Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 3, 16, 4:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mkasperzak
Wiki Link
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jan 4, 14, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Discoverist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That generally applies to over-water legs. Too much of a gamble for me IMO to hope you can get them returned domestically.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by matkusopet View Post
Hi all,

I did some FT digging, but am still a little unclear about this issue. Anyway, I applied two GPUs on my PSP-LAX-JFK (the second leg being in PS), which is currently waitlisted, although the PSP-LAX component cleared immediately. Does UA consider PS BusinessFirst for the purposes of a GPU redeposit if the LAX-JFK segments don't clear, according to ua.com:

"In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded."

I certainly wouldn't want to waste two good GPUs on just the first leg. So, do I pull the GPUs or will I get them back of the PS leg doesn't clear?

Thanks for your input!
ps is not yet sold as a BF route. So if I were you I would call and have the GPUs applied only to the transcon segments. You can then apply them to the PSP-LAX segments if/when the transcon clears.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:19 am

Programs: Premier 1K (Former CO Plat)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I'll be making 1K in about a week and this will be my first time using UA GPU. I was looking at some fares for upcoming travel from NY to Europe.

Fare Class: Q
777 EWR-BRU
It shows:
Available Cabins: F5, FN5, A5, ON4, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

The R inventory is what I am looking for right? I could book the coach ticket and then apply a GPU for BF and should have a good chance to upgrade, right?
I am trying to find out the meaning of the various references to cabin and inventory availability (e.g. such notes as "Z", "R9", etc.) that I find in these threads, and their significance when it comes to RPU and booking when you hope to use and RPU or GPU. How do you know what fare class is being offered, or if there are more than one, how you select the one that is likely to get an RPU upgrade, etc. I have had bad luck with RPU and find that when I do get it (I am a 1K) is is often on a flight that is far from full, and where even Golds have been upgraded, so I would have been upgraded without the RPU, but they took it away from me anyway, a waste of a "perk" that I am not sure is worth much in any event.
Old Jan 4, 14, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I am trying to find out the meaning of the various references to cabin and inventory availability (e.g. such notes as "Z", "R9", etc.) that I find in these threads, and their significance when it comes to RPU and booking when you hope to use and RPU or GPU. How do you know what fare class is being offered, or if there are more than one, how you select the one that is likely to get an RPU upgrade, etc. I have had bad luck with RPU and find that when I do get it (I am a 1K) is is often on a flight that is far from full, and where even Golds have been upgraded, so I would have been upgraded without the RPU, but they took it away from me anyway, a waste of a "perk" that I am not sure is worth much in any event.
You need to go to your search preferences and enable Expert Mode (this blog shows you how: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...s-expert-mode/)
And then you can see that Fare Class will change color when you are searching for flights and you can hover over for inventory. To put it short if you are looking to purchase Economy and use a GPU for BusinessFirst you have to purchase the Economy ticket in W fare or higher and want to look for R space being high for the chance of near instant upgrade once you apply the GPU.

Other people here or blogs can explain it better.
Old Jan 4, 14, 11:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
You need to go to your search preferences and enable Expert Mode (this blog shows you how: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...s-expert-mode/)
additionally suggest referencing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Old Jan 4, 14, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
After several years of enjoying C and F due to his overly-generous employer, my husband recently switched companies and finds himself in Y for all flights and so for the first time he has applied a GPU to upgrade from Y to C after having previously only using GPU's on LH C to F (good times ).

So, on a flight SFO-LHR I called up UA and he was confirmed in BF on the outbound leg and waitlisted on the way back. However, the agent charged him $110.50 (she said it was roundtrip but it is pending twice on his CC). She claims it is an LHR airport tax charged because he is travelling in C. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by janehoya; Jan 4, 14 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 4, 14, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janehoya View Post
After several years of enjoying C and F due to his overly-generous employer, my husband recently switched companies and finds himself in Y for all flights and so for the first time he has applied a GPU to upgrade from Y to C after having previously used all his GPU's on LH C to F (good times ).

So, on a flight SFO-LHR I called up UA and he was confirmed in BF on the outbound leg and waitlisted on the way back. However, the agent charged him $110.50 (she said it was roundtrip but it is pending twice on his CC). She claims it is an LHR airport tax charged because he is travelling in C. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your assistance.
That is correct. When you upgrade going to/from LHR you pay the LHR tax for C even if wait listed. You get it back if don't clear.
Old Jan 4, 14, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
That is correct. When you upgrade going to/from LHR you pay the LHR tax for C even if wait listed. You get it back if don't clear.
Thank you so much for your post. It's a sad world we live in when I take your word over the UA agent's.

Last edited by janehoya; Jan 4, 14 at 7:05 pm
Old Jan 4, 14, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
You get it back if don't clear.
And of course as with all things United, you may have to call if it does not clear - like the RPU I sponsored for a friend

It's a sad world we live in when I take your word over the UA agent's.
Then again, many of us are more knowledgeable, especially the Manila agents
Old Jan 4, 14, 7:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Quick question - probably already answered but couldn't find this - for an upgradeable leg, at this point in time (Jan'14) is it better to keep checking for availability in R fare and apply the GPU when it appears, or rather to waitlist the upgrade? If the latter, does one still need to call UA to process the waitlisted upgrade when R becomes available?

Last edited by maduarte; Jan 4, 14 at 7:04 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:02 pm

Sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's or because LH would eat the fee?

My husband also sponsored friends from Y to C on LH once and they didn't pay a fee either.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's or because LH would eat the fee?

My husband also sponsored friends from Y to C on LH once and they didn't pay a fee either.
This is a specific LHR fee when terminating or originating at LHR. Or maybe a UK fee.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's
Yes.

This is a specific LHR fee when terminating or originating at LHR. Or maybe a UK fee.
I'm pretty sure it's LHR only.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:10 pm

Thank you.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by maduarte View Post
Quick question - probably already answered but couldn't find this - for an upgradeable leg, at this point in time (Jan'14) is it better to keep checking for availability in R fare and apply the GPU when it appears, or rather to waitlist the upgrade? If the latter, does one still need to call UA to process the waitlisted upgrade when R becomes available?
I go the waitlisted approach. I have had very few issues of waitlist not clearing if R>0 and I have waitlist clear when R never was >0. Plus you lose priority based on time of request. Once you get with T-24, things are different and watching is needed.

Not waitlisting far out is a foolish approach in my mind.

Sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's or because LH would eat the fee? ...
The German tax structured differently and is less (and believe F & Business are the same fee -- so no additional for F). LHR (APD) & CDG taxes are larger especially for the premium cabin. some are arrival taxes, some are departure taxes, usually transition through the airport is untaxed.

Search this Thread