Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
woof, i'm on 703 right now and it's been a couple months since i've flown ps in bf, and just remembered the hard way that they dropped the garlic bread. seriously, how much money could that possibly be saving? there goes my favorite in-flight bread.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew up front on JFK-SFO last week and loved the "seasonal touches" that the FA added, including the dry ice "fog" on the dessert cart ^

See here: https://plus.google.com/108830156599...ts/JBciXEDwuCY
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
UA703 JFK-LAX this past saturday 9/27 on a W fare i was upgraded without using an instrument or paying a dime. simply checked my boarding pass (after buying breakfast at mcdonalds) and my seat changed to BF (although my 'class' still said united economy (W)).

flight was very full in the back - was this simply an issue of UA wanting to clear the standby list and not enough people taking a TOD offer?

Last edited by riphamilton; Sep 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
UA703 JFK-LAX this past saturday 9/27 on a W fare i was upgraded without using an instrument or paying a dime. simply checked my boarding pass (after buying breakfast at mcdonalds) and my seat changed to BF (although my 'class' still said united economy (W)).

flight was very full in the back - was this simply an issue of UA wanting to clear the standby list and not enough people taking a TOD offer?
That's a very rare OP-UP (as indicated by the economy booking class). A little surprised you got one as a Plat. Must have been a GS/1K light flight.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by riphamilton

Flight probably wasn't just very full, it was probably overbooked. Op-ups like this have been reported reasonably often.

UA generally will not op-up to clear the standby list.

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Flew up front on JFK-SFO last week and loved the "seasonal touches" that the FA added, including the dry ice "fog" on the dessert cart ^

See here: https://plus.google.com/108830156599...ts/JBciXEDwuCY
That's great!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
UA generally will not op-up to clear the standby list.
No, they won't. And they'll put nonrevs in the empty BF seats unless they're forced to OP-UP revenue pax to deal with the oversell.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
... unless they're forced to OP-UP revenue pax to deal with the oversell.
Which happens often enough on ps.

Anyway flew 867 (LAX-JFK) yesterday and the sole rev passenger on the upgrade list cleared either at the gate or after boarding. A non rev was cleared after boarding into the last open seat.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I was on 703 yesterday and it went out with 2 empty seats in BF. I was in my "normal" 4E aisle seat and 4F was surprisingly empty. So I moved to the window when the door was closed and enjoyed it.

When they came to take my food order the flight attendant was confused and I just explained that I had moved over. She had been asking for 1st and 2nd food choices and so I preempted her speech and gave her my 1st and 2nd choices. She smiled and whispered to me that I get my 1st choice anyway. That surprised me because they do it by status level and I'm "only" Platinum. I guess there are a lot of paying folks in BF on these flights with no status?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by nycityny
I was on 703 yesterday and it went out with 2 empty seats in BF. I was in my "normal" 4E aisle seat and 4F was surprisingly empty. So I moved to the window when the door was closed and enjoyed it.

When they came to take my food order the flight attendant was confused and I just explained that I had moved over. She had been asking for 1st and 2nd food choices and so I preempted her speech and gave her my 1st and 2nd choices. She smiled and whispered to me that I get my 1st choice anyway. That surprised me because they do it by status level and I'm "only" Platinum. I guess there are a lot of paying folks in BF on these flights with no status?
Probably because you're the last person they took the order in 4E/F, and based on what others have ordered, she can tell what she can offer you.

My other guess is you ordered the beef dish. They always load a ton of beef, and very little pasta.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha

My other guess is you ordered the beef dish. They always load a ton of beef, and very little pasta.
I had the chicken. I know that pasta is the least stocked selection and I never order it anyway. For me the chicken or beef is fine so if I don't get my first choice I'm OK. I always end up getting it anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
That surprised me because they do it by status level and I'm "only" Platinum. I guess there are a lot of paying folks in BF on these flights with no status?
They do not "do it by status level."

GS & 1K get priority. That's all.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BF seat maps blocked

I have been looking at a few p.s. flights a couple of weeks out and mysteriously all BF seats are show occupied = full cabin, while the flight is selling J9 C9 D9 .......
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I have been looking at a few p.s. flights a couple of weeks out and mysteriously all BF seats are show occupied = full cabin, while the flight is selling J9 C9 D9 .......
You gotta search for J to see the J seatmap on that route.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That explains it. Those are the flights (typically the only ones) they open I/IN on as well within a day or two of departure. Terrible timing unless you are returning home to NY from business on the west coast.
IME, the early morning flights (6h-ish dpt) also clear not too badly - especially midweek.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
Question re: upgrade waitlist. I am booked on UA 766 JFK-SFO on 10/13. I requested a mileage upgrade several weeks ago. However, when I checked the flight status this morning, the upgrade page states "No customers currently waiting to upgrade". I double checked my reservation which still states "Upgrade Requested".

Since this is a non CPU route is there a different timing from when the waitlist is published? I'm assuming this maybe gets populated at time of check in /T-24?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.