Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 3, 16, 4:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mkasperzak
Wiki Link
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 14, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
That is correct. When you upgrade going to/from LHR you pay the LHR tax for C even if wait listed. You get it back if don't clear.
Sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's or because LH would eat the fee?

My husband also sponsored friends from Y to C on LH once and they didn't pay a fee either.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janehoya View Post
Sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's or because LH would eat the fee?

My husband also sponsored friends from Y to C on LH once and they didn't pay a fee either.
This is a specific LHR fee when terminating or originating at LHR. Or maybe a UK fee.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's
Yes.

This is a specific LHR fee when terminating or originating at LHR. Or maybe a UK fee.
I'm pretty sure it's LHR only.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Thank you.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maduarte View Post
Quick question - probably already answered but couldn't find this - for an upgradeable leg, at this point in time (Jan'14) is it better to keep checking for availability in R fare and apply the GPU when it appears, or rather to waitlist the upgrade? If the latter, does one still need to call UA to process the waitlisted upgrade when R becomes available?
I go the waitlisted approach. I have had very few issues of waitlist not clearing if R>0 and I have waitlist clear when R never was >0. Plus you lose priority based on time of request. Once you get with T-24, things are different and watching is needed.

Not waitlisting far out is a foolish approach in my mind.

Sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Why did my husband never have to pay a fee when upgrading from C to F on LH to FRA/MUC? Is it because they don't have a similar tax to LHR's or because LH would eat the fee? ...
The German tax structured differently and is less (and believe F & Business are the same fee -- so no additional for F). LHR (APD) & CDG taxes are larger especially for the premium cabin. some are arrival taxes, some are departure taxes, usually transition through the airport is untaxed.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's a UK fee for departing the U.K. in a premium cabin. Doesn't apply to arrivals or transits. It's now about $300.00 for a departure in F to LAX.

But if you fly, e.g., BRU-xLHR-oLAX in F, you don't pay it.
Old Jan 5, 14, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
It's a UK fee for departing the U.K. in a premium cabin. Doesn't apply to arrivals or transits. It's now about $300.00 for a departure in F to LAX.
Thank you. As I understand, it is only applicable to his LHR-SFO leg. He should not pay it for SFO-LHR, correct?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 14 at 10:54 am Reason: fix html
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
Thank you. As I understand, it is only applicable to his LHR-SFO leg. He should not pay it for SFO-LHR, correct?
LHR APD is only a departure tax, it will not be charged for arrival or transit.
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Apply Expiring GPU to Future Travel?

I have 3 GPUs that are expiring on January 31, 2014.

Can I apply them to travel that is booked before that date but happens after that date?
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sorry, no. Travel must take place on or before the expiration. A separate thread in this forum describes how some members have been able to have the expiration of two GPUs extended into 2014.
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:53 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer View Post
I have 3 GPUs that are expiring on January 31, 2014.

Can I apply them to travel that is booked before that date but happens after that date?
No, if you have requalified they may extend a month or two but ymmv.
Old Jan 5, 14, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Sorry, no. Travel must take place on or before the expiration. A separate thread in this forum describes how some members have been able to have the expiration of two GPUs extended into 2014.
That sounds promising. I can't find the link. Could someone please link to it?

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
No, if you have requalified they may extend a month or two but ymmv.
I only re-qualified for Platinum (though I got DL and UA Platinum now).
Old Jan 5, 14, 11:28 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer View Post
That sounds promising. I can't find the link. Could someone please link to it?

I only re-qualified for Platinum (though I got DL and UA Platinum now).
here it is

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...an-2014-a.html
Old Jan 5, 14, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by qisu View Post
qisu, very helpful, thanks!
Old Jan 5, 14, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
LHR APD is only a departure tax, it will not be charged for arrival or transit.
Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Search this Thread