Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
What aircraft will replace the 757 for the PS routes when these aircraft retire. Many of the 757 fleet are getting on in the years and let's say for the sake of argument they have 10 years left, what's next.
739s? Crap ride but what else...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Cool

What aircraft will replace the 757 for the PS routes when these aircraft retire. Many of the 757 fleet are getting on in the years and let's say for the sake of argument they have 10 years left, what's next.
ER145-XR

6 j suites for the remaining HVFs (nonrevs) still flying UA by then
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
I don't remember seeing this co-pay information in this thread, but I just noticed it in the award charts: p.s. flights now have a higher upgrade co-pay for non-premier members than other domestic flights. For example, the cheapest (S, T, K, L, G, N) fares require a $250 co-pay, W requires a $225 co-pay, V requires a $175 co-pay, H/Q require a $175 co-pay, and M/E/U require a $75 co-pay.

The co-pay is still waived for premier members.

It's one thing to have a $600 co-pay on a 16 hour flight to HKG, but I would be pretty disappointed if I paid a $250 upgrade co-pay on the late JFK-LAX flight that has recently turned into a snack-only (no full multi-course dinner) flight.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Copay-friendly?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by aindfan
I don't remember seeing this co-pay information in this thread, but I just noticed it in the award charts: p.s. flights now have a higher upgrade co-pay for non-premier members than other domestic flights. For example, the cheapest (S, T, K, L, G, N) fares require a $250 co-pay, W requires a $225 co-pay, V requires a $175 co-pay, H/Q require a $175 co-pay, and M/E/U require a $75 co-pay.

The co-pay is still waived for premier members.

It's one thing to have a $600 co-pay on a 16 hour flight to HKG, but I would be pretty disappointed if I paid a $250 upgrade co-pay on the late JFK-LAX flight that has recently turned into a snack-only (no full multi-course dinner) flight.
this, coupled with the new B6 service, shows what a joke UA has made the upgrade process when it comes to non-status flyers.

advance purchase on B6 is $599 one way in Mint.

earlier this year i purchased a $250 one way S fare on JFK-LAX, now they are saying $250 copay plus miles if i didn't have status? in other words, $500 cash, plus the miles...LOL... next year i wouldn't be surprised to see copays show up for silvers or maybe even silvers and golds.

heck, even DL is offering some of their one ways at $799 now, and the service is 200% of what UA's is.

we are going to start flying Mint for our t-con redeyes, unless the DL flights drop to sub $600 as well with the pricing pressure from B6.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aindfan
To the extent the increased co-pays discourage non-elite upgrades, they will leave more R available for Premiers.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
What boarding door do they use at SFO? I assume 2L? I ask because I have a relatively short connection in SFO to ICN and so I'm debating between 1E and 5E. Leaning towards 5E so I can get off the plane more quickly if in fact 2L is used at SFO. Otherwise I'll go with 1E if 1L is used
Always 2L in SFO.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
UA could in theory use any BF equipped aircraft. If they ever decide to fly TATL stuff out of JFK, then ps routes could also be a good way to move intl jets around hub to hub in addition to serving the ps routes.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
UA could in theory use any BF equipped aircraft. If they ever decide to fly TATL stuff out of JFK, then ps routes could also be a good way to move intl jets around hub to hub in addition to serving the ps routes.
Not really. They need more frequency than wide bodies allow and more front cabin seats than intl 752 has.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

The 788s essentially have the same hard product as the ps 757s, no? Well other than WiFi, which is supposedly coming. Once the 787 fleet as a whole gets larger, why not make them the replacement? None of the other narrowbody planes are big enough, to me anyway. Could reconfigure a handful of them to make more room in Y and reduce the capacity a bit. To me that seems like a good use for the type of plane it is. And by then reliability concerns shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Why talk about replacements?

Why is there a discussion about replacing the 757 ps aircraft? United just reconfigured ps to the current fleet within the last couple of years. It would seem that replacements are not in the cards for several years.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
The 788s essentially have the same hard product as the ps 757s, no? Well other than WiFi, which is supposedly coming. Once the 787 fleet as a whole gets larger, why not make them the replacement? None of the other narrowbody planes are big enough, to me anyway. Could reconfigure a handful of them to make more room in Y and reduce the capacity a bit. To me that seems like a good use for the type of plane it is. And by then reliability concerns shouldn't be as much of an issue.
On United? Now THAT's funny.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Stop by the dispensary on the way home from work, did you?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Booked LAX-JFK on Wed for flight on Friday. No R inventory at time of booking but about 6 BF available for sale. At T-24 R=2 so I called and had them confirm the waitlisted upgrade.

Flew AA JFK-LAX on Tuesday in F on the A321T. It was awesome.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jun 19, 2014 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Hmm.. kinda like what DL does with their TATL 757 and 767?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.