks are comparing to Delta and AA...

Delta varies its aircraft on the JFK-LAX route and it looks like not all BusinessElite cabins have lie-flat seats. Is this true?

According to seatguru, the AA Business seats have a width of 18.5-19.5 inches while United's width is 21 inches. That's a pretty big difference if it's true.

I fly United exclusively and find their BusinessFirst seats on ps to be very comfortable. I'm not very tall so that helps.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycityny

Delta varies its aircraft on the JFK-LAX route and it looks like not all BusinessElite cabins have lie-flat seats. Is this true?

According to seatguru, the AA Business seats have a width of 18.5-19.5 inches while United's width is 21 inches. That's a pretty big difference if it's true.

I fly United exclusively and find their BusinessFirst seats on ps to be very comfortable. I'm not very tall so that helps.
AA and UA are using the same J seats
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny

It's true that DL is not 100% lie flat on these routes. However they are converting several 757 to a 16 lie flat config much like sCO 752. Until that time you'll continue to see 757 with the "sleeper seat" on a few flights a day. I actually find this seat very comfortable for daytime travel when a lie flat isn't really necessary and as far as non lie flat goes it's among the best IMO.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
I believe UA removed all saver for all ps flights per experience.
So it seems. I was looking through the calendar and saw one 6am LAX-JFK departure with I/IN>0 over a four (or five) month period. Eek.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
So it seems. I was looking through the calendar and saw one 6am LAX-JFK departure with I/IN>0 over a four (or five) month period. Eek.
They did this months ago. The real hassle is it essentially eliminates JFK for connections to TK, OS, LH, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
I believe UA removed all saver for all ps flights per experience.
Not per my admittedly anecdotal experience. I just returned from a long weekend in NY. Booked a reward SFO-JFK-SFO about 10 days out. Got a Saver Business for the outbound segment on Friday afternoon departure. Bit the bullet and took a Standard Business for the return Monday evening because I wanted to stay in Manhattan through lunch.

For what it's worth, both flights departed on time and arrived early. Crews and catering were fine. Nothing approaching the doom and gloom regularly discussed here. I've been flying transcons in front cabins regularly since the late 80s. Sure you can argue the food service used to be more elaborate (though chateaubriand carved at the seat would gross me out today; I gave up red meat years ago) but the lie-flat seat and AVOD entertainment trump the former recliners and main screen video.

I feel like my 75,000 miles and $5 in taxes was well spent. Would not hesitate to repeat.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markedcw
Not per my admittedly anecdotal experience. I just returned from a long weekend in NY. Booked a reward SFO-JFK-SFO about 10 days out. Got a Saver Business for the outbound segment on Friday afternoon departure. Bit the bullet and took a Standard Business for the return Monday evening because I wanted to stay in Manhattan through lunch.

For what it's worth, both flights departed on time and arrived early. Crews and catering were fine. Nothing approaching the doom and gloom regularly discussed here. I've been flying transcons in front cabins regularly since the late 80s. Sure you can argue the food service used to be more elaborate (though chateaubriand carved at the seat would gross me out today; I gave up red meat years ago) but the lie-flat seat and AVOD entertainment trump the former recliners and main screen video.

I feel like my 75,000 miles and $5 in taxes was well spent. Would not hesitate to repeat.
What's your benchmark? PS isn't comparable to the rest of domestic F by any means. Plus, those crews are some of the best out there.

I don't think most of "us" have any issues with PS, save for the elimination of much of the UG/award space. It's of course a great experience - lie flats in F, food that's actually edible, low density a/c overall, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.