Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: -
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Decently often yes if outside T-24; most likely not inside T-24

If you haven't cleared by T-24, usually that's when R space blows right open (if biz still for sale), yet the don't auto-clear the WL. It's a *great* system.
Thanks, will make sure I check within t-24. Any way I can see where I stand in the standby list now? Or is that only available at t-24?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Thanks, will make sure I check within t-24. Any way I can see where I stand in the standby list now? Or is that only available at t-24?
Not really until T-24 and when you check in
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:02 pm

Anyone have any idea why there is ps 757 scheduled to fly DEN-LAX tomorrow night as flight #815?

Looking at "where is this aircraft coming from" on the app, it's currently flying JFK-SFO right now. Then overnighting and flying SFO-SAN tomorrow morning, then SAN-EWR, EWR-DEN, and then finally DEN-LAX. If the goal is to reposition it to LAX, why fly it all around the country instead of just doing SFO-LAX?

Just seems odd to me and I can't think of a reason why they'd schedule it like this, especially since it doesn't even have enough seats for all the pax on those flights.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: -
Early Morning Menu

Call me an alcoholic, but does anybody know what kind of drinks/food service is offered on the 6:30am JFK-LAX?

Would be flying for vacation, so was looking forward to having a few drinks before taking a nap... I imagine the stuff they serve in J isn't drinkable by itself, but a mimosa wouldn't be so bad
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Call me an alcoholic, but does anybody know what kind of drinks/food service is offered on the 6:30am JFK-LAX?

Would be flying for vacation, so was looking forward to having a few drinks before taking a nap... I imagine the stuff they serve in J isn't drinkable by itself, but a mimosa wouldn't be so bad
In business, choice of eggs, french toast, or cereal. Comes with a side of yogurt, cut fruit, and croissant or cinnamon rolls. Snack basket throughout the flight.

Full bar is available, including "champagne". Mimosa is excellent. Ask them to "supersize" it and put it in a water glass instead of wine glass.

In coach - buy on board, with 1 hot item. The usual list plus half bottle of pinot noir and chardonnay.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
If its a good crew, they will know to supersize it automatically.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:38 pm

You'll be able to have any drink you want that would otherwise be available at a later flight time, barring out of the ordinary exceptions. Enjoy!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I enjoy the Bloody Mary mix with Tito's handmade vodka. Had 2 on the flight to NYC last week.

Our return flight is tomorrow, Flt 841, and I think there are going to be some happy OP-UPs to J, best I can tell. I've not seen anything like this before, as it appears they way oversold Y. When I checked our seats a few minutes ago, seatmap is showing 12 open seats, while checking R inventory, I see:

Available Cabins: J3, JN3, C3, D3, Z3, ZN3, P3, PN3, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y1, YN1, B1, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

I know seatmap and inventory never match up perfectly, but J3 with seatmap showing 12 open?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I enjoy the Bloody Mary mix with Tito's handmade vodka. Had 2 on the flight to NYC last week.

Our return flight is tomorrow, Flt 841, and I think there are going to be some happy OP-UPs to J, best I can tell. I've not seen anything like this before, as it appears they way oversold Y. When I checked our seats a few minutes ago, seatmap is showing 12 open seats, while checking R inventory, I see:

Available Cabins: J3, JN3, C3, D3, Z3, ZN3, P3, PN3, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y1, YN1, B1, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

I know seatmap and inventory never match up perfectly, but J3 with seatmap showing 12 open?
Yes they are blocking seven J seats on that flight (booked to 18). The other possibility is you are going to have an equipment swap.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
I have some rudimentary questions regarding upgrades of companions.

I'll be flying with my girlfriend JFK->SFO but on a separate PNR; I'm Platinum, she's not. With Delta, I could direct message them and have her put in economy plus with me, even though she's on a separate PNR. Am I still able to do that on United?

She's leaving on a different flight than me and it's a Sunday red-eye. Can I use an RPU to upgrade her? If I'm "sponsoring" her, does that mean my status bumps her higher on the upgrade list? Can I sponsor a mileage upgrade or only an RPU?
And what are the chances of either instrument going through for a discounted economy fare (i.e., is it even remotely possible)?

Thank you for any help!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
I'll be flying with my girlfriend JFK->SFO but on a separate PNR; I'm Platinum, she's not. With Delta, I could direct message them and have her put in economy plus with me, even though she's on a separate PNR. Am I still able to do that on United?
Yes. Call.

She's leaving on a different flight than me and it's a Sunday red-eye. Can I use an RPU to upgrade her? If I'm "sponsoring" her, does that mean my status bumps her higher on the upgrade list? Can I sponsor a mileage upgrade or only an RPU?
You can sponsor her with your RPU and your status carries over. You can do this on-line or by phone.

And what are the chances of either instrument going through for a discounted economy fare (i.e., is it even remotely possible)?
The odds are very good if you pick the right flight.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have some rudimentary questions regarding upgrades of companions.

Thank you for any help!
Yes (call).

Yes.

Both.

Unballparkable, need more details.

EDIT: Lolz, Kacee, should we coordinate what posts we respond to?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Unballparkable, need more details.
Thanks, guys! It's the Sunday, August 3rd redeye on a W fare.

I've noticed ExpertFlyer can't reveal upgrade availability, so that's a bummer.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:30 am

Thanks, guys! It's the Sunday, August 3rd redeye on a W fare.

I've noticed ExpertFlyer can't reveal upgrade availability, so that's a bummer.
The red-eyes can be difficult upgrades. That one's only booked 3/28 though, so there's some hope.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K

For anyone keeping track, this evening's UA514 (6:29PM to SFO) was swapped to a domestic sUA 757. The email that United sent this morning offering rebooking to a p.s. plane had a phone number that didn't work. The waiver made it easy enough to switch flights, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.