Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What's your benchmark? PS isn't comparable to the rest of domestic F by any means. Plus, those crews are some of the best out there.

I don't think most of "us" have any issues with PS, save for the elimination of much of the UG/award space. It's of course a great experience - lie flats in F, food that's actually edible, low density a/c overall, etc.
My benchmark comes from multiple decades of JFK/EWR-LAX/SFO non stops in the premium cabins of AA, CO, UA and a defunct carrier or two.

While this PS-specific thread isn't as harsh as others on the UA board, my reading of it was still mostly negative. I simply wanted to point out that my personal experience was positive--enough so that I prefer today's offerings over those of the past.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thenecropolist
So when does United offer the $299 upgrades? Are these offers for everyone or just lower level elites?
I just received one and my non-status flying partner did separately, both while checking in.

EDIT: I should add: the offers prior to check-in were not nearly as enticing.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
I just received one and my non-status flying partner did separately, both while checking in.

Thanks for the good data point! ^
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

is R open and is there an UG waitlist on this flight where you received the offer?

i have a trip next week with RPU waitlisted, J9/P7, and currently receiving an offer of $1534 (note that there is an onward connection included past LAX)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
is R open and is there an UG waitlist on this flight where you received the offer?
My apologies; I'm still learning the UA vernacular and processes –.how do I check for R availability and I assume it's different from just regular "are there seats available on the seating chart"?

There was an UG wait list at the airport and it was significant. At least two people were upgraded once they were seated in Economy Plus.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My apologies; I'm still learning the UA vernacular and processes –.how do I check for R availability and I assume it's different from just regular "are there seats available on the seating chart"?

There was an UG wait list at the airport and it was significant. At least two people were upgraded once they were seated in Economy Plus.
R availability is checked before the flight by enabling expert mode on UA.com (there's a thread linked in the UA master wiki here in this forum explaining expert mode) and then it shows up as an inventory bucket -- this is where RPU upgrades clear to.

it's much different than seats open on the seatmap.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:50 am

Booking P.s.

Hello all,

Please forgive my completely noob question, but I could not find answer in this thread or others. (Although this is my first post, I have been reading the forums to try and gain knowledge for almost 2 months).

I am looking to book a P.s. flight and have seen some of you mention purchasing Y and then using miles (20,000 or so) to upgrade to J. How does one go about doing this?

I am a mileage plus member, but do not have any elite status (not even premier). I have about 70,000 miles and wanted to see if I could essentially combine miles and points to fly P.s. J via some sort of upgrade.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, and I apologize in advance for what is probably a silly question.

Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by jdel06
Hello all,

Please forgive my completely noob question, but I could not find answer in this thread or others. (Although this is my first post, I have been reading the forums to try and gain knowledge for almost 2 months).

I am looking to book a P.s. flight and have seen some of you mention purchasing Y and then using miles (20,000 or so) to upgrade to J. How does one go about doing this?

I am a mileage plus member, but do not have any elite status (not even premier). I have about 70,000 miles and wanted to see if I could essentially combine miles and points to fly P.s. J via some sort of upgrade.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, and I apologize in advance for what is probably a silly question.

Thanks.
After the itinerary is ticketed, and "Upgrade" tab will appear along the top (along with Email Itinerary, Add A Car/Hotel, etc.). Click on that and it will show your options, including whether upgrade seats are immediately available or whether it would be waitlisted. Click, confirm, done!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jdel06
Hello all,

Thanks.
How to do it was answered above. Be aware, however, that if you didn't actually book the Y or B fare classes and booked something less you are subject to a copay of up to $250. The number of miles it takes and the amount of copay is based on the fare class of the economy ticket.

If you had silver status or above in mileage plus the copay would be waived.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
How to do it was answered above. Be aware, however, that if you didn't actually book the Y or B fare classes and booked something less you are subject to a copay of up to $250. The number of miles it takes and the amount of copay is based on the fare class of the economy ticket.

If you had silver status or above in mileage plus the copay would be waived.
Thanks to both posters for your help. I think I'll just fly EWR - SFO since I'm closer to EWR anyway and probably just go coach. I think I'd rather save miles for international travel.

Thanks for the tips, very helpful.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
From your experiences how do they take meal orders on P.S.? From front to back, back to front, fair paid, or by status?

I'm trying to decide between rows 4F and 5F would either be the very back of one cabin or the very front of another
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bdlman
From your experiences how do they take meal orders on P.S.? From front to back, back to front, fair paid, or by status?

I'm trying to decide between rows 4F and 5F would either be the very back of one cabin or the very front of another
IME they go front to back (asking for first choice, no guarantees) and in the galley prioritize GS, then 1Ks and then all else. Standard UA method.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...um-cabins.html
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes

Generally how they take the meal orders and how they prioritize them are not the same. Tonight on JFK-SFO they took front to back, but allocated the meals pretty much to status
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IME, ps (along with sUA TATL/TPAC) most consistently follow UA's stated policy of front to back, with GS and 1K given priority in the galley. As non GS/1K, you have a better chance of getting your first choice by sitting at the front of either of the two BF cabins (and worst chance by sitting at the back).

4F and 5F are both nice seats. 5F will have the much larger footwell.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by bdlman
WineCountryUA
CO_Nonrev_elite
Kacee

are all correct. I've seen a lower status/non status passengers receive their second choice. Just depends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.