Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: Continental
Wonder how the new JetBlue "Mint" A321 will effect the UA flights...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Agreed. I'm about to book some Mint flights myself in lieu of UA. I kinda feel bad but the product looks really great and the price is right.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Originally Posted by nyctravis
Agreed. I'm about to book some Mint flights myself in lieu of UA. I kinda feel bad but the product looks really great and the price is right.
DL is already giving into the pricing pressure. Their early AM and redeye departures from SFO/LAX are now $799 (formerly $999) one way. UA and AA are still selling around $1000 one way, higher out of SFO.

Mint will be our new choice for redeye transcon travel; we used to do SMF-LAX-EWR until UA pulled all the lie flat 752s off the redeye and tightened R up like a drum. Mrs. PV_ likes flying redeyes so as to not waste the day en route, I can't fly them and feel like a real person the next day without a lie flat. We'll fly Mint eastbound from SFO and Delta or AS back into SMF.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: delta PM, united G, marriott titanium, hilton diamond, avis preferred, hertz pres circle
Booked JFK-LAX (p.s.) back in February for a mid-July flight. applied a Regional Upgrade but got waitlisted. Yesterday got the notice that my upgrade has been approved. And today got the notice that my LAX-EWR upgrade on the 757 lie-flat was approved. I am 30 days out from my flights.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:54 pm

why is this on the UA site?
put on the jet blue site
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trk1
why is this on the UA site?
put on the jet blue site
Please consider using the quote feature; post numbers sometimes change, and this method of referring to other posts is very confusing.

The competitive offerings are plainly relevant here, and they're already starting to affect UA's pricing, I think.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond, SPG Gold (lifetime)
Now with Delta jumping into lie flat transcon do we think UA will correct its mistake and refocus on its NY hub with this service? Just to remind them it is EWR, not JFK and there are many of us EWRer's that would rather not fly than fly out of JFK.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by millburnmike
Now with Delta jumping into lie flat transcon do we think UA will correct its mistake and refocus on its NY hub with this service? Just to remind them it is EWR, not JFK and there are many of us EWRer's that would rather not fly than fly out of JFK.
JFK gets the good planes and better service because that's where the premium market is. Not EWR.

They call it being hub captive for a reason. And a bonus, EWR flyers get monopolistic pricing with the mediocre planes and service.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: -
Upgrade

Flying ua912 in a couple weeks on a sunday. Sponsor would be a Gold member.

Should I even bother trying to upgrade with miles? I imagine it's pretty tough to clear? I realize it will depend on circumstances, but just wondering if it's even worth trying. Showing J 9 as of now.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jfkcnf

Should I even bother trying to upgrade with miles? I imagine it's pretty tough to clear? I realize it will depend on circumstances, but just wondering if it's even worth trying. Showing J 9 as of now.

Thanks!
Is worth attempting -- yes.
Golds have been known to clear.
Is it a certainty - no.
It is likely -- probably no for many flights.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
there is little risk in trying. i think the chances are probably 1 in 4 but who knows.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

Thanks!
912, the LAX-JFK red-eye? Sometimes the red-eye flight # changes. I suggest you give it a try. I've not missed an UG on the red-eye, and sometimes it even goes out with an empty seat (not often)

Then check R inventory every day, especially the morning of the flight. If you see R>0, call ASAP. I just had LAX-JFK clear UG 4 days prior.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: -
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did request the upgrade and it says I'm on the waitlist. Regarding R>0 does UA not process it automatically? (Sorry, have never done a mileage upgrade before)

Thanks again.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did request the upgrade and it says I'm on the waitlist. Regarding R>0 does UA not process it automatically? (Sorry, have never done a mileage upgrade before)

Thanks again.
Decently often yes if outside T-24; most likely not inside T-24

If you haven't cleared by T-24, usually that's when R space blows right open (if biz still for sale), yet the don't auto-clear the WL. It's a *great* system.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K

I had a two person R waitlist clear for the first time yesterday about 2 weeks out for a 6:30pm JFK to SFO flight. The ticket was out of sync for about a day until I called to have it reissued, but I'm impressed to at least see the waitlist clearing. This is the first time that I've seen my waitlisted p.s. upgrade clear in advance since the pre-reconfiguration days (2012) when R would reliably open 28 days out. Otherwise, I've had my upgrades clear within T-24 with a few HUACAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.