Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
RPU just will not clear

been waitlisted since January booked two passengers on UA535, cleared 1/2 into R at booking. now ~6 weeks out, still nada when it comes to WL clearance or open R to call in for.

seat map looks identical to what it did the day i booked (3/28 occupied including my companion, J=9) and economy is also a desert of open seats with ~4 E+ and ~10 E- seats booked.

throw me a freaking bone here, $mi$ek...

/rant off
Old May 30, 2014, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

been waitlisted since January booked two passengers on UA535, cleared 1/2 into R at booking. now ~6 weeks out, still nada when it comes to WL clearance or open R to call in for.
It's unlikely to open until you're within two weeks of departure (and likely a bit later than that). No point even expecting that it will. R opens early and late on this route, not in between.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
RPU just will not clear

seat map looks identical to what it did the day i booked (3/28 occupied including my companion, J=9) and economy is also a desert of open seats with ~4 E+ and ~10 E- seats booked.

throw me a freaking bone here, $mi$ek...

/rant off
Keep watching it like a hawk. I booked a family trip this summer LAX-JFK-LAX, party of 4 each leg. The returned cleared at booking time. The outbound was R1 at booking. The flight went R1 on Monday, and R1 and Thursday. Both times I had to call in and get agent to clear the UG manually. Still waiting for the last one to open R1.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:18 pm

Extra info available about flights (especially helpful for P.S./transcon):

enroute weather: www.aviationweather.gov
scroll to the bottom to select a variety of charts: look under 'OBSERVATIONS' (near the center) for 'radar' to get a visual look at the days challenges!
look under 'FORECASTS' (first column) for 'turbulence' and chose the bottom chart (Graphical Turbulence Guidance). You must choose your altitude (not the 'max' option first displayed) to see forecast rides. Selecting appropriate time will make it more accurate:
www.fltplan.com can give you the actual route filed for your flight but not until it's in the ATC system. Until then it is just a graphic of the great circle route with the scheduled flight time. Once ATC has it you will see a graphic of the filed route, see the route and the actual forecast times. When the flight is airborne you can follow it, see altitude, speed and even ATC reroutes.

Don't forget the United app for smart devices. Excellent way to keep updated on flights. For instance, UA314 will once again be departing late thanks to the inbound aircraft's (760 from SFO) being it's typical late arrival (some of that is the runway work at SFO, some is the weather enroute).

We'll do our best to get 314 to LAX on-time despite this challenge.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Upgrade cleared but needed to be re-synced

So my upgrade for June 18 cleared on Thursday after about a month on the waitlist. I received an email advising me of the news at 6:30am and at 9:30am looked at my reservation. Sure enough, as always, I had to call in to have the reservation re-synced prior to being able to select a seat.

This has been going on since the reservation system conversion in March 2012. Why can they not get this fixed?

As an aside, I continue to have excellent luck clearing upgrades on p.s. It often happens weeks before the flight. If it doesn't happen that early then it always happens about 25 hours before the flight. I have not missed one in years, even with all the ups and downs in R availability. I even had a weather delay in winter that forced me to fly two days later and I cleared on that flight as well in the 25 hour window. I am only Platinum and purchase inexpensive fares. Go figure.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What boarding door do they use at SFO? I assume 2L? I ask because I have a relatively short connection in SFO to ICN and so I'm debating between 1E and 5E. Leaning towards 5E so I can get off the plane more quickly if in fact 2L is used at SFO. Otherwise I'll go with 1E if 1L is used
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
What boarding door do they use at SFO? I assume 2L? I ask because I have a relatively short connection in SFO to ICN and so I'm debating between 1E and 5E. Leaning towards 5E so I can get off the plane more quickly if in fact 2L is used at SFO. Otherwise I'll go with 1E if 1L is used
It was 2L today on arrival at SFO, but I guess it really depends on what gate they are using. On departure from JFK, it was the 1L door.

I don't know if SFO has any gates that mandate use of the 1L door or not.

Flight left with 4 open seats in C.

On arrival at SFO, learned that UC access is now granted for my domestic connecting flight from PS to domestic F.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Op up?

Bought a last minute ticket JFK-LAX this week, U fare class both legs. On my return trip on Saturday afternoon, I was upgraded to business class without using an instrument or miles (or paying). Nice surprise! I assume Y was full and they needed a few more seats. Business went out with a few empties. Thanks UA!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Yes, that was very nice for you, but what does it say about UA's operations?

I have regularly flown PS aircraft between LAX/SFO-JFK since it was introduced. Never saw an empty seat in C. Yes, F often was not full, but UA took care of that (and ceded that traffic to AA).

You were just oped-up. There were 4 open C seats on my flight.

When I checked-in at JFK, the agent saw the Delta ID tag on my bag and I jokingly said to ignore it. The agent then mentioned how premium passenger loads out of JFK are dropping dramatically and how many of this regular passengers have moved to DL and AA.

I admitted that this was one of my last flights on UA and only flew UA to burn up the remaining HK50 I had.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
The agent then mentioned how premium passenger loads out of JFK are dropping dramatically and how many of this regular passengers have moved to DL and AA.
Wow, that is an interesting tidbit. I wonder what United will do about that. In the meantime I guess that means easier upgrades for those of us who stick with United.

Delta recently eliminated complimentary upgrades on JFK-West Coast routes which matches United. I guess their product is just nicer than United's.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It was 2L today on arrival at SFO, but I guess it really depends on what gate they are using. On departure from JFK, it was the 1L door.

I don't know if SFO has any gates that mandate use of the 1L door or not
Hmm okay I'll go with 5E and see what happens come day of
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
that has 100% been my experience also
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Continental
Flying PS tomorrow SFO-JFK, unfortunately airborne during the stanley cup playoff game.
How strong is the wifi on these flights?
Will I be able to use the NBC app on my tablet, or will I just be frustrated by the service?
(already frustrated by the referees)
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Flying PS tomorrow SFO-JFK, unfortunately airborne during the stanley cup playoff game.
How strong is the wifi on these flights?
Will I be able to use the NBC app on my tablet, or will I just be frustrated by the service?
(already frustrated by the referees)
I streamed the Super Bowl off my Slingbox back in Feb on PS - bad game, but good frame rate
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
What aircraft will replace the 757 for the PS routes when these aircraft retire. Many of the 757 fleet are getting on in the years and let's say for the sake of argument they have 10 years left, what's next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.