Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
How easy has it been to upgrade to PS with miles while purchasing a coach seat? (I'm a 1K) I've had a lot of luck doing that on United First if the flight is still months out.
Same as an RPU. There's no reason to sit in coach on ps unless you must be on a specific flight. If you don't clear the waitlist, you SDC to a flight with open R at T-24.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by snic
That seems to be the case at the moment (although it's typically less than 24 hours: it opens up at night before the day of departure).
I recently had experience with this ex-LAX, it actually opens up early morning PST a few hours before the first flight. It's pretty easy to tell from the inventory availability the day before which flights will offer award space.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
How easy has it been to upgrade to PS with miles while purchasing a coach seat? (I'm a 1K) ....
While I would not say 1K upgrade is guarantee (I have missed 1 in past 3 years out of some 50 segments and none since the new config), it is generally easier than most transcons IME.

Kacee offers a strategy to use if not cleared at T-24.

There appears to be a tendency for some to hold PS C/J seats and cancel at the last moment so even sold out cabins usually end up with gate upgrades.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Same as an RPU. There's no reason to sit in coach on ps unless you must be on a specific flight. If you don't clear the waitlist, you SDC to a flight with open R at T-24.
Not so simple if the RPU is being Sponsored! They will return the RPU back to the acct it came from , so then you must get a hold of that person and ask them to reapply the RPU.

found this out the hard way while SDCing, got lucky my sponsor was around and took care of it. Now I wont SDC if the RPU wasnt out of my acct or from someone I could drop a dime and get ahold of 1-2-3. If either I cant reach them or by the time I do R=0 Im in Y
Old May 20, 2014, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craz
Not so simple if the RPU is being Sponsored! They will return the RPU back to the acct it came from , so then you must get a hold of that person and ask them to reapply the RPU.
It's an agent by agent issue. I recently successfully changed flights on a sponsored RPU without sponsor involvement.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
Suspended

It's an agent by agent issue. I recently successfully changed flights on a sponsored RPU without sponsor involvement.
My 1st SDC they said nothing till they went to take the RPUs out again and there werent any, learnt the hard way but as I said I got lucky and was able to reach my sponsor 1-2-3. After that the few times I asked about SDCing the agent mentioned , that the RPU would be redeposited and pulled and theres a chance by the time they went to pull it R=0 since R=1 and UA doesnt always open R up again.. Since they were Sponsored I said I will keep what I have

So its fair to say its a YMMV issue, and a person should keep in mind that if they SDC and the RPU was Sponsored they may have to reach the sponsor before being UPed and if they dont reach them ASAP they just might end up in Y
Old May 20, 2014, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My limited experience also -- my sponsorsees have only tried this twice and both were successful (it was GPUs and they were 1Ks)
Old May 22, 2014, 2:03 am

No! This can't be true the reason why United serves dinner is because Delta and American does on flights that leave after 8 o'clock (transcontinental only)

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Since it requires the 764 due to 77A range issues, and all 764s have the lie flat seats, just like the ps 757s, no CPUs are allowed, aside from no lounge access, isn't EWR-HNL basically just a really long ps flight?
No. Snack no Sundae

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 22, 2014 at 4:40 am Reason: merge
Old May 24, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Fare class is H. Flight is tomorrow and expert mode says R9 ,RN9
Upgrade list says I'm 4th right now.
(United Business®: 28 | Booked: 17 | Checked In: 14)
Upgrade list has 8 people on it currently
Old May 24, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC One Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.122 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Call and ask to be cleared. Your upgrade should have cleared I'd R is open
Old May 24, 2014, 7:20 pm

First agent wouldn't clear it so I'll HUCA any certain way to go about asking or should I just say since theres R space can you clear it , because the agent was like we "can"t " manually clear it ?
Old May 24, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SOORBraves
First agent wouldn't clear it so I'll HUCA any certain way to go about asking or should I just say since theres R space can you clear it , because the agent was like we "can"t " manually clear it ?
Just keep HUACA til you get an agent with half a brain
Old May 25, 2014, 12:56 am

Watch for R space and as soon as you see it call in and see if they can clear it for you?
Old May 25, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
+1 I've done it successfully with RPU and GPU.
Old May 26, 2014, 1:08 am

It all worked out finally found an agent to clear it . Flight crew was great and the food was better than expected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.