Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nycityny
This is interesting timely news for me. I'm flying JFK-LAX tomorrow and will see if I can get into the lounge. I've never been in the GlobalFirst lounge at LAX so will look forward to perhaps getting in there next week.
Print that page to show the lounge dragons and let us know what happens!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Lolz. Somebody done goofed.
Yeah my guess also.

What's the over/under on when this is corrected (or changed to GS or just paid BF)? I say 24 hours.

Also the minor point, so far BF is not offered on PS -- it is label Business , not BusinessFirst.

And if it goes to BF, what about RPUs?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yeah my guess also.

What's the over/under on when this is corrected (or changed to GS or just paid BF)? I say 24 hours.
Gotta change. I don't think they can fit 28 pax in the JFK GFL.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I could see GS but agree any more than that is an issue.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mozilla
Also a quick lounge question but regarding the GF lounges in JFK and LAX.

On http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nal_first.aspx it says:

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

... snip ...
United First® customers on p.s. flights only

Well, "United First®" aka the lowly domestic "EconomyBusiness" product is not offered on p.s. flights (at least not when I tried to book that recently), so I'm not sure what they mean with this. Does "United Business (P)", which is a better product than "United First®", qualify?

Also, if I fly BRU-EWR in "United Global First (A)", and then ARNK to JFK to connect to a p.s. flight to LAX in "United Business (P)" (no First available), can I get access to the GF lounge in JFK by showing the used GF boarding pass for the BRU-EWR segment?

Yes, it does say "by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary" but I don't trust these kind of statements at all.

I know from experience that I will get access to the LAX GF lounge if I show a BP for a connecting GF flight in EWR, even if the segment to NYC (either JFK or EWR) is in the lowest Economy class.
The JFK agents are about the nicest, most accommodating in the system. I think if you explain you are on a connecting airport with a change of terminals (EWR-JFK) because you like the p.s. service so much you will get in. It is the smallest GFL lounge, though, so don't get your hope up too high. It is quiet, nicely laid though not recently and the protein dishes like smoked salmon are kept in the refrigerator above the Perrier. The wines and champagnes are good.

Well I guess the reference to "United First®" is still on that page for people who bought a real "United First® p.s." ticket before they announced the reconfiguration to 2 class? Can they still access the GFL based on grandfather rights?

Although they started phasing out "United First® p.s." more than a year ago, so I guess there aren't that many open tickets left, if any.

However it is strange that they really do mention "United First®" on that page. That does refer to the domestic non-ps product. The actual product back then was called "United First® p.s." and that was a totally different product.
The UA website is consistently out of date. I could write a book of examples, the worst over the years being the hours of operation of their airline ticket counters. A more succinct example was a page highlighting their International First Class Service (slippers, Japanese meal selection) between Hong Kong and Tokyo long after they dropped the service.

Well guess what, I checked again today and the text on this page has been modified, 5 days after I posted the reference above. It now says:

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United BusinessFirst® customers on p.s. flights only

To me, the new text does indicate that a domestic p.s. business ticket will grant you access to the GFL. They could have just deleted the reference to United First, but no, instead they changed it to BusinessFirst p.s. Looking forward to any confirmations of this.
Please invite me when you try to get in on just a BF boarding pass. I am in the SFO GFL right now connecting on to p.s. to JFK (as a GS in BF). This was my welcome at the entrance:

Male agent takes my boarding pass without greeting me, turns to female agent to his side and says: we don't allow GS on p.s. in here any more do we, didn't we change that years ago? Female agent thinks and says, probably but it is so hard to be sure. They keep changing the rules nearly every two weeks. They seemed to be waiting for me to excuse myself and leave so I told them the rules and they simply gave me my boarding pass back and did not say anything further. In any other GFL you feel like they really value you, SFO is like they prefer no one to show up at the door.

Actually they can. I was part of a 15 person party and we easily fit in on the far side of the dividing wall where few people normally sit. I sometimes see celebrities with their entourages there which can number close to 10.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
would actually be as many as 56 at many times of the day since SFO and LAX flights often depart within same 30 minute windows

56 ppl would bring UC overcrowding complaints to a whole new level
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

56 ppl would bring UC overcrowding complaints to a whole new level
"May I sit on your lap?"
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
The answer is no

I am in the Club at JFK. I showed the nice lady at the desk a printout from the website about p.s. BusinessFirst getting into the GlobalFirst lounge. She called and brought out the guy in charge. There had apparently been a conference call about this issue and they have to change the wording again. No entry is allowed for p.s. BF passengers.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nycityny
I am in the Club at JFK. I showed the nice lady at the desk a printout from the website about p.s. BusinessFirst getting into the GlobalFirst lounge. She called and brought out the guy in charge. There had apparently been a conference call about this issue and they have to change the wording again. No entry is allowed for p.s. BF passengers.
Seeing as they admit they got it wrong, would have been nice for them to let you in once as an accommodation.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:25 am

Seeing as they admit they got it wrong, would have been nice for them to let you in once as an accommodation.
Op should write in and demand Involuntary Denied Lounge compensation

The rules then in effect clearly permitted access.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Op should write in and demand Involuntary Denied Lounge compensation

The rules then in effect clearly permitted access.
It's on a sliding scale based on how much time you intended to sit there, and how many celebrities were present.

With as much pointing to technicalities as the airlines do, it's frustrating when they screw something up in the customers' favor and then simply say "oh, that's obvs not what we meant."
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I wasn't spending much time there so didn't really care. I am on the plane now and Hulk Hogan is a few rows ahead of me, so I filled my celebrity quota.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
In the new BF seats, is it possible to stow a small carryon at your feet?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mattg
Yes
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mattg
For me it depends on the crew. I have had a couple of flight this year where nothing could be stowed on the floor or on the ottoman, not even blankets and pillows. On other flights I have had a seat mate with a roll-on computer bag in the foot well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.